Diff Gears For V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey , recently finished putting a 5.0 l injected 8 into my 60 series , the oly problem is on road it revvs way the hard for highway cruising , i have upgraded to a set of 33's and im wondering if any one could suggest a better ratio for the diff's as i need to replace the rear anyway , im not worried at low range as i can get a set of rockcrawler gears for the trenny case to counteract that , any way any idea would be appreciated greatly.

[quote author=Ralphy link=board=12;threadid=9651;start=msg84748#msg84748 date=1073302058]
Hey , recently finished putting a 5.0 l injected 8 into my 60 series , the oly problem is on road it revvs way the hard for highway cruising , i have upgraded to a set of 33's and im wondering if any one could suggest a better ratio for the diff's as i need to replace the rear anyway , im not worried at low range as i can get a set of rockcrawler gears for the trenny case to counteract that , any way any idea would be appreciated greatly.
[/quote]

Mmmmm your stock 3.70 are as "high" as you can get as far as i know .... did some one change it out to 4.10 maybe I can't see 3.70 being to high with 33 on the street ??? SOA and 35 is all you could do other that maybe h55 trans good luck

what are your highway revs at?

Check the Cruiser Outfitters thread in the vendor corner, I know he's got gearsets at good prices. IIRC, the 60-series is already the 3.70 tho, my suggestion is bigger tires <wink>

engine revs should be identical to what they would be if you still had the inline 6 installed...and the V8 should be able to handle higher rpms without a problem too.

The gregorys manual reccons the 60 series wagon is 4.11 diff gears , and from our revvs v's speed im sure it's 4.11's. so i think i might look for a set of 3.70 gears and see how that goes

Before you spend any monies on gear sets, I would verify exactly what you have in axles. This can be done by removing the rear diff cover, and looking for the tooth count that is engraved on the heel of the ring gear, or count the teeth, and do the math. It would be foolish to assume a ratio, and then spend money on something you already have...

Good luck!

-Steve

Ditto on pulling the diff cover and checking...

Got plenty of new/used 3.70 gear sets... :D

before doing any of that, I would check to make sure your tachometer is set for a v8 now, instead of a 6. there will be a switch inside or in the back to select 4, 6 or 8 cylinders. just a small suggestion, but that will throw your indicated rpm's way out of wack.
andrew

Yea have allready done all that , im looking currently for a wrecked diesel to pinch the diff's out of , weve checked and mine are 4.11's , but still unsure as im thinking of going air lockers , Either way as long as i can drop the ratio a little i willl be happy , i was even toying to see if i could get high range gearing altered but hey il work on that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom