Diesel Heater in 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 1986 4Runner turbo diesel that I camp in. I've been wanting to start camping year round, and was thinking of getting a diesel heater permanently mounted in the back of the truck somewhere. What is a good unit to get, and where would be an ideal place to mount? thanks.

I have a 1986 4Runner turbo diesel that I camp in. I've been wanting to start camping year round, and was thinking of getting a diesel heater permanently mounted in the back of the truck somewhere. What is a good unit to get, and where would be an ideal place to mount? thanks.
Are you wanting an engine diesel coolant heater? Or an air heater? They can be expensive. Look
up Webasto or Espar

Are you wanting an engine diesel coolant heater? Or an air heater? They can be expensive. Look
up Webasto or Espar

An air heater. Just somthing to keep me warm without idling my engine all night. Have dual battery setup so not worried about running a small load.

Webasto makes an air heater, and you can find cheap knock offs from China through
Alibaba. These things will roast you right out of small 4Runner. But at least you won’t
have condensation inside.

I understand diesel since your rig is a diesel, but propane is more efficient.
I’ve got one and it works great and very versatile. If you cook with propane, you’ll be carrying fuel already. It‘s radiant heat so no power is required. 20 lb tank will run all night (8 hrs) for over 2 weeks on low setting. Low is all you’ll need inside a rig on even coldest nights.

Last edited:
I have an espar in my 18 wheeler. Like @cruiserpilot said, it will roast you outta there. They are very efficient. I would only look at webasto or espar. Those china knockoffs freak me out. But if you are a risk taker or budget minded have at it.

Install is super easy, and vent can be away from the body of the unit. Lots of vanlifers have em. And no condensation like you get with propane heaters.

I understand diesel since your rig is a diesel, but propane is more efficient.
I’ve got one and it works great and very versatile. If you cook with propane, you’ll be carrying fuel already. Its radiant heat so no power is required. 20 lb tank will run all night (8 hrs) for over 2 weeks on low setting. Low is all you’ll need inside a rig on oven coldest nights.
A diesel heater doesn't put out condensation like a buddy heater and can provide a lot more heat. Diesel heater is a safer option as well in terms of fire risk, carbon monoxide, etc.

Carbon monoxide detector is a must for both, but I wouldn't go to sleep with a buddy heater running.

A diesel heater doesn't put out condensation like a buddy heater and can provide a lot more heat. Diesel heater is a safer option as well in terms of fire risk, carbon monoxide, etc.

Carbon monoxide detector is a must for both, but I wouldn't go to sleep with a buddy heater running.
Agreed. Once I’m in my sleeping bag, I’m not worried about heat till I wake up, so condensation from any heater is not a concern. Heater only used when I’m awake. But I can move my Buddy wherever I go…..annex, in rig or trailer. And in my garage if needed or house in a power outage. Only posted as a suggestion or idea for OP to kick around…..versatility being the motive. I mentioned capacity for comparison purposes.

I have a Webasto air top 2000 , in my 78 , eberspaker are as good as well .
safe efficient , it will keep you in a t-shirt in the car with -13 C outside .
they use 250 cc of diesel fuel /h , and little battery power .
I use one since 2-3 years , very happy .
do't but the Chinese copies , they work , but not reliable .

John McK on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/user/johnmck1147) has a ton of videos on diesel heaters, how they work, how they're serviced, etc. Lots of comparisons between the known good units like Webasto, etc. and the flood of Chinese heaters on the market. Dig a little further and you can find videos of installs (including in cases like Pelicans for portable units), etc. Yours is maybe the ideal case, since you can permanently mount it and plumb it to the 4Runner's fuel supply.

I built one into a knockoff Pelican case that sees use maybe 2-3 times per year, so the Chinese stuff was fine for me. So far it's worked well, though the lowest temps I've used it in have been around 10º F. I bought a 5kW model to keep an ARB awning room warm—for a 4Runner, it's at least two times as powerful as you need. 5kW has so far been good for about +50º F over ambient at full tilt, even in something as airtight (lol) as an 8' x 8' awning room.

Camping at high elevations?? Espar comes with an auto compensator for high elevations. My Webasto would soot up above 5000'. Swaped it out for an Espar.
Good to 10,000'+.

Can also vouch for above: The Webasto 2000 in my former Kimberley Kamper would not perform very well or at all above about 4000’. At sea level it was great.

Fast forward to the Espar S2D2L with integrated altitude correction in our modded Escape trailer…its an incredible heater and have used it at 10k+ feet w/o issue.

Just know the diesel heaters need an annual service, which isn’t difficult nor expensive, along with clean fuel & regular use, to keep them happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom