SOLD Diesel 73/74 - Series in the US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 70 Series
I might have made a horrible mistake, but I sold my FJ40 (childhood dream vehicle) last week to start working on a 73 (adulthood dream vehicle), so please help me find one. Looking for your BJ/HZJ 73/74 series. What I would ideally like:

• Drive: Left hand preferred. Right would be interesting, but its on the wrong side of the vehicle for where I live
  • Body: not like swiss cheese. I am not afraid of some body rust and work, but I would like to not be able to see daylight through it.
  • Frame: solid. Minor surface rust okay, but I want a solid frame (looking at you East Coast and Canada)
  • Transmission: manual. Give me that sweet h55f action.
  • Motor: Diesels wanted. 3b, 13bt, 1h, 12ht, 1hd, or even a blown/missing engine would be acceptable if the price was right

I am looking for a tinkering project, and am not afraid of putting in some wrench time, but not a full frame off restoration. I did one of those already on my 40 and while it was fun, I am at a place in my life where having a garage full of parts and a rolling frame is not super appealing again, haha.

I am in the Western Washington/Seattle area for shipping and what not, but if I could find one locally that I could see in person that would be even more amazing. I know Land Cruisers are very popular around here, so that might help me.

Not in a rush either, just looking for the right one as a build a new garage to work on it.

Last edited:
I found this guy a few weeks ago. Not exactly what I was looking for but could be a good build.

Thanks, I've been watching that one as well. It looks like it is in really good shape. I was looking for more of a project than that. Personally, seems a bit high for a VM motor since I have heard nothing but bad things about those, haha. I was looking for something more in the range of some others that sold in the $8-12k range over the last few years on here.

Like Gold Boys - SOLD - 1986 Toyota Land Cruiser Bj74 *reduced price* | IH8MUD Forum but in hopefully left hand drive

Last edited:
Totally agree – I talked to the owners of that one and came to the same conclusion about price for needing to eventually pull the motor/transmission. The body seems to be in great condition but they did mention something about an issue with bodywork done on the front right fender. I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything on my end to share back to you.

Confirmed

IMG_20210104_124137.jpg

Thanks, I've been watching that one as well. It looks like it is in really good shape. I was looking for more of a project than that. Personally, seems a bit high for a VM motor since I have heard nothing but bad things about those, haha. I was looking for something more in the range of some others that sold in the $8-12k range over the last few years on here.

Like Gold Boys - SOLD - 1986 Toyota Land Cruiser Bj74 *reduced price* | IH8MUD Forum but in hopefully left hand drive

I will say BJ74 only came in RHD....(except for one strange LHD 13BT for the paris dakar)

BJ73's from Spain/Canary island will be left hand and "can" be 3B or usually VM Motorri from Spain.
BJ73's also came from Europe LHD. 3B.

HZJ73 from Europe will be LHD 1HZ

Most HZJ73 you see are from Japan, (at least that I see) and RHD 1HZ
You can find HZJ74 as well in LHD, but I believe most of those are still to new to import and will be $$$. 1HZ

The left hand drive stipulation is going to drive the price up regardless of the engine.

You've seen this one on the board? Not exactly close to home.

Unfortunately 70 series have gone up in value over the past few years in the US and everywhere else worldwide so whatever you found for sale 4 years ago for 10k will probably sell closer to 15 k in today's market. LHD values will continue to go up for sure while I believe that rhd will settle and eventually go down once the novelty wears off like we have seen to happen in Canada where they are 10 years ahead on importing these.

8-12 k today will probably either get you a VM powered lhd or a rhd that you will see the daylight trough that came here with a extended layover in Canada.

You might want to consider looking for a lhd LJ73 with the 2LT that gets a very bad rep online but is actually a great little motor if you take care of it , I have owned several of these LJ's over the years and racked some miles up driving them , suspension is superior to the heavy duty leaf sprung models and better ground clearance with the 8" differentials also. Because of the reputation of the rhd versions with the troublesome 2LTE these are not doing great in the second hand market , lhd only with manual transmission in this model !!!!

Unfortunately 70 series have gone up in value over the past few years in the US and everywhere else worldwide so whatever you found for sale 4 years ago for 10k will probably sell closer to 15 k in today's market. LHD values will continue to go up for sure while I believe that rhd will settle and eventually go down once the novelty wears off like we have seen to happen in Canada where they are 10 years ahead on importing these.

8-12 k today will probably either get you a VM powered lhd or a rhd that you will see the daylight trough that came here with a extended layover in Canada.

You might want to consider looking for a lhd LJ73 with the 2LT that gets a very bad rep online but is actually a great little motor if you take care of it , I have owned several of these LJ's over the years and racked some miles up driving them , suspension is superior to the heavy duty leaf sprung models and better ground clearance with the 8" differentials also. Because of the reputation of the rhd versions with the troublesome 2LTE these are not doing great in the second hand market , lhd only with manual transmission in this model !!!!

Thanks Joe for the info. I am in for a VM powered rig with a blown motor that I can swap out, that is actually exactly what I am after. I had a feeling like the 40 & 60 market the 73/74 were going up in value still, but that is good to know. $12-15k is still very doable in my book.

I am not opposed to a RHD.. I've just noticed more LHD models starting to pop up and that appeals to me. So I added the 74 in there as well because I could sacrafice LHD for a 13BT (as long as its a manual). I need to try driving a RHD model to see how bad it actually is. I've heard its a pain in 2-lane highway driving when you have to pass, or in city traffic when you have to merge and it creates a nice blind spot.

Noted on the LJ models. I haven't seen many of them for sale. I've seen quite a few Prados with the 2LT (I am just South of Vancouver in Washington so they are fairly common here).

Last edited:
Thanks Joe for the info. I am in for a VM powered rig with a blown motor that I can swap out, that is actually exactly what I am after. I had a feeling like the 40 & 60 market the 73/74 were going up in value still, but that is good to know. $12-15k is still very doable in my book.

I am not opposed to a RHD.. I've just noticed more LHD models starting to pop up and that appeals to me. So I added the 74 in there as well because I could sacrafice LHD for a 13BT (as long as its a manual). I need to try driving a RHD model to see how bad it actually is. I've heard its a pain in 2-lane highway driving when you have to pass, or in city traffic when you have to merge and it creates a nice blind spot.

Noted on the LJ models. I haven't seen many of them for sale. I've seen quite a few Prados with the 2LT (I am just South of Vancouver in Washington so they are fairly common here).
Again the rhd models do not have the 2LT but 2LTE and I do not recommend getting any of those , a prado is the same as a LJ it is just that people are naming these different in certain countries.

RHD is not hard to me it is pretty boring to drive on the wrong side of the road and it takes away the joy of driving a cruiser , most people who disagree with me come to their sense once they sold their rhd and bought a lhd ;)

Again the rhd models do not have the 2LT but 2LTE and I do not recommend getting any of those , a prado is the same as a LJ it is just that people are naming these different in certain countries.

RHD is not hard to me it is pretty boring to drive on the wrong side of the road and it takes away the joy of driving a cruiser , most people who disagree with me come to their sense once they sold their rhd and bought a lhd ;)

I mean I suppose if I REALLY wanted a project I could always swap firewalls and go LHD from a RHD, haha.

If you can get a LHD, then get one IMO. Easier to drive and will hold value better. I would prefer a LHD 70 series, but I can't afford a LHD 70 series.

Now I daily drive a BJ74, the first year was in the middle of nowhere and right now it’s city driving.
It is a pain passing on 2 lane roads. Honestly I don't have to do it much because I'm rarely going over the speed limit. That said, the semi's are the worst to pass by far. Again, I rarely have to do that, so I just roll with it.

In the city, it's not that big of deal for me. I'm not talking stop/go hours of traffic and freeway. Just city driving. There are blindspots but the goodthing is the cruiser is like a fishbowl and you can see out of everywhere. Honestly my wifes 2015 Sienna has way more annoying blindspots . Drivethru's are a pain but I almost never do those unless some one is with me.

Bottom line, I really enjoy my BJ74. The RRHD doesn't really bother me that much at all. I would prefer a LHD. A LHD HZJ73/74 would be pretty sweet. If you are up for a project, get a LHD VM engine and swap something fun in there. 1HDFTE...

I mean I suppose if I REALLY wanted a project I could always swap firewalls and go LHD from a RHD, haha.
This is not an easy swap as it is on a 40 series or a defender and you will probably ending up spending more then buying a lhd to start with

You've seen this one on the board? Not exactly close to home.

I updated the price to $26,000

Sorry Joeri. For the first time I must respectfully disagree with you. RHD doesn't really take away the joy for me but it can be a PITA at times (drive thrus, passing other cars, etc). One real advantage here is that the pandhandlers skip my cruiser as they walk down the line of cars at the stop light.

As you know my first 70 series was LHD and now I am in a RHD so this is just my two cents.

Sorry Joeri. For the first time I must respectfully disagree with you. RHD doesn't really take away the joy for me but it can be a PITA at times (drive thrus, passing other cars, etc). One real advantage here is that the pandhandlers skip my cruiser as they walk down the line of cars at the stop light.

As you know my first 70 series was LHD and now I am in a RHD so this is just my two cents.

That’s just because you went from a gasser to a diesel buddy ;)

Back to the top. Still looking for one (preferably one currently in the US, and on the West coast would be just more ideal)

Bump, the search continues. Someone out there has a 73 project they want to sell to me I know it. Still open to a 74 as well if the price is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom