Difference in A/C and non A/C fan clutch for a 79’ FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

desmocruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone compared the 2 different fan clutches available for the 79’ and I presume later with and without A/C for differences?

I am looking for a little better cooling on my 79’ FJ40 with aftermarket (CCOT) A/C.

While stopped my engine temperature rises not to hot or even to the hash before the H, but definitely gets noticeably warmer. I can lower the temp by raising the engine RPM a few hundred.

After reading several threads I feel this could be due to the original fan clutch getting weaker and am going to replace with a new OEM.

My thought is to replace with the one designated for factory A/C (even know my ac is aftermarket) in hopes that will engage a slightly lower Temp and help overall cooling.

Anyone else tried this change?

Last edited:
Here is a comparison of the new 79’ OEM fan clutch w/cooler (lower in the image) and the one I removed.

Can anyone verify if the one removed is a Toyota part or aftermarket?

55486474-7794-4557-94E1-3D6AD5A3D2FD.jpeg

6183651A-080D-44DC-B908-F7119B7D8F50.jpeg

F1F9FC1B-D45C-49CD-8780-FED486E8F011.jpeg

I’m not sure if there is a difference, but you might look at TPIs web site, they sell a water pump, fan and clutch that they advertise Toyota used in hotter climates. This is the assembly they also sell with their Vintage air kits.

I have their kit installed on my rig and all works well.

The link with the description below.

Don't quote me on this, but my recollection of the AC vs. non-AC fan clutch was just that the AC one pulled the fan in closer to the clutch to make room for the condenser. So the one above with the red fan mount would be an AC version.

Thanks, that could be true and it seems I also read that the factory radiator for the factory A/C equipped trucks was thicker.

However, when I compared the 2 dimensionally, I didn’t find any size differences, just a couple of design variations.

Maybe someone can post another picture of a factory non A/C fan clutch to verify the one I removed was the original factory non A/C type?

I am Uncertain if the one I removed was the factory original due to the fact I could get a box end wrench onto the bolts without issue to remove and that was counter to most threads I read prior.

On the new one added, there is a shoulder (circled in red) that made it too tight to fit a box end wrench (without grinding thinner) to tighten which was consistent for a factory version with most threads that I read as I was determining the best way to remove with the radiator still installed.

80FB762E-2376-4CB7-A5A5-19239198CB2A.jpeg

The best way I way I found to remove with the radiator installed is to disconnect the top radiator hose on the radiator side and remove all of the fan shroud bolts and push it toward the engine, place a piece of cardboard between the fan and radiator to keep from bending any fins and remove the entire assembly through the gap between the radiator and fan shroud and reverse to install the fan and clutch assembly.

Either way, I hope the new clutch provides a little better cooling!

I know in Arizona the FZJ80 has over heating problems. Believe the color on the OEM units was for temperature the clutch locked up. Temperature it locked up was related to silicone fluid inside which could be changed. While I never got around to doing it I bought Toyota silicone to switch out in my FJ62 fan clutch. Seventeen years ago it was semi retired and moved to a cooler climate. Guessing a search in the 80 series section might bring up more information on the subject.

FWIW: When I replaced the water pump on my '86 2F, I also replace the old OEM fan clutch. From a search on MUD, I purchased and installed a new Aisin FCT-049.

Hi, I’ve removed all our a.c.s from our fj 40s. However they never had a problem with overheating,just a lack of horse power. As long as the entire cooling system was in good shape, no problems running any Toyota or Aisin clutch with 10,000 oil . Running hotter than normal ...adjust valves,stop oil and vacuum leaks,check for improper belt adjustment,smog equipment functioning properly brakes not dragging ,cooling fluid cleaned and flushed regularly,thermostat working correctly. Mike

Thanks, yes it helps and does appear to be the same clutch!

If you have a chance and could snap a picture from directly above the fan shroud that indicates the amount of blade I and out of the shroud?

I am trying to make certain mine has the same/correct amount of space between blade and radiator and there weren’t any other differences inline, spacers, pulley offset Etc.

Thanks, yes it helps and does appear to be the same clutch!

If you have a chance and could snap a picture from directly above the fan shroud that indicates the amount of blade I and out of the shroud?

I am trying to make certain mine has the same/correct amount of space between blade and radiator and there weren’t any other differences inline, spacers, pulley offset Etc.
Will do but it won't be until tomorrow morning

hi everyone,
i have fj40 1983 and there is no fan clutch , and fan direct and so noisy whene i drive my car , so is possible to install a fan clutch to solve this issue, i hope to learn from yours experience.

I am not certain on the vehicles specifically for that area, however the US spec units have a fan clutch. I would think it would be possible to add a fan clutch, however that may require other (water pump, fan blade, radiator etc.) changes. There are others that may be more familiar with the vehicles in your area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom