DFW Mechanic-TOP NOTCH!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got my 70' Fj40 just over a year ago. It was in great condition body wise but needed some attention to get it running right. I did some research on the forum for a quality mechanics in the area. I narrowed it down to two and contacted both. One was really busy (a month out) and one could get to it vary quick. So since they both had a good recommendation on here, I took it to the one who wasn't as busy.

My work list was as follows:
1. I wanted to change out my 70' front end to a 78' front end so I could get front discs
2. I had an Old Man Emu kit that needed to be installed
3. I needed the carb rebuilt and an engine tune
4. I had an exhaust leak and possible manifold leak
5. I had some electrical issues

Well, FIVE months later I got it back. It took forever and the final bill was EXTREMELY high! I figured it was worth it if the Fj ran as good as the mechanic said. When I got it back home and took it for the first drive I felt like I had been robbed! I didn't run right, it back fired like a 45 pistol going off every time I turned off the engine, the exhaust still leaked, the new inspection sticker said "JEEP" on it, etc, etc, etc. I loaded it on the trailer and took it back to the shop! I waited another three weeks for my vehicle. When I got it back it ran better but all the issues were still not fixed. I decided to cut my losses and find another mechanic.
I got back on the forum and found the other mechanic that was highly recommended, Butch Baker (TEXICAN). Butch was very professional on the phone and I immediately felt comfortable with him. He asked me to email him my work list so we could keep track of the work.

My work list was as follows:
1. fix broken hinges on windshield
2. install power steering
3. fix the bend in the front of the frame
4. fix exhaust leak that was never fixed properly
5. fix windshield brackets that wouldn't allow my dash knobs to screw into
6. fix my gas pedal line that constantly sticks
7. install kill switch
8. install electronic ignition (recommended by Butch)
9. upgrade alternator (recommended by Butch)
10. install new starter and distributor cap

He quoted me 2 to 3 weeks to do the work and that's exactly how long it took! He sent me pics updating me on the progress. His prices were fair and his service was exceptional! As a business owner myself, I have very high standards and Butch exceeded all my expectations!
If you are looking for a quality mechanic in the DFW area, call Butch. He's the real deal!!!

Last edited:
The day I bought my 70 FJ40
IMG_1128.jpg

A month ago before it went to Butch
fj40pic6.jpg

fj40pic5.jpg

More pics coming soon!

Who was the first shop? Send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want to post it here.

Butch IS great!

Can you also PM me the name of the first shop so I don't go there by mistake?

Love the color combo! Glad you found a reputable place to take it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom