Diesel in an FJ Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have seen several thread where people are wishing for a diesel option for the FJ Cruiser.

Is it fair to assume that a diesel engine would weigh quite a bit more than a gas engine? How would that affect the off-road capabilities of the truck? I would imagine that Toyota would use stiffer springs to compensate, but more mass is more mass, and I would expect it to be a little tougher to get a heavier rig up a slippery hill.

Or is it possible that the diesel engine wouldn't weigh more than the gas engine?

How well suited to off road use is a diesel motor? Is the extra down low torque usefull enough to negate the extra weight?

Does Toyota have any diesel experience?

Toyota and diesel...hehehe.....almost the entire world outside the USA gets diesels as standard equipment....yes, they have the experience - see the Diesel section here and read for hours on the 1HDT, 3B, and the dozens of other presently available variants.

weight: minor difference...today's modern diesel engines are dimsionally similar to the gassers they replace, with improved mileage and torque characteristics.

I'll wager Toyota comes out with a diesel in about 2009 or 2010 for the FJC....fuel prices need to jump a little more to make it viable, the US consumer is to addicted to their right foot when driving.

I also understand that the US needs to adopt the low sulpher diesel before toyota decides to sell in the US market.

ULSD fuel in U.S.: We're doing our part, now let Toyota do theirs.

I have a diesel F-250 now. Low sulphur is expected to arrive by 2007

Regards,

Pyro-boy said:
I also understand that the US needs to adopt the low sulpher diesel before toyota decides to sell in the US market.

That is what I was told, straight from the proverbial "horse's mouth" at the Off-Road Impact show in the FJ Cruiser booth. Hopefully it happens sooner than later.

you can always do a 70 series swap and have all of us drool all over your rig.

vespadaddy said:
I have seen several thread where people are wishing for a diesel option for the FJ Cruiser.

Is it fair to assume that a diesel engine would weigh quite a bit more than a gas engine? How would that affect the off-road capabilities of the truck? I would imagine that Toyota would use stiffer springs to compensate, but more mass is more mass, and I would expect it to be a little tougher to get a heavier rig up a slippery hill.

Or is it possible that the diesel engine wouldn't weigh more than the gas engine?

How well suited to off road use is a diesel motor? Is the extra down low torque usefull enough to negate the extra weight?

Does Toyota have any diesel experience?

By far the best engines toyota makes are diesels. Their longevity, torque and fuel economy is legendary.
The FJcruiser shares the drivetrain with the prados, which of course all have diesel engines outside of the US. So a swap to a prado engine should be fairly straight forward, and would be incredibly cool.

What turned me off the FJ is the engine. Why on earth would I buy a new vehicle that gets again only 15mpg? I really like the design, the functionality, and that it is new and very affordable. But with a gasser????? Absolutely out of the question.
As a wise person once said (I think it was Peter Straub, but I can't remember accurately): A lot of things need to go right to keep a gas engine running, and a lot of things need to go wrong to keep a diesel engine from running.

Jan-78FJ40 said:
....... So a swap to a prado engine should be fairly straight forward, and would be incredibly cool.

I agree Jan,
Once my FJ is out of warranty(if it ever arrives) I would jump on that.

The only problem is that I am sure the Prado diesel engines may be a bit expensive. :crybaby:

Bob

1977 FJ40 "MuMu"
1992 FJ80 "Tubbs"

As far as the new Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel (ULSD) is concerened, it is required to be at the retailer in September of 06 in the US (even earlier in California). Here is a good link from Chevron all about S15 (Stands for 15 ppm of sulfur compared to the current S500 500 ppm sulfur)

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/ulsd.shtml

Hopefully when this fuel shows up, great diesel engines will not be far behind.

C5Drvr said:
As far as the new Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel (ULSD) is concerened, it is required to be at the retailer in September of 06 in the US (even earlier in California). Here is a good link from Chevron all about S15 (Stands for 15 ppm of sulfur compared to the current S500 500 ppm sulfur)

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/ulsd.shtml

Hopefully when this fuel shows up, great diesel engines will not be far behind.

Sorry for the thread hijack but....
speaking of Chevron. Heard they just announced 4 Billion dollars in profits.

Apr. 27, 2006 article by Matt Vella for Businessweek Note the "hanky test" described in the article :D

Another article from cars.com about an EPA/Borg Warner project for diesel technology development in the USA.

"The technology will help diesel vehicles meet the EPA's Tier 2 clean air standards for passenger vehicles, which are being phased in through 2009, as well as standards for heavy-duty vehicles that will go into effect in 2010, BorgWarner said."

I'm unclear on the phase-in, but it seems to me that although the ultra-low sulfur diesel will be here in the fall, the auto makers will have a much longer phase-in period. Hopefully Toyota will be a front runner - I wanna do the hanky test at my local dealership :cool:

I have also heard that the new fuel needs to have easy acess to the consumer. If only a few fuel organizations have the new fuel then toyota will not even think about it. The new fuel needs to be virtually every where.
As for a turbo diesel engine in a Prado(euro spec one), I have seen one (colorado area)and it is a real sweet package and the owner sites mid to high 20's for fuel ecomany. That would be real sweet. later robbie

This platform has been running the D4D tied to the 6spd manual since 2003. It would be simple for them to make a FJ Cruiser Diesel.

I know there are very simple mods to put the D4D into the 500Nm range .

We used this 2wd D-4D turbo-diesel Hilux in Thailand last year and averaged better than 27mpg with very little typical freeway driving. Mostly all off-road, or 2-lane winding roads. This was with 4 people and all of our backpacks/gear.

L_hilux03.jpg

I think your likely see a hybrid version before diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom