Diesel Forum Intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DPV7070

ForceFed40
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey gents, new to the specific diesel forum, but not really new to 'Mud. I've been a long time diesel forum lurker, especially when I was in Afghanistan-- contemplating a diesel swap into my '72 FJ40--but I'm generally over on the FJ40 Toyota Tech section.

I've owned multiple diesels and I've always loved the clackity clack, simplicity, etc, so when it came time to start thinking about re-powering my FJ40 with a hack job SBC 350, it was either diesel or a Vortec ($$$). I saw the light and now have a '82 MB OM617.952 with approximately 174k on the clock sitting in my garage that runs, doesn't have blowby from the limited time I've run it, and generally is pretty clean. I know it's not Toyota, so I expect some flack, but the cherry on "the Mule" was popped before I got it...

Here's a video of it running:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqkuOcm0KuU

My plans are to mate this engine using the 4x4 Labs dapter to early model ('94) GM NV4500 (wide ratio, 6.34:1 first gear) and Orion 4:1 transfercase. I have all these except the Orion 4:1. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions, but rest assured I'll use the search function before I ask.

About me: Marine Officer and pilot, husband, dad, Afghanistan (OEF) veteran, car nut, gun nut, hunter, fisher, y'all get the point.

Lookin' forward to it!!!!

Welcome to the best forum there is .......

That diesel sounds really sweet. The sound tells you clearly that it's a diesel when it's idling but when revved up it smooths out so much it leaves you wondering again whether it really is or not.

I was first impressed by Mercedes diesels (and their "disappearing-diesel characteristic") way back as a teenager when I used to go on hunting trips with my mate in his old 190D up riverbeds (like the Clarence River in the South Island here). That engine was so smooth too. Except that is, for one day when a blade broke off the big cast-alloy radiator fan and put a big raised pimple in the bonnet/hood. It sure jumped around when running one-blade-short!

That old car was so rusty!It had been brought out to NZ from Europe as deck-cargo on a fishing trawler!
:cheers:

Welcome from a fellow car and gun nut! There is a bloke here in New Mexico with that engine in his fj40. Go on the high desert cruisers club section for his build.

You won't get any flack from me: that's a sweet setup. As Tom said, Mercedes makes a lovely diesel.

Welcome, like Josh and Tom said, sweet engine, just search, lots here. Used to fly KC-130F's out of Okie many moons ago. That's how I got here...loved it from the start so will finish here, ha. In the States, just get something you can get parts for....seems to be the hurdle most have there...Semper Fi, again welcome..Lee

I haven't been doing much updating over on this side of the forum, but here's a short clip of the Mule firing up. I missed the first start due to a power steering fluid "eruption," ha!

Still need to run that can of diesel purge through it and get some exhaust going....

Sounds like a great engine….have fn with the build!

Why wouldn't that engine be welcome. It has heratige here as well.... (OK, maybe bloodlines?)

The Bandeirante OJ40/OJ45 Series (1968 to 1973), OJ50/OJ55 Series (1973 to 1994) and BJ50/BJ55 Series (1994 to 2001) are J4 series built in Brazil by Toyota do Brasil Ltda from 1968 to 2001. Identical to the BJ40 in almost every respect, it had a few stylistic modifications to the grille (models produced from 1989 on featured square headlights, instead of the round ones used before) and used Mercedes-Benz OM-314/OM-324/OM-364 diesel engines (replaced by Toyota 14B inline 4 direct injection Diesel engine in 1994)

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I'm currently trouble shooting some NV4500 transmission issues, but I'll try to keep updating the thread...

Love the sound of that engine. Makes me want to add a turbo to my 3B...one day.

Go for it - awesome difference in power! I love my Turbo'd 3B!

Come fly here in Okinawa... locals not a big fan of your bird, but the rest of us like them!

Welcome on the diesel side!

Dan

Hey all,

I've got a 1990 Hilux with the 2LTE and I'm looking for a good tech in the NYC or Syracuse area. I need a topped rebuild! Can anyone recommend a tech or some good diesel shops?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom