Diff removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my mate who's going to help me rebuild my diff isn't available for a couple of weeks. i thought to save some time, i should pull the carrier out this week (while i got a chance of working on it) and store it out of the 40 for a couple of weeks till we can rebuild it.

a couple of questions, should i remove it and store it, or add time to the task of rebuilding and setting it up again, how should i store it (to minimise oxidation etc) and do i have to mark anything before removal?

Is it front or rear? If rear, is it from a FF axle assembly or SF? If it's the front, I would say pull it 'cause the front takes some extra time to break down to be able to get the carrier out (really not *that* much work to get to where you can slide the shafts out, but if you've never done it, it could be an hour or so).

If it's the rear, the SF will take like 10-15 minutes to get it out, and the FF will take like 5 minutes to it get out.

Either way, if you pull it out and want to store it, I think the best idea that has surfaced is to partially fill up a ~5 gallon bucket (hopefully you've got something near that in Litres :D ) with used motor oil or diff oil or and plop the diff down in. Throw the lid on to protect it from gettin' other crap in there (and in case you knock it over :p ).

-Ferg-

thanks, it's FF rear, but i'm bored, and i figured if i pull it now i can make sure it does need new bearings.

also will a bearing set for the diff come with the crush sleave? and will i need a new gasket to re seal the diff once it's done, should i do the pinion seal as well? just making a parts list

how much more work would it take to re do the oil seals in the axles while i'm in there?

will it take much more work to regrease the wheel bearings while i've got the FF axles out?

I'd pull it sooner, the diff cover was really stuck when I did mine. Is your mate experienced in rebuilding diffs? Apparently they are not easy to do and require some special tools. I bought a used front diff (low miles) for less than a rebuild of my existing one would have been in parts alone!

yeah, he was a diesel mechanic, and has done the front and rear in his 75, and the rear in his old man's 40. so there's nothing i gotta mark before pulling to get it back together inline

"should i do the pinion seal as well?" Yup.

"how much more work would it take to re do the oil seals in the axles while i'm in there?" Pop the old ones out with a pry bar or screwdriver, tap the new ones in with a block of wood and a hammer. Easy.

"will it take much more work to regrease the wheel bearings while i've got the FF axles out?" Don't the bearings get their lubrication from the gear oil in the diff??

"will it take much more work to regrease the wheel bearings while i've got the FF axles out?" Don't the bearings get their lubrication from the gear oil in the diff??

i have no idea, i guessed (probably incorrecly) that they needed greasing like front wheel bearings do, so anyone who wants to tell me different, go ahead :)

Sorry for the confusion bad. I wasn't thinking. Here's the dope.

Semi-floating rear axles are supported by one wheel bearing and get their lubrication from the gear oil in the differential. The seal and bearing are pressed onto the axle shaft and the whole assembly is inserted into the housing and held in place with clips at the splined end of the axle shaft.

Full-floating axles have a hub that is separate from the gear oil. They are supported by both an inner and an outer bearing and get their lubrication from grease. The seal and bearings are held in the hub (just like your front wheel bearings). The axle has a flange on the outboard end that bolts to the hub to hold it in. (No clips inside the diff.)

Both setups have seals that are simple to replace.

Full-floaters are usually used in heavier duty applications. I think semi-floating is stock on FJ40s, but don't quote me. You can tell at a glance but of course I can't remember what's on mine. Old age kicking in. ;)

mine is a FF axle, australian cruisers mostly come with FF axles, rare to see a SF axle down under

So THAT'S what FF and SF stand for! :slap:

Funny how I could get through a major science degree and not know how to add 2 + 2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom