Did I break it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, last week, I had an early morning rescue attempt with a truck at work -truck and empty 53' trailer, stuck in some mud on a gravel road. Yeah, I know, too big...

Well, I hooked up the winch to the truck, and gave it a tug or two, trying to pull it with the winch once or twice while the guy tried to give some gas to the truck. I couldn't pull him out. It turns out he had overheated the trans and thus was giving no power to the ground. I tried to pull him with my truck in reverse once or twice, but spun all 4 tires trying...

Anyway, the winch squeaked a little bit when pulling the line back in after I gave up, any chance I damaged the winch? Again, I didn't pull but a second or two twice with the winch, and then another second or two with my truck, then gave up.

Flame away... :)

What type of winch?

Any visible damage?

It is a Warn 8274. I didn't pull anything apart, but it seems ok other than the squeaking when I was reeling it in. The squeaking wasn't terrible sounding, just like a door hinge that needs some WD40 :).

What type of winch?

Any visible damage?
Howdy! Aren't most winches designed to stall out/ shear a pin/blow a fuse(breaker) beforethey break anything? If it has a dry bearing starting to talk, it was most likely already dry, just waiting for a good reason to get noisy. John

How long since it last was spun over?

MISF ran into a deal where his Megawinch fried a gear because he put a load on it after it had basically sat for months unused on the front his truck. No lube on the gear. He now makes a point of spinning the winch in 'neutral' for several seconds in each direction before putting a load on it.

How long since the oil was changed??

Oil change? :) I haven't changed it. Also haven't really used it other than to spool it once or twice a couple of feet in the last 6 months.

How do you change the oil then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom