Diesel Tundra in the U.S (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That would have been my guess; since they are pumped about competing with the big three with the new 5.7L gasser, I just assumed that the only Tundra Diesel offering would be some huge V8 Turbo-Diesel that the Urban Cowboys can drive around in, laying rubber at stop lights next to Fords/Chevy's/Dodges. I would love to see an inline 6 Turbo diesel in the Tundra, and especially a 3.0L 4 cyl Turbo-Diesel in Tacos and 4runners (ala Hilux and Surf). Im still trying to figure out how to smuggle in a Hilux DC Diesel like I saw in Belize and Guatamala.

Now your talkin with that 3.0L 4cyl Turbo Diesel in a 4Runner. G-damnit N.A. Toyota, wake up and offer it to U.S. !!

I hope Toyota release a turbodiesel soon. I need a tow rig with Toyota reliability.

My 2002 Hilux 4 door, 3 litre EFI Diesel averaged 24 city and 29 miles per US gallon on the freeway, but it would be better in the US- as the roads here are not nearly as good.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a diesel in the US- Toyota sells all the petrol ones thay can build, and there is more profit in them. Build/design costs would be negligible, because they already have them. The D4D in the new Hilux is a 4 cyl, 3 litre turbo intercooler that pulls like Kenworth and is rated at 9L/100kms in the 2WD.

Don't forget that Toyota brought diesels to the US in the early-mid 80's, and some of them sat on the lot for so long that they had to be sold as used vehicles. Granted, the times have changed, but the Japs have long memories, and are very traditional... they still whale because they did it 100 years ago.

Aside from that, Australia has a wait list for the D4D Hilux right now, because they cannot produce enough engines to fill global demand.

Cheers,

Josh

Diesel: I hope

V8 Diesel: I could do without.....about 4 pistons I could do without.

Jeez, I must be going mad to want a motor more for its mileage and dependability, over the "seat of the pants", and whining about its output.

I wish I knew what factors the manufactures use to determine whats sold here. I'm sorry, but this big limbering giant of a NON economical Diesel, well, I just dont think it will last long. I hope I'm wrong but if its one thing America doesn't do, its an about face.

This is the truck all of you think you want?...its a full size? Might as well get a Tun:barf: dra

YouTube - TOMUCH Hilux..not making it look easy :confused:

HiFatContent, but a Hilux? Give me the 30mpg Crew on the 1st page, :frown:

Last edited:
G'day Happy Trails,

Yes, the Aussie market does get some cool trucks, no doubt about that. Unfortunately, the taxes in this Big Brother country are so bloody high that it is hard to enjoy them. My registration (just rego, mind you, nothing more) is nearly $900 per year, and diesel is nearly $7 per US Gallon. Add to that the speed cameras EVERYWHERE, the assinine laws (such as: it is illegal to drive with your elbow out the window, or to ride a bicycle without a helmet), and the fact that the coppers here have nearely unlimited power (Bill Of Rights? Nope, we don't have one of those) and love nothing more than to write up a nice ticket, and I will tell you that I can't wait to get back to the US one day- even if it means driving a petrol pig of a Cruiser:)

Cheers,

Josh

Here you go guys, just snapped these photos of a new Tundra dually on a trailer, it had to be a diesel because the exhaust was at least 4 inches. Oh the pics are from my phone so take it easy.

:cheers:
IMAGE_128.jpg
IMAGE_131.jpg

Last edited:
Check out these videos. Great stuff! They truely are great trucks!:D
YouTube - Top Gear: Killing a Toyota Part 1

YouTube - Top Gear: Killing a Toyota Part 2 (a)

06-66-6f_toyota_hilux_4x4.jpg

We can import these but they are short on options, rather small but you could drive them forever darn near.
A friend in Khazakstan that used to work for BJ Services out of Houston said they had these over there, stripped down basic trucks, change the oil and filters and just keep filling up the diesel.. several 100,000's of miles on them.

Sweet...the "indestructible Hilux" is back...:rolleyes:

I hope that HD Tundra comes into fruition.

06-66-6f_toyota_hilux_4x4.jpg

We can import these but they are short on options, rather small but you could drive them forever darn near.
A friend in Khazakstan that used to work for BJ Services out of Houston said they had these over there, stripped down basic trucks, change the oil and filters and just keep filling up the diesel.. several 100,000's of miles on them.

That thing would be perfect for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom