Diff Lock Indicator flashing when truck started and while driving (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would ask if they are going to use the 75 w toyota transfer case oil. The part number is 08885-81080 .

there are four lexus dealerships and none of them use it. I called a couple of Toyota Dealerships and they didn't use it either. All of them used a 75-90 differential fluid.
same oil for the differentials?

same oil for the differentials?
Officially...

Diffs are 75W-85. Many folks run 75W-90 as it’s easier to come by. Similar stuff, slightly heavier duty

Transfer case is 75W LF. It’s a 75W oil but with a “low friction” modifier to improve mileage.

Having the good ole issue that many have dealt with happen past couple days. All winter and fall no issues, however Saturday and then again yesterday had the issue with CDL flashing when turning the truck on.

Background story..

When I purchased the car I tried playing with 4lo and all and dash lit up like it was xmas. This was back in Oct '18. Took the 200 to a Toyota dealer and had them try and see what was wrong, everything worked fine for them and showed me everything worked; 4lo and CDL would engage. Early '19 I got around to having all fluids baselined. Dealer said the recommended oil was 75-90 for the t-case and they had BG fluids so I told them to go ahead (used AMSOIL for the rest).

Since then I have had issues engaging CDL. There were a couple times I wanted to engage it to actually help on the trails, other was because I just wanted to exercise while on a trail and remember it not engaging. Since then I haven't tried engaging it, just relied on left foot braking or crawl if I really needed to.

Would it be worth trying the 75w to see if that really is the issue even though 75w was meant for '10+ ?

I have not had an issue with the warm weather. The light flashed a coupe of times in March but turned off after a short drive and starting the truck again.

Just a follow up question regarding this, as we are contemplating purchasing a newer 200 series: Are vehicles 2017 and newer still having this issue? I know that on my 2010, it happened a lot and was a frustration.
Thanks.

Having the good ole issue that many have dealt with happen past couple days. All winter and fall no issues, however Saturday and then again yesterday had the issue with CDL flashing when turning the truck on.

Background story..

When I purchased the car I tried playing with 4lo and all and dash lit up like it was xmas. This was back in Oct '18. Took the 200 to a Toyota dealer and had them try and see what was wrong, everything worked fine for them and showed me everything worked; 4lo and CDL would engage. Early '19 I got around to having all fluids baselined. Dealer said the recommended oil was 75-90 for the t-case and they had BG fluids so I told them to go ahead (used AMSOIL for the rest).

Since then I have had issues engaging CDL. There were a couple times I wanted to engage it to actually help on the trails, other was because I just wanted to exercise while on a trail and remember it not engaging. Since then I haven't tried engaging it, just relied on left foot braking or crawl if I really needed to.

Would it be worth trying the 75w to see if that really is the issue even though 75w was meant for '10+ ?
I'd warm up the truck, then engage 4Lo and the CDL, drive a bit, disengage. Repeat a few times over several weeks. Then go change the fluid again after a few thousand miles. Why?
  • I bought my 2013 with 49k miles. I doubt the PO ever engaged the CDL or 4Lo. They probably never changed the TC oil either given it was a lease so I assume it was original 75W LF.
  • I got the flashing CDL for the first time around maybe 55k on cold start (wasn't trying to engage it, I just got 3 cherries in the slot machine I suppose).
  • Fluid flush with 75W-90 Amsoil at 60k.
    • Issue happened a few more times between 60k and 90k... typically when the weather would get down in the 40s or less (but not every time). Each time if the truck warmed up for 5-10 minutes I could shut it off and then when I would restart the light wouldn't flash anymore. Most times it would happen on a cold morning at startup for no reason. If I hadn't used the CDL in a while it might also flash when I tried to use it. After it cleared though it'd work for weeks without issue.
  • At 90k I did another fluid swap to 75W Ravenol. CDL was fine all winter. No flashing, if I went a few months and then locked it on cold start it worked fine.
I'm at almost 102k now still w/o issue for the last ~12k miles. Very anecdotal... could be the 75W fluid is better than 75W-90, could be a second flush got some crap loose, could be I've just been lucky all winter and tomorrow the CDL starts flashing again.

Thanks everyone for all this valuable discussion. Typical story here I guess: I just bought a 2015 LX570 with 71k miles, and never saw this issue. Just took it to Lexus (at just over 71k miles) and did a flush of the transfer case and front and rear diff fluids (and replaced radiator and other stuff as well, as a preventative maintenance).

I didn't see the center diff light at all since then- until this afternoon, probably 30 miles after getting it out of the Lexus dealer.

The center diff light was blinking, I noticed it immediately. I carefully tried to turn the wheel a bit and it was obvious that it was not locked. It would not go into 4-Low and it would not do anything if I pressed the center diff lock button. I turned the car off and back on 2-3 times and it was still there. I let it sit on for a few minutes, then left it off for a minute or so, and then turned it on - and the light was off, and it would shift into 4-Low.

I've never used the center diff lock or 4-low before, and I am pretty sure the previous owner never used it a single time. I will go exercise it a bit now and document with video if the issue recurs.

So, I guess I'm just adding myself to the party.

Thanks everyone for all this valuable discussion. Typical story here I guess: I just bought a 2015 LX570 with 71k miles, and never saw this issue. Just took it to Lexus (at just over 71k miles) and did a flush of the transfer case and front and rear diff fluids (and replaced radiator and other stuff as well, as a preventative maintenance).

I didn't see the center diff light at all since then- until this afternoon, probably 30 miles after getting it out of the Lexus dealer.

The center diff light was blinking, I noticed it immediately. I carefully tried to turn the wheel a bit and it was obvious that it was not locked. It would not go into 4-Low and it would not do anything if I pressed the center diff lock button. I turned the car off and back on 2-3 times and it was still there. I let it sit on for a few minutes, then left it off for a minute or so, and then turned it on - and the light was off, and it would shift into 4-Low.

I've never used the center diff lock or 4-low before, and I am pretty sure the previous owner never used it a single time. I will go exercise it a bit now and document with video if the issue recurs.

So, I guess I'm just adding myself to the party.

Update: I'll make this short:

* bought 2015 with 70k miles, no CDL light on that I ever saw
* took into service at lexus dealer, got all diff and transfer case fluids flushed (and more)
* Maybe 30 miles after that, CDL light flashed when starting lexus. eventually went off after multiple restarts
* Later that day (just now) - I took the LX570 out to a gravel lot, and exercised the CDL. It took a long time (5 minutes?) to get it to finally engage - but once it did, it engaged faster on subsequent activations and de-activations. seems to be pretty quick now.

Question: for the 200 series, at this point, the CDL normally engages within a few seconds, sometimes longer, sometimes as much as 30 seconds or so. Similar for disengagement. And it normally doesn't make much sound but sometimes it thunks/clunks pretty heavily when turning the center diff lock on or off. My experience in Tacomas and 80 series is that this is pretty normal - is that what people experience on the 200 series in general? It doesn't always engage right away, and it clunks sometimes?

Update: I'll make this short:

* bought 2015 with 70k miles, no CDL light on that I ever saw
* took into service at lexus dealer, got all diff and transfer case fluids flushed (and more)
* Maybe 30 miles after that, CDL light flashed when starting lexus. eventually went off after multiple restarts
* Later that day (just now) - I took the LX570 out to a gravel lot, and exercised the CDL. It took a long time (5 minutes?) to get it to finally engage - but once it did, it engaged faster on subsequent activations and de-activations. seems to be pretty quick now.

Question: for the 200 series, at this point, the CDL normally engages within a few seconds, sometimes longer, sometimes as much as 30 seconds or so. Similar for disengagement. And it normally doesn't make much sound but sometimes it thunks/clunks pretty heavily when turning the center diff lock on or off. My experience in Tacomas and 80 series is that this is pretty normal - is that what people experience on the 200 series in general? It doesn't always engage right away, and it clunks sometimes?
I find if I'm driving straight the CDL normally engages after a few feet, though I've had it go longer. It might not engage if you're sitting still if the mechanism isn't aligned, so time is irrelevant there but distance and whether you are driving straight or slightly left/right matters there.

My CDL does not clunk. It's very smooth, I can only tell it engaged because I hear the solenoid click. The 4Lo engagement/disengagement can clunk as the actuator is moving between different size gears, especially if it's bound up from hard pavement or another grippy surface (like rocks).

I find if I'm driving straight the CDL normally engages after a few feet, though I've had it go longer. It might not engage if you're sitting still if the mechanism isn't aligned, so time is irrelevant there but distance and whether you are driving straight or slightly left/right matters there.

My CDL does not clunk. It's very smooth, I can only tell it engaged because I hear the solenoid click. The 4Lo engagement/disengagement can clunk as the actuator is moving between different size gears, especially if it's bound up from hard pavement or another grippy surface (like rocks).
That is interesting thanks. I can hear the solenoid and sometimes that’s about all I hear, with a possible lightly perceptible “thunk” when it engages.. maybe a few times (like 2-3 times) out of 20 or so in this gravel parking lot, I heard more of a loud thunk.. I’ll go back to the parking lot today. 4-Low I actually engaged only a few times but it was quiet, I could hear it, but ”barely”.

So I had this issue on the 2015 few times in the past on cold mornings. Very rare, though.

Recently been having it frequently, like every day and it's not even that cold. Takes few miles of driving to warm up, then shut off, start again and it goes away.

I have fairly fresh Toyota 75W fluid in the transfer case that I put ~1y/10k miles ago.

So I had this issue on the 2015 few times in the past on cold mornings. Very rare, though.

Recently been having it frequently, like every day and it's not even that cold. Takes few miles of driving to warm up, then shut off, start again and it goes away.

I have fairly fresh Toyota 75W fluid in the transfer case that I put ~1y/10k miles ago.
@TeCKis300 did a thread on this, but in his opinion this is an issue with contacts on the actuator motor and fluid changes won't matter because the motor is external to the lubricated gearbox

I think you’re correct I think the key to this using the recommended Toyota Lexus fluid 70 W LF fluid sold at the Lexus or Toyota dealer. My observations are the Toyota and Lexus dealers just use the same fluid 75W whatever in the front and rear differential and transfer case when you have the fluid change they are the ones putting in the wrong fluid which is crazy

@TeCKis300 did a thread on this, but in his opinion this is an issue with contacts on the actuator motor and fluid changes won't matter because the motor is external to the lubricated gearbox

Thanks. Given @PhysicsHammer symptoms, I'd probably say it's a combination of the heavy duty hardware forks needing exercise long with the microelectronics. The electronic switches in particular are mechanical too and subject to binding and temperature, along with corrosion. Regular use should help both parts of the system.

I haven't had any issues since that first time - although I haven't exercised it the past few weeks either. I guess I will just change the fluid in another 5k or 10k miles and be extremely specific about what fluid viscosity to use next time.

Great thread, our LX570 has had the intermittent CDL light, will start with cycling the switch and forward and reversing and the progress to thw factory reccomended fluid, Toyota part number 08885-81080 and let you know what I find… have not tried to put it in 4LO, will tinker with it a bit and see what happens…
Thanks

Here's a new one... Running some errands, vehicle up to temp. Been a few months since switching into low range. Switched immediately, drive a few blocks, stop, lock the transfer case, drive a few blocks straight, completely forgetting potential CDL issues, now the truck is stuck in low range, and center diff lock light is just flashing. I can tell the the center diff lock is not engaged, but just flashes. Turn the truck on and off numerous times. Nothing, currently up on ramps with a fan blowing under transfer case. It is a glorious 60 degree day here, humidity level is kind of high, overcast. Louise is used to her climate controlled garage, doesn't get a whole lot of miles put on, not my daily driver. 2008 LX570, Currently at 96k miles, all services are current. Figured at this point, a battery disconnect for a bit is worth a shot. 🤷

Last edited:
[

Flashing Center Diff Lock indication
Multi-display did NOT indicate VSC Off, like it would normally.
Warning light (triangle) did not light, like normal.
Center Diff push button would not do anything. (I pushed it several times to see if the flashing would stop).
The vehicle would not shift into 4Lo, since I tried to see if it would engage or not. Definitely NOT.

Thanks guys,
Jonathan

HI Jonathan

I found this forum whilst searching for the exact same problem i have on a LC Series 200 VX i recently purchased second hand - 100 000km.
Dealers recon they need to replace the actuator - cost about R16 000.
Did you manage to sort out your flashing light?
If so, what was the cause?

I addition, to your problem above, my cruise control is also not working whilst the center diff light is flashing. Did you notice the same?

I am now starting with the same process you did with the dealers.

Regards

Josias
[/QUOTE]

Had the same issue this week. I was on my way home to Utah and in the middle of nowhere Colorado when I noticed the cruise wouldn't work and, for the second time, the diff light was on. It was a cold morning in the low 40s after being in hot weather and I noticed the same temp difference the first time it happened.

HI Jonathan

I found this forum whilst searching for the exact same problem i have on a LC Series 200 VX i recently purchased second hand - 100 000km.
Dealers recon they need to replace the actuator - cost about R16 000.
Did you manage to sort out your flashing light?
If so, what was the cause?

I addition, to your problem above, my cruise control is also not working whilst the center diff light is flashing. Did you notice the same?

I am now starting with the same process you did with the dealers.

Regards

Josias

I would start here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom