Did I make a mistake? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's my story, go easy on me. I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.

Here's the story. I have been building and using off road vehicles for about 20 years. Started out building Baja Bugs and then just sort of fell into the Jeep thing. Built, drove those for a while but to be totally honest the Jeep thing has just gotten totally out of hand. I could take driving down the road and seeing 17 brand new Jeeps exactly like the one I have been driving for 15 years passing and waving at me gong the other direction. I know that's lame, superficial, call it what you want. There was just something about how trendy the jeeps got that sort of didn't sit right with me.
So here I am, the proud new owner of my new project - a Land Cruiser.
I spent a lot time thinking about what I wanted. I am absolutely in love with the 60 series body style. But when it came right down to it, I wanted a V8, and being fat and lazy I wanted the posh interior of the 80/100 series. Considering that I will be spending most of my time with the Land Cruiser sitting inside of it, I decided to go with the power and interior.
Between the 80 and the 100, I slightly favored the 80 because of some of the options that were offered in that series, but I was ok with landing on a 100 if the right thing came along.
At the time I was shopping, where I live (including surrounding areas) the Land Cruiser market has been real thin for a few months now.
Eventually I stumbled onto a 100 the, although fairly heavily worn on the inside, was/is mechanically sound and in good shape otherwise. The wear/tear stuff doesn't concern me. I am an old body shop guy so light interior reconditioning is not an issue. Original owner, service records
Here where I got spooked.......
I admit it, I didn't do enough homework.
I didn't realize the 100 is a torsion bar suspension. It should have occurred to me since I knew it was IFS, but for some reason it just didn't.
Now I am wondering if I made a mistake. Like I said, I am a recovering Jeep addict and accustomed to straight axle building and wheeling.
- What the he11 should I expect from this?
- Is this not going to work for trails rated, say 3 ? (with standard mods - coils, shocks, torsion bars)

I don't plan on doing the Rubicon or anything like that. The wife and I will be taking on moderate and lower trails, but I still want to be able get myself out of a jam without hearing fracturing steal.

Let me know if, in your opinion, I am better off with the 80.

I don't think you made a mistake. For your application and use the 100 sounds just fine.

If you're not satisfied, then sell the 100 and score an 80. Or keep the 100 and go buy a 80 that you can wheel harder;). Done.

I'm not a rock crawler so I can't personally speak to the trail rating capabilities. What year did you wind up with? There are some minor differences.

Its a 2000.
I don't necessarily feel like I made a mistake. Its just that I am 'used to' a straight axle. So my inexperience with this front suspension has me a little apprehensive.
To be clear - I am not building a rock crawler. My days of welding parts while my rig is wedge between boulders are behind me. This is absolutely going to be a trail rig/overland type build.

Run through the pic thread, plenty of 100's doing 3's and harder. If you're going to hang your hat solely on IFS, you might be stupid.
I just might be.
I am smart enough, though, to know what I don't know. ...An what I don't know is how durable the 2000 Land Cruiser Independent Front Suspension is or what its capable of.

So do some research and some driving before you buy in to the hype. You've got a tranny issue I'd be way more worried about vs. the IFS.

(that's a joke, there are many threads here of '00 tranny issues and in the microcosm of Mud you'd think it's every truck)

I sold my 60 to get a 100. Best decision I've done yet. The 100 will do anything the 60 will but in comfort. AC going in leather seats listening to pandora haha
That's reassuring to hear. Thanks.
I don't plan to go too nuts on the build. I am adamantly ignoring my buddy who races Baja who has been chirping in my ear about Coilovers and roll cages since I bought it. He's already calling it "The 8 Seater Hoop Eater"
I'm thinking a nice 2"-2.5" lift, splurge a little on some shocks but not too much. Pick a manageable tire size and then..........
leave it alone.
I absolutely agree - A/C and leather are the only way to hit the trail any more.

So do some research and some driving before you buy in to the hype. You've got a tranny issue I'd be way more worried about vs. the IFS.

(that's a joke, there are many threads here of '00 tranny issues and in the microcosm of Mud you'd think it's every truck)

That's good to know. I'll look those up to see if there is anything I should be on the lookout for.
Tranny doesn't worry me too much. If it needs a motor, I'll build a motor. If it needs a tranny, I'll swap one out. I do ok with that kind of stuff. I trust the people on here (experts?). Seems like the consensus is that front suspension on that thing is plenty durable and capable for what I intend to use it for. So apprehension alleviated.

“People fear what they don't understand and hate what they can't conquer.”
Andrew Smith

Coming from a guy that went from an XJ to the 100, while the approach angle is no where as good as a jeep I find that the 100 has done pretty much everything I was willing to do in my jeep but in comfort with butt warmers (when needed). Def look through the pic thread. You'd be surprised what these thing are capable of. I know I was

Put some 33" tires and some rock sliders on it and you'll be able to handle most trails rated a 3. They will be even easier with off-road experience to help you pick good lines.

Don't stress it and enjoy your upgrade :cheers:

Hi Circus Finger... Welcome to the boards.

Other than your unfamiliarity with front IFS/Torsion, what is it specifically that concerns you? IFS/torsion is a well proven and flexible architecture. While not as simple as a straight axle, allows for a huge strides in drivability and stability on-road. No death wobble ever to be concerned of.

Torsion allows for ride height adjust-ability to front weight change (i.e. winch), or just to lift. IFS in the 100-series has proven incredibly robust and capable. Only real drawback is limited lift-ability for aggressive lifts. 2" is about it to retain good geometry and droop. It will take a nice tall tire up to ~35" with minimal other mods. 33-34" is easy peasy.

Trails rated a 3 are do-able stock!

Circus, I'm on the same page as you - If I had all my dreams come true, I would have my current 100 in my garage parked next to a mint condition 60 series with a V8 upgrade. I love the look of the 60s. The 80 has never tempted me. I don't do any serious rock crawling so the IFS in the 100 is a plus for me. And the 100 is noticeably quicker than the 80. As a tall guy I also appreciate the extra room in the front seat in the 100 vs the 80.

Give it some time, I bet this will eventually be one of your all time favorite vehicles.

You'll enjoy having to only swap out a CV axle vs. a complete knuckle rebuild on an 80; plus you won't be finding new and creative ways to not overheat or blow a HG.

I've had four 80's and love them, but for my DD expo rig the 100 is where it's at.

Hi Circus Finger... Welcome to the boards.

Other than your unfamiliarity with front IFS/Torsion, what is it specifically that concerns you? IFS/torsion is a well proven and flexible architecture. While not as simple as a straight axle, allows for a huge strides in drivability and stability on-road. No death wobble ever to be concerned of.

Torsion allows for ride height adjust-ability to front weight change (i.e. winch), or just to lift. IFS in the 100-series has proven incredibly robust and capable. Only real drawback is limited lift-ability for aggressive lifts. 2" is about it to retain good geometry and droop. It will take a nice tall tire up to ~35" with minimal other mods. 33-34" is easy peasy.

Trails rated a 3 are do-able stock!

" IFS in the 100-series has proven incredibly robust and capable. "..........you had me at IFS..
Just kidding. That's pretty much all I was looking for though. An experienced opinion as to its robust-ness and capability.
After these responses, I feel confident this 100 series will be able to handle the trails we'll be throwing at it.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom