Diff advice if you don’t mind (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, new to the forum. I recently got a 93 FZJ. I’ve had several first gen 4Runners, but this is my first land cruiser. Anyway, the 80 I bought has some major issues, but is solid overall. I have started stacking up parts for a overhaul on the truck that I’m starting on soon. I have nitro 4.88s with install kits, arb rear locker, all new bearings and seals for both axles, and a knuckle rebuild kit.
My main question is if it is worth doing solid pinion spacers, or stick with the crush sleeves? Also should I go ahead and replace the birfields while I’m in this deep? Btw the truck has 220,000 miles.

You’ve opened up a can of worms with crush sleeve questions. I did a gear install on mine and did what oem did and people have 1/2 million miles on... crush. Most issues are related to poor gear installs and people blame crush... it’s stupid. The nut and pinion shaft set the distance that the bearing sit into the cup or race. If the cup is not seated either type will have issues. If the gear install is crap both will have issues. High end race application uses solid so they can do quick seal and bearing replacements and torque to a value without measuring preload and taking extra time when it counts. They spend extra time making solid spacers, Up front to save time later. That’s the only benefit in my book and don’t think the average cruiser fits that need. Up to you.

Birf question- I’m at 258k original but have needed to replace 150k units if they haven’t been run dry they will last a long time probably need to pull them and look, reverse sides, clean a grease and run them. If they’re not dry your probably good. Mine where making noise at 225k. It still some grease Showing wear but switched them and have no issues and noise with over over 30k additional miles with tons of Cummins torque and Lots of wheeling so I’m due for another rebuild so I’ll clean and check condition

Gotcha I’ll have a look at the birfields before I run out and order a set. Makes sense about the spacers. The only reason I was considering it is bc on this truck the main reason for the overhaul is there is lots of slop in the front pinion, bearings are definitely out. Can shake the front drive shaft and see and feel the slop, I thought the crush sleeve might be a failure point after so many miles. But I suppose it went 220,000 so that’s not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom