Diesel Compression Tester (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to test the compression on my 1985 3B, nothing wrong, just curious. I would like to buy a quality gauge, but I realistically probably will not use it 10 times in my life, so it is hard to justify spending a lot on one. I generally don't like to trust Harbor Freight for these kinds of things.

Can anyone recommend a decent tester?

What about an adapter? I have searched and it looks like an adapter that is 10mmx1.25 by 28mm, is that correct? Can anybody recommend a brand?

If you're only using it a few times just pick up one of the inexpensive compression tester kits on Ebay. They will have an assortment of adapters, one is almost always the 10mm x 1.25. Just ask the seller before bidding to be sure. They are usually Harbor-freight like in quality. I have one of these cheap sets and also a MightyVac digital compression tester. They both provide the same results. The MightyVac is nice because it will remember up to 12 cylinders worth of compression results. So I can do three passes on a 3B and not have to write anything down.

You might be able to find a Kent Moore brand tester on Ebay. That's what was used in most GM service shops for years.

I bought a cheap kit off ebay recently.. I used it to test the compression on my old 2H prior to removal.. it worked ok for that.. but the release valve didnt work.. no biggie..

I installed my new engine then tested the compression.. the gauge blew out on the second cylinder.. the 8th cylinder I tested with the kit.. <sigh>

This is the cheapie I bought that blew up:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-pc-Di...36?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item35db3e2dc0

Last edited:
It's hard to know if that adapter will work with the tester. The quick-change fittings aren't universal and using the zoom feature on those images looks like the connections are different. You would be better off with a Kent Moore kit that includes the adapters.

A couple of photos to demonstrate the connection points that look to be incompatible. But the Kent Moore unit comes with an adapter that might make it work. Hard to know.
adapter-1.JPG

adapter-2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom