Diesel in an FJ Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But thats just my 2 cents.

holy_necroposting_batman.jpg

Toyota and diesel...hehehe.....almost the entire world outside the USA gets diesels as standard equipment....yes, they have the experience - see the Diesel section here and read for hours on the 1HDT, 3B, and the dozens of other presently available variants.

weight: minor difference...today's modern diesel engines are dimsionally similar to the gassers they replace, with improved mileage and torque characteristics.

I'll wager Toyota comes out with a diesel in about 2009 or 2010 for the FJC....fuel prices need to jump a little more to make it viable, the US consumer is to addicted to their right foot when driving.
Hey Woody, What do you know about the rumor that Toyota has killed the FJ Cruiser?

Thanks,

Woodeye/Cryoboss:confused:

Toyota will not be producing another Fj. They will continue to make the current Fj for about 2-4 more years and then it will go away.

A sad day indeed.

This is from one of the Auto-Industry shows on the local radio.

v/r,

bill

Dead dead dead. Industry insiders have confirmed. Also, relating to this post and the Toyota-Diesel-US Market debate, the Tundra Diesel concept has also been killed.

The motor industry is dead like our economy. It's not a time we should be worrying about what we're driving but how to keep it running until this whole thing blows over without it being illegal. We're going to be seeing less and less cars bought new or used and more parts and services being offered now.

The diesel version is a serious wet dream that will not be realized. When the FJC gets killed off in 09' it'll put a serious crimp on the after market for these things. Eventually though I'm sure somebody will stuff a D4D in the engine bay. I can wait until then.

Hi there Toyota Corporate, I'm very interested in your 2012 FJ Cruiser. The problem I'm having is the bad gas mileage, your FJ current design gets. 16 Town/20 HWY that SUCKS!

First, as your aware gas prices are climbing ($4.00+) and will probably will keep going up. I have done some research and found that Toyota makes a really efficient clean burning diesel engine for Thailand and Europe. The reference for that engine is a D4-D, 1KD-FTV, it is a 3.0 (Turbo Charged 2982 cc) offered in the new 60 year anniversary model 2011 Land Cruiser, only being marketed in Europe. The performance specs you can look up but I think they came out with the original engine in 2006 but it has been updated this year (2011). The point being, that with very little effort Toyota could produce a 2012 or 2013 vastly improved Diesel FJ that could run in the 25 city/35 Hwy MPG range and offer an improved torque range, over the current version, to the outdoors enthusiasts with realistic and substantial every day fuel savings. I think the latest version of the D4D Diesel motor meets the Euro 5 emission standards and produces 190 HP with 420 Nm Torque. The new particulate filter system (updated 2011 version) works wonderfully on the 2011 Toyota Land Cruiser. If you wanted to bump-up performance you could easily do it by adding a 3" exhaust system to the D4-D Diesel and t-week your chip controlled fuel/air chip settings. This would work so wonderfully for a New 2012 Diesel FJ and improve the FJ's performance and popularity over night. If your still uncertain, you could offer it as a special order and see what the demand is. My thoughts are that the American and Australian markets would suck them up like a hoover vacuum. Toyota couldn't keep up with the demand in either market.

Second, issue is the transmission/transfer case set-up. The FJ 6MT transmission is desirable due to the full time or All Wheel Drive (AWD) feature. Why can't Toyota offer the Auto Transmission folks a AWD with 3 gear ranges? If it had a standard high range (H), a low range (L) and a extra-low (LL) range setting, it would be so excellent! This would be a major selling point. Seems Toyota did offer an automatic AWD with a high and low range in the new 2011 Toyota Land Cruiser. Also the Toyota Highlander comes in AWD. Seems in the off road environment moving through bad terra-forma, crawling over rocks, or any 4 wheeling situation would be vastly improved if the AWD system had 3 ranges to work with. AWD Diesel FJ would be way more popular than a standard 4 wheel drive model, the not getting stuck because the 4 wheel drive (2 drive tires) can't get traction, would be a wonderful advantage. Good mileage and in unstoppable AWD in 3 gear ranges. WOW! That would be a mega selling point don't you think? I sure think so. AWD in an automatic transmission FJ Diesel that gets 25/35MPG would make me go buy one today.

Third, I think changing the tires and wheels would help with the ground clearance problem. Also lifting the body such that the front (3 inches) and rear (2 inches) so the vehicle is level, would be good. It would give better overall handling and a better appearance. The setup I would pick is the 18 inch Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Special Edition BLACK KMC XD Series ROCKSTAR Rims, and the BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM 2 tires size 37X12.50R18( 939x317, 37.0x12.5 ) 123Q.

Fourth, is the driver and passenger front seats. They aren't very comfortable. Can you provide an improved adjustable seat? (Look at the 2011 VW TDI Jetta for ideas (if necessary), they did a good job and have a interesting height adjustment system.) Especially for the lumbar support, and having a height adjustment would be excellent. Or at least incorporating a seat that gives better protection to the driver on ruff roads. I'm 6'-4" and I have long legs, so I find the seats in the FJ's to be a disappointment and extremely uncomfortable. Just some minor changes would improve it so much!

Fifth, could you suggest bringing the New 2012 /2013 Diesel FJ's out in the Bright Red color or Bright Emerald Green. The Voodoo Blue was very nice, eye catching. Keeping the Voodoo Blue available as a color choice on future FJ's would be wonderful too. The Brick Red color sucks! The orange cone yellow sucked. Army Green was fair. Bright Yellow was good. The Carvery Blue was fair. Overall dull, drably colors on vehicles that cost 25-30K won't be very popular. Step up the game a little, you think? I think so. The Voodoo Blue ones always catch my eye and primarily drew my interest to the FJ design.

If Toyota wanted to improve the size of the SUV market they have here in the USA, just these few changes would do that. If you could make your product cost less than your competitors, while still offering more standardized features, like these noted above, that would also create momentum in the market in your favor. Why can't Toyota be the first to do the USA a solid, and provide a 2012/2013 Diesel FJ that gets 25 city/35 HWY MPG for the outdoors man. Offering a Diesel FJ for the same price as the Gas Motor FJ, would also be very cool. Also the Cold Weather Plugin for the Oil Pan/Water Heater and Tow Package with the Square Hitch having both a circle plug (Electric Brake with a brake controller system integrated into the FJ Dash) and the Std Square Plug should both be on the vehicle and be included as standard equipment. Outdoor folks tow boats, snow machines, campers, trailers and other items. If Ford can do it on their F150 4X4's I know Toyota can do it too.

^^^haha, 2012/2013 what are you talking about? The FJ Creuiser is going to be discontinued in 2009, didn't you read the previous posts?

Hiya sasalaska7
your famous D4-D is one of the reasons why I bought an FJ Cruiser :D with his petrol burner.

Have a look at European Toyota Sites and you will know that about 50% of the owners of an KDJ120 have a broken motor when they reach the 50.000 miles limit. Even those with an upgrade 2 step on the injectors have problems.
It's not only a Toyota problem but a common rail problem. Other diesels have similar problems - a small motor with the force and the horsepowers of a much bigger motor. Also the emissions standard Euro 4, 5 or soon 6, do help killing the new diesel generations.

Now they hope that the upgrage step on the new KDJ150 with 193 will have less problems.
I loved my old HDJ 80 and he did never make me such problems as the owners of a new diesel have.
The new common rail diesel motors do not have the quality of the HDJ.

^^^haha, 2012/2013 what are you talking about? The FJ Creuiser is going to be discontinued in 2009, didn't you read the previous posts?

Maybe not........

2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Sorry to dig up an old post, and going back to the original question of a diesel in the FJ Cruiser.............

Doesn't the genesis of this frame go something like FJC from 120/Prado from 3rd (4th?) Gen Hilux/Surf/4Runner???

In Europe the 1KZ was in the Surf and the newer D4D in the 120 series. So we have lots of diesels to transplant over here, but alas the FJC is like rocking horse poo.

I think the torque of the 3 litre KZ (intercooled) is about the same as the 4 litre gasser in the FJC.

Now as for the pros or cons of these engines? Over to you.......

I posted it a few month ago and the situation did not change yet. The new diesel generation has not the reliability of the old ones. The interest of Toyota also is pretty low in changing the situation. Euro 4 is probably one of the reasons, biodiesel another one. Now Euro 5 is coming. In september at least three J20 engines died in Austria, do you think that those cases did wake up the managers in Nippon?
The same for the Prados , the last J9, the J12 and now the J15. They changed a few times the injectors,(first injectors - step 1 injectors - step 2 and so on) they did upgrading the software, new shims, and and and, but the problem stays. The last Hilux generation is now having those problems.

I had a very long time a good old HDJ. Ok the newer diesel generations consume less, are much more clean and and and, but they do not live long.
What's about the gasoline prices in Europe? In most of the countries the difference now is only a few cent. So the interesst having a diesel is dissapearing more and more.
Hmmm, why does Toyota now wants a cooperation with BMW?

I posted it a few month ago and the situation did not change yet. The new diesel generation has not the reliability of the old ones. The interest of Toyota also is pretty low in changing the situation. Euro 4 is probably one of the reasons, biodiesel another one. Now Euro 5 is coming. In september at least three J20 engines died in Austria, do you think that those cases did wake up the managers in Nippon?
The same for the Prados , the last J9, the J12 and now the J15. They changed a few times the injectors,(first injectors - step 1 injectors - step 2 and so on) they did upgrading the software, new shims, and and and, but the problem stays. The last Hilux generation is now having those problems.

I had a very long time a good old HDJ. Ok the newer diesel generations consume less, are much more clean and and and, but they do not live long.
What's about the gasoline prices in Europe? In most of the countries the difference now is only a few cent. So the interesst having a diesel is dissapearing more and more.

Toyota wants BMW diesels. And I for one am displeased. While all of the current common rail diesels have issues, the BMW engine is terrible, with fuel pumps and injectors failing long before they should. Not to mention the necessity of urea injection.

A Toyota with a BMW diesel would have none of the attributes that make Toyota off road machines popular... now if Cummins was partnering with Toyota... :p

They have not said what exactly they are getting from BMW other than something to do with diesels....

I don't think Toyota wants BMW engines, i think they want to get the emission control systems. Toyota doesn't need to go to BMW to get a diesel engine, the only reason they are doing any work with BMW is cause BMW wants their hybrid technology since BMW (or anyone) can figure out how make a hybrid as good as Toyota.

Toyota has boat loads of experience building engines, both diesel and gas. On top of that they have Hino, a chunck of Isuzu (who build damn good diesels), a share of Fuji Heavy Industries, and a chunk of Yamaha. Also Yanmar uses Toyota blocks for some of their marine diesels. I think they can build a diesel with the resources they have.

They shouldn't risk their reputation (and most likely won't considering their record) by putting someone else's engines in their vehicles. I own a BMW and have very little faith in it as far as reliability goes, reliability is the main reason to buy a Toyota IMO.

I agree that Toyota had good diesel engines. The Yanmar HD-T and HD-FT engine in the HDJ80 (and J100) was phenomenal and good for millions of km (developed by Yanmar in the 70s, not by Toyota) . Also the 13BT or 12H-T engines are legendary. Since a few years the BMW Diesel generation seems working without any problems. But the new Toyota D4-D generation has too much problems. I did run my HDJ for over 16 years and never had probs with the engine.

The Prado, Avensis, Yaris and even the V8 in the LC 200 are not know for running more than 50.000 miles without any problems. Maybe in the past Toyota was the best in constructing automobiles , but ..... they grow to fast and lost their reliability

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom