Desmog Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently I tackled a bunch of the leaks (a bunch of the seals/gaskets/pipes/etc) in the LC which was super satisfying as I have little mechanical experience. My next order of business has been to remove the power steering pump that has been puking oil all over the place. I decided to go with the Saginaw pump and redo the power steering lines. The biggest obstacle was removing the high pressure line from the steering box due to the Smog pump and pipes/lines. I decided to take out the Smog pump as I have been finding out it is easier to take more things off and get the access I need.

During the removal, many of the large pipes from the Smog pump were hard and just cracked when removing. The large line coming from the bottom was folding in half anyway so I doubt much desmogging was happening anyway. Like many of the insides of the truck engine area, the smog system is going to need either some serious work throughout or a desomg.

I have decided to go with a Desmog since emissions testing is not needed here in the mountains of Colorado. (the Front Range is a different story) Also, I would like to go to an EFI system too at some point. I have been going though every thread /article/site I can find to see if there was a step by step and this what I have found. Do these directions look like a good place to start? LINK

Additionally, what is the overall preference on Desmog kit? The JimC kit or the Manafrelv? It seems like both of these kits are pretty similar? Thanks for all the help and any advice would be appreciated.

The desmog isn’t hard. You can do it by looking at pictures. Find “My Desmog Thread” and read away. Didn’t view that document because I’m on my cell phone. Too small to read.

I’d go with the JimC kit. His idler pulley is nicer than what MAF sells IMHO. I have his idler pulley after my SOR unit wore out.

Save the parts you don’t need, and don’t break anything. Other people might need them.

Recently I tackled a bunch of the leaks (a bunch of the seals/gaskets/pipes/etc) in the LC which was super satisfying as I have little mechanical experience. My next order of business has been to remove the power steering pump that has been puking oil all over the place. I decided to go with the Saginaw pump and redo the power steering lines. The biggest obstacle was removing the high pressure line from the steering box due to the Smog pump and pipes/lines. I decided to take out the Smog pump as I have been finding out it is easier to take more things off and get the access I need.

During the removal, many of the large pipes from the Smog pump were hard and just cracked when removing. The large line coming from the bottom was folding in half anyway so I doubt much desmogging was happening anyway. Like many of the insides of the truck engine area, the smog system is going to need either some serious work throughout or a desomg.

I have decided to go with a Desmog since emissions testing is not needed here in the mountains of Colorado. (the Front Range is a different story) Also, I would like to go to an EFI system too at some point. I have been going though every thread /article/site I can find to see if there was a step by step and this what I have found. Do these directions look like a good place to start? LINK

Additionally, what is the overall preference on Desmog kit? The JimC kit or the Manafrelv? It seems like both of these kits are pretty similar? Thanks for all the help and any advice would be appreciated.

the desmog is simple. no you don’t need a kit.
They are just pullies on a flat piece of strap. But you already have a good pulley just devain your smog pump and send it

every vacuum line but one from the carb to the distributer gets ripped out

bring it on over and can give ya a hand

the desmog is simple. no you don’t need a kit.
They are just pullies on a flat piece of strap.

This. Just get some strap and head to your local mower repair place, flip open the Sten’s reseller catalogue and pick out a pulley.

Every desmog guide on this forum details drastic steps to remove every little component that was mentioned in the emissions manual. The guides are way overkill and most of the suggestions (to remove every emissions component) are totally unnecessary and often detrimental to the engine's performance.

Desmogging the cruiser so that it's easier to work on and doesn't hesitate during light throttle acceleration, just entails removing the air injection system and properly disabling the EGR system (and getting the distributor recurved). And possibly removing the catalytic converter.
Everything else can and should stay.

Thanks all for the advice. I just ordered the parts from JimC. I like the simplicity, even though costly, of the idler pulley compared to a devained pump. The plan is to label all the parts and save them if I ever need them in the future. I need to get the new lines on order.

@OSS is there anything in particular that is often stated to be removed that you would keep? I live at ~7k ft so keeping the HAC is a must.
@rhah I appreciate the willingness to help out! Turns out Ottawa is about 11hrs from Steamboat! I am not sure the cruiser is that seaworthy yet :)

Especially at your altitude, I’d keep the Hot Air Intake and HIC valve plumbing. Also the Choke Opener System, Choke Breaker and EVAP system.
Gutting the spaghetti piping makes plumbing the CO system and distributor vacuum stuff a lot messier. Personally I’d keep the spaghetti piping installed and plug unused pipes.
There’s no need to cut and weld the exhaust pipe air injection bypass pipe low down on the ex pipe. Its check valve prevents any backflow.

Thanks all for the advice. I just ordered the parts from JimC. I like the simplicity, even though costly, of the idler pulley compared to a devained pump. The plan is to label all the parts and save them if I ever need them in the future. I need to get the new lines on order.

@OSS is there anything in particular that is often stated to be removed that you would keep? I live at ~7k ft so keeping the HAC is a must.
@rhah I appreciate the willingness to help out! Turns out Ottawa is about 11hrs from Steamboat! I am not sure the cruiser is that seaworthy yet :)
If your in steam boat junk the stock carb
A guy on here sells a desmoged high altitude carb... it’s like 250$ well worth the money and saves you the problems of a rejet or keeping the hac hooked up

steamboats not to far, will be near there around Christmas if your not done by then.

Colorado area is about every other month at my rate....

Thanks for the advice. It looks like the directions that I have leave the items that you all have mentioned. That makes me feel pretty good. Now I need to figure out what they all do! I have been looking these up and getting an idea what all of these parts are.

I will slowly go through this process as I do not want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Additionally, while I am in there, the plan will be to do the exhaust manifold gasket. Hopefully that will go well too.

@rhah I like the idea of the high elevation carb. I think though I will be headed in the direction of EFI though. It gets pretty darn cold here and I like the idea of an easy cold start. Also, the self learning Sniper sounds intriguing with all of the changing of elevations. As always I only know enough to be dangerous.... not much practical knowledge yet. Again, thanks for the willingness to help.

One other question. When removing the low pressure lines power steering lines near the radiator which line (right or left) goes to the steering box and which to the power steering pump? Like an idiot I removed both after battling with the Smog pump and did not take note on which one was which. Now when putting the new power steering pump I can't remember which side goes where. Next time... one part removed at a time. Thanks

Every desmog guide on this forum details drastic steps to remove every little component that was mentioned in the emissions manual. The guides are way overkill and most of the suggestions (to remove every emissions component) are totally unnecessary and often detrimental to the engine's performance.

Desmogging the cruiser so that it's easier to work on and doesn't hesitate during light throttle acceleration, just entails removing the air injection system and properly disabling the EGR system (and getting the distributor recurved). And possibly removing the catalytic converter.
Everything else can and should stay.
That's essentially what a 3FE desmog is, with the additional removal (which due to their size and design doesn't improve performance unless they're clogged) of the catalytic converters. I also removed the EGR on mine, which really doesn't affect smog or performance per se (or at least doesn't immediately affect it), but gets rid of unserviceable parts that are NLA anyway, and removes a source of long term carbon buildup in the intake manifold and on the cold start injector. Long term benefits, but no immediate performance benefit. OTOH it does free up a little real estate.

That said I realize this is for a 2F but just wanted to throw that out there.....

If you remove the secondary air system (air pump) then you are pretty much eliminating the operation of the Cat and shoud just remove the Cat. On my demog I removed the SAS and the EGR and I left the EVAP system in place.

When removing the low pressure lines power steering lines near the radiator which line (right or left) goes to the steering box and which to the power steering pump?

The return line from the steering gearbox , through the cooling tube, then up to the power steering pump reservoir is all low pressure. It's just a return line. The cooling tube is just a bent piece of tubing. It doesn't matter which way the fluid flows through it. Just attach it whichever way it lines up the best .

@OSS Perfect! Thanks. I hopefully in the next few days will have some time to start making some progress on the Desmog. While I am in there I will also replace the exhaust manifold gasket. Seems like a good time for that while everything is exposed. Thanks for advice.

If you remove the secondary air system (air pump) then you are pretty much eliminating the operation of the Cat and shoud just remove the Cat. On my demog I removed the SAS and the EGR and I left the EVAP system in place.
Oh yeah there's one I forgot to mention. EVAP stayed in my 62 also. No performance or economy to be gained by eliminating it, and it's so tucked in you don't gain any real estate by removing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom