Difference between Land Cruiser and Sequoia? Really. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are differences with the suspension. The LC has a solid rear axle and the Sequoia has independent suspension. The LC has the KDSS (which I think works very well). There are several testing reviews on the Sequoia showing the back-end tends to move around during cornering and hard braking - it has a lot of body roll (see youtube video below). This past weekend we completed an 1855 mile trip from Denver to MO and back. In my '08 LC, we had no body roll and neither the front or rear tended to move around no matter the driving conditions, especially when driving against the strong Kansas winds.

Last edited:
ONLY TWO things i want from Sequoia:

1. 4wd modes: it has 2wd mode that you can select to save gas...and we can always use that!

2. Apple CarPlay in the 2020 model.

Stick an iPad over your CD slot...
Plug in audio...
Voila!
Better than CarPlay. ;)
2FD4822E-8A23-4CC2-A888-FD8D55643C76.jpeg

Last edited:
ONLY TWO things i want from Sequoia:

1. 4wd modes: it has 2wd mode that you can select to save gas...and we can always use that!

2. Apple CarPlay in the 2020 model.
But the Sequoia is rated the same for gas mileage as the LC so I dont see how could you could save gas? They weigh almost the same.

But the Sequoia is rated the same for gas mileage as the LC so I dont see how could you could save gas? They weigh almost the same.

But, Sequoia is a much bigger mass and has ONLY a 6-speed automatic. We Have 8 speed in the 2016 and up. So, if sequoia has the LC tranny, then it should get better MPG, esp highway.

But, Sequoia is a much bigger mass and has ONLY a 6-speed automatic. We Have 8 speed in the 2016 and up. So, if sequoia has the LC tranny, then it should get better MPG, esp highway.

62CAD793-4D37-4891-8454-043E919C38E8.jpeg
3EE94D63-7D53-456B-8AB7-D4B62FA3980E.jpeg

Did you read my post? Sequoia is much bigger (surface area)...and probably more (or just as bad) drag aerodynamically. Weighs about same as LC. Has less “efficient” transmission gearing (8 vs. 6 speed).

I wasn’t posting it as a rebuttal. ;)
Just made me curious what Toyota was reporting for each... Interesting...because when my LC was stock, I could get 18.5 and even 19mpg highway.

The LC fuel economy rating didn’t change when they came out with the 8-spo transmission. Putting the 8-spd transmission will have minimal impact on fuel economy. 2WD mode will have minimal impact on fuel economy. The huge wind resistance and the rolling resistance of these big tires has a big impact.

Did you read my post? Sequoia is much bigger (surface area)...and probably more (or just as bad) drag aerodynamically. Weighs about same as LC. Has less “efficient” transmission gearing (8 vs. 6 speed).
What matters is the frontal area and the Sequoia’s frontal area isn’t much bigger than the 200. Yes it is bigger, but not much bigger.

But if you really want a Sequoia, go buy one. Just don’t test drive a LC after you buy your Sequoia.

I wasn’t posting it as a rebuttal. ;)
Just made me curious what Toyota was reporting for each... Interesting...because when my LC was stock, I could get 18.5 and even 19mpg highway.

EPA fuel ratings have gotten tougher every year. Not so long ago, maybe 2019, LC was 13/18 (is the case for my LC). The window sticker on Lexus GX 2019 was 15/18. But i could get 20-21 mpg on the highway. Yes, you can beat EPA but for the most part, i have found EPA to be very accurate to average joe driving in an average style.

Last edited:
The LC fuel economy rating didn’t change when they came out with the 8-spo transmission. Putting the 8-spd transmission will have minimal impact on fuel economy. 2WD mode will have minimal impact on fuel economy. The huge wind resistance and the rolling resistance of these big tires has a big impact.

I stand corrected on the LC fuel economy. Toyota states that the 8-speed improves fuel efficiency:

"For 2016, a new 8-speed automatic transmission replaces the 6-speed unit, with the added ratios allowing a wider ratio spread to help enhance acceleration and fuel efficiency. When the going gets rough, the driver can select manual control for more powertrain control. EPA fuel efficiency is 13 mpg in the city, 18 mpg on the highway and 15 combined."

But at least per EPA, there was no change.

BTW, a 2wd Sequoia gets 1 mpg improvement (combined) vs. 4wd model. Now, the 4wd model weights slightly more due to transfer case. And i am not sure how the EPA tests vehicles that can run in 2wd and 4wd...do they just test it in 4wd or do they alternate?

I test drove a Sequoia before buying the LX.

Sequoia's interior was of noticeably lower quality, but it had way, way, more room behind the 2nd row seats.

Where is your data to back these claims?
Toyota's made in japan order parts small batch compared to american auto companies. It's an old where do we store the parts thing. Over decades it worked. If there is a problem with the batch they can quickly modify. If it's completely off there are less parts to replace in general. Example exaggerated. Ford orders 1million control arms for 4 years of production on a F150 in one shot. Toyota orders 250k control arms for LC for 1 year production. If something goes wrong its much easier to correct. You can find most of the info by researching the company. Publicly traded stocks so the basics of financials can be compared.

Three, four or five year old Sequoia’s seem to look dated. Honda Accord the same way.

Cruisers keep the same basic body for the life of the vehicle series. Taco’s, 4Runners and Tundras never seem to look out dated. At least to me.

I test drove a Sequoia before buying the LX.

Sequoia's interior was of noticeably lower quality, but it had way, way, more room behind the 2nd row seats.
That‘s because it is 1) longer and 2) has an IRS as opposed to a solid rear axle. If your main use is shlepping 4 kids around, the Sequoia is likely a better choice. If you want to off-road, the LC is absolutely the better choice.

Toyota's made in japan order parts small batch compared to american auto companies. It's an old where do we store the parts thing. Over decades it worked. If there is a problem with the batch they can quickly modify. If it's completely off there are less parts to replace in general. Example exaggerated. Ford orders 1million control arms for 4 years of production on a F150 in one shot. Toyota orders 250k control arms for LC for 1 year production. If something goes wrong its much easier to correct. You can find most of the info by researching the company. Publicly traded stocks so the basics of financials can be compared.

Yes, I know. I worked for Toyota for many years.

Every manufacturer does lean manufacturing these days. Ford doesn't buy four years of parts and stuff them in a warehouse. They may have a multi-year contract, but the parts manufacturer delivers the parts directly to the assembly line at least once a week if not multiple times per day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom