Diesel Tundra in the U.S (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyota Tundra Diesel CONFIRMED

* Posted by admin on January 14th, 2008 filed in Diesel Tundra, Tundra News

Boy, do we like it when we’re right…here’s the Reuter’s press release trimmed-down to the important facts:

Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe said on Sunday the Japanese automaker will launch a diesel-powered Tundra pickup truck and Sequoia SUV in the United States…Toyota has repeatedly hesitated to committing a diesel vehicle for the U.S. market…especially for use in larger vehicles.

“I am happy to confirm that a new clean-diesel V8 engine will be offered in both the Tundra and the Sequoia in the near future,” Watanabe told a news conference at the North American International Auto Show.

The “near future” is likely to be next year…we think the Diesel Tundra will debut in late 2009 as a 2010 model. Toyota usually doesn’t disclose information like this unless they’re more than halfway to production. Most industry experts agree that 3 years are needed to develop and produce a new power train, so we’re reasonably sure the 2010 model will have a diesel. That will coincide with an F150 diesel launch scheduled for the same year.

So the race is one to predict the new Tundra diesel’s displacement, horsepower, and torque…anyone want to guess?

I hope this happens. Having the option of a diesel Sequoia sure is interesting.

From the "trimmed down" statement it doesn't sound like Toyota's going after the 3/4T & 1T market yet. Ford's F150 diesel is, last time I checked, going to be a V6 model currently beng used in cab-over delivery type trucks. I guess we'll wait and see......

I read somewhere that the new Tundra diesel will be made in house by Toyota and displace arout 4.5 litres. I don't think it will be designed to compete in the 1 ton market but as an alternative to the gas option. It will definitely not be the 8.0 liter CAT diesel in the Dually Tundra Concept at the Auto show. The engine is way too expensive.

I'd go with the motor they are developing with Isuzu. It would be marketing genius to call it a Hino whatever they use. Everybody likes to be able to spout off a name that they really don't know a lot about, but has a reputation in the heavy truck market.

See International, Cummins and Navastar motors and Allison transmissions. Doesn't matter that the engine has little to do with the big truck version.

They don't want to call it an Isuzu. Too much association with Rodeos and TopKicks.

ok I will make a guess
:D
4.473 litre intercooled turbo diesel, inline 6
approx 255 - 280 hp range.

Now that I would like a lot... and I suppose they will only sell them in the US and not Canada... guess that will make up for us getting the 3B's for a few years..not!!

Last edited:
I'd go with the motor they are developing with Isuzu.

Isuzu makes the Duramax Diesel in the Chevy Trucks. They have proven to be very versatile and reliable.

ok I will make a guess

Now that I would like a lot... and I suppose they will only sell them in the US and not Canada... guess that will make up for us getting the 3B's for a few years..not!!

I hope you are right. One of our companys work trucks is a Hino with an in-line turbo diesel mated to a 6speed Allison transmission. It has been a real work horse for us. I might be open to a diesel Sequoia to replace my 4Runner.

ok I will make a guess

Nope, the president of Toyota said it will be a V8. It won't be a 3/4 Ton, just a fuel economical engine option for the 1/2 Ton.

I'm curious as to what the MPG figures will be for this V8 diesel.

If it is the 4.5l V8 diesel from the Oz LC, I looked it up, and it got almost exactly 50% better fuel economy than the 4.7l petrol LC, based on their government tests. So, extrapolating that to the US 4.7l Tundra, I think a diesel would be getting about 23-24mpg for a 4wd Tundra.

It will definitely not be the 8.0 liter CAT diesel in the Dually Tundra Concept at the Auto show. The engine is way too expensive.

Last time I checked the J08 was still a Hino engine, note the red badge on the valve cover:
toyotatundradieselduallyprojecttruck.toyotaduallyeng500.img.jpg

I REALLY would like to see a future 4Runner with a diesel option. Mileage would be better and it's size
better suits my needs. The fact that Toyota will be offering a diesel in America gives me some hope...

The current gen Tundra is already rated at about the same capacity as 3/4 (light duty 3/4) domestic trucks from a few years ago. A diesel should be right at home in the Tundra.

What engine would probably go in it? What is the D4D? It is all very cool and encouraging.

D4D is the common rail diesel system applied to Toyota diesels at the moment. There is the 4 cyl 1KD FTV and the 1VD FTV V8 (shown below on a sticker the V8 gets)
I suspect there maybe some smaller 4 cyl versions fitted to small cars sold in Europe also
saturday night fever 017 (Small).jpg

well I happened to be looking around at the local Toyota dealership today, a salesman tells me they will be coming out with a 7 litre twin turbo diesel :D for the Tundras. 3/4 ton and 1 ton as well it sounds like, mentioned a dually as well.
This sort of makes sense if they want to compete with the domestics they may as well put in a brute of an engine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom