Difference between Land Cruiser and Sequoia? Really. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Constant lurker and dreamer here. But I’ve always wanted a Land Cruiser (and will have one someday).

I’m drawn to the legendary status of the LC...the “bullet proof” nature of the beast. I envision getting one and driving it until I’m much older and grayer.

I read and enjoy this forum very much. Learned a ton. But one thing I can’t seem to find is actual literature about the build quality and quality control of Land Cruisers.

So that gets me thinking...what REALLY separates the LC from say a Sequoia or 4Runner in terms of build or longevity? What makes the LC so ”indestrucible”? And don’t just tell me “dude, read the forums”. I have. Lots. I get it. We all love the LC.

But is there a real, proven, measured difference in parts, build, longevity that has come from Toyota or any independent study?
thanks all!

4runner and LC made in Japan. They build them to sell all over the world. They use some small batch parts system.
Sequoia are made in the US for US market only using US supplier.

Thanks for the response!

is there any real measurable difference in quality of parts used? Type of labor used to build them?

maybe the 4Runner is on an assembly line and the LC is more hand built?

I don’t know. Just asking.

Japan has limited space and they don't store to many parts. Toyota has some system where they order just enough parts to cover a low certain number of builds. That way if the see a problem with a batch they make a changes.
Unfortunately Japan's work culture is pretty hard on workers. They demand a lot from their workers. That is great for build quality.

Thanks for the response!

is there any real measurable difference in quality of parts used? Type of labor used to build them?

maybe the 4Runner is on an assembly line and the LC is more hand built?

I don’t know. Just asking.

There are many many reasons folks in harsh environments look to the LC where the sequoia never really gets tagged gif that use...but to try and delineate all the differences here would be more than I think is fair to expect. I think a fair summary of the difference is...the LC is built so that harsh use is not too much to ask of it on a regular basis....while the Sequoia is built specifically to cater to the American consumer—which is anything but what would be considered a “harsh use environment.”

It’s not insignificant that the UN, US military, State Department...and those needing armored vehicles order LCs for harsh, extreme environments and heavy security needs.

Nearly everything critical to hard use is over-built underneath the LC by comparison. Crawl under both vehicles at a dealership when you have a chance...and it shows.

Better yet... take a solid mechanic with you and let him crawl under with you. The LC is built the way you’d want them to build it with strength in mind. I’m continually amazed at the way my own truck takes the weight, harsh terrain and beating I give it...and how well the stock components just keep taking it.

Last edited:
Even outside of build quality and physical strength is testing. Toyota will put these through much more rigorous field testing to verify components like wire harnesses and body mounts before they go into production. Even if a sequoia shares some suspension components and an engine, there is a LOT more to fail on a vehicle than those parts.

The high percentage of users here that have 100k+ mile 200s devoid of squeaks and rattles is one indicator of the build quality.

Will many of us use them to the bar they were designed for? Probably not. But we can also repurpose that solid quality into trucks that go 300 or 400k with moderate abuse. That’s my plan anyway.

If you're looking for technical differences here are a few I've heard over the years (bear in mind I have not verified any of these):

Windshield is 2mm thicker than other vehicles in the toyota line
The frame is fully boxed, and double boxed in some sections, rather than C channel
LC's are built for a 25 year service life
The LC's have many more skidplates
The HVAC system has 22 vents

I'm sure there are several things I'm forgetting.

If you're looking for technical differences here are a few I've heard over the years (bear in mind I have not verified any of these):

Windshield is 2mm thicker than other vehicles in the toyota line
The frame is fully boxed, and double boxed in some sections, rather than C channel
LC's are built for a 25 year service life
The LC's have many more skidplates
The HVAC system has 22 vents

I'm sure there are several things I'm forgetting.
Sequioa frame is not boxed? Skid plates can be done aftermarket. 22 HVAC vents....that helps with reliability and strength and longevity?

Where is your data to back these claims?

For the first part this

For the second part my neighbor. Works for Toyota HQ in Michigan. Toyota has a big presence in Michigan because of parts suppliers they share with the big 3

Last edited:
I would look at the subject of reliability and usability in reverse:
We know that Tundra / Sequoia platform shares a lot of components (even if not made or assembled in Japan) with LC / LX platform,
(We happen to own a 2008 Toyota Tundra Limited and a 2011 LX570) and if you look at the reliability of the American made cousins you will hear a lot of good things / classified in the top of their class (My tundra just passed 210k without any issues I would consider major).
Based on this information and looking at vehicles by definition made to a higher standard in a country where pride of the highest craftmanship is legendary you have your answers.
Considering the fact that they (LC's) are used around the world in places not littered by chain of dealership repair / service shops or not even proper roads and are the choice of the most demanding of customers (legal or not... or the ones Toyota brand would like to be advertised with or not) is painting a picture of a very special vehicle that for most that know needs no introduction.
When last year my wife started a new job, one of her Asian friends / co-workers asked her what she drives during winter months here in Chicagoland and she answered, the reaction was:
- Whoa!! you have a built up Land Cruiser??? that is an awesome / dream Truck where I come from !! (Philippines btw)
We are now fortunate enough to own the new to us 200 platform and the job to make it truly "ours" just began...
Oh yes, the original question was is there any literature that points out the differences or better built quality of the LC platform?
Honestly we drove the 1999 for 20 years in the Midwest, the area of salt / rust / snow issues and up until the last day of ownership it was phenomenal with very few issues and mostly due to rust / salt use where we live.
The new owner remains only 20 miles away from us and continues the ownership experience as intended.
The 200 is the evolution of the 100 series and can only be better than what it replaced, also by now the oldest 200 is almost 12 years old and well proven in it's status, so the time in use and mileage as well as very few real issues with our trucks make the point.
Cheers to all the ones that share the joy of owning the best 4x4 on the planet !!

Last edited:
Land Cruisers are built to be used in places with no roads and 2nd tier maintenance. The places it will go in stock configuration other than tires will amaze you and 4 friends. There is a reason why the Land Cruiser has the longest amount time being retained by the 1st owner of all cars sold.

Two things I wish LCs for the US market have:

- diesel engine
- improved corrosion resistance

I would take a manual transmission and a lower trim level. You can want improved corrosion resistance for every car made in your part of the world. Wash underneath with a pressure washer often,.

ONLY TWO things i want from Sequoia:

1. 4wd modes: it has 2wd mode that you can select to save gas...and we can always use that!

2. Apple CarPlay in the 2020 model.

A few years ago, my sons and I visited the Toyota factory in Nagoya, Japan. The assembly line that Toyota used to show the public how the company builds its cars and trucks was the line on which the Land Cruiser and Lexus GS cars were built. The line was pristine, orderly and quiet. It was extremely impressive. I think it is safe to assume that Toyota allows the public to tour that line because it represents the epitome of manufacturing for Toyota.

Two things I wish LCs for the US market have:

- diesel engine
Won't happen. The emissions regulations in the US result in diesel engines being roughly $4k more expensive than a gas engine. For that, you get an engine that requires AdBlue injection and is much more expensive to fix (due to very high pressure fuel injection systems and a very complex exhaust treatment system). And that emissions gear significantly reduces fuel economy in the bargain.

That 4.5l diesel V8 that is sold in Australia that you think you are pining for? You wouldn't like it. It has all of 268 hp. The reason that all the guys in Australia put on big, expensive exhausts and chip their engines is because the engine is gutless from the factory. It does 0-60 in about 10.5 seconds (whereas our gas 5.7 is roughly 6.7 seconds).

If you want more range, buy an LRA auxiliary gas tank. Diesel engines in the US simply aren't worth it. Even many heavy duty pickup fleet buyers are now buying gas engines, rather than diesels.

I hope that the 300 Series Land Cruiser gets significantly better fuel economy than the 200, but I think there are better solutions than an emissions-choked diesel for the US market.

Edited to add: also, in my area, diesel is more expensive than gasoline: $3 for diesel vs $2.60.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom