Deep Cycle Battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lt1fire

SILVER Star
Threads
I have most of my parts ready for my dual battery install except the actual second battery. I've read lots of post on the different batteries people use and been to the websites to check out different specs but i'm not sure exactly what makes one deep cycle better than the next. What am I looking for in terms of specs on a deep cycle battery that makes it good?

I'm there with you. I think I am going to go with costco's marine battery for my basic set up. the main reason, their price and 2 year warranty.

Last edited:
Not sure on specs, but the way I understand it the marine batteries have thicker plates and are generally better constructed so they can handle being discharged further than standard starting-type batteries without damage. They also usually have the nifty marine posts in addition to the normal battery posts.

I got an Odyessy battery for my dual set-up. On their website they state that they use 99.99% pure lead which allows them to make thinner plates, and therefore pack more plates in the casing giving them more surface area (15% more than a spiral wound type battery; e.g. Optima). The same design is also supposed to be good for up to to 400 discharges at up to 80% discharge.
I decided on the Odyessy battery after speaking with a sales rep at a military show. The Hawker brand is used in almost all Canadian military vehicles, and the Odyessy brand is essentially a commercial version of the Hawker battery. Both brands are part of Enersys, the largest battery manufacturer in the world.

EnerSys Home

EnerSys Tactical Vehicle Batteries

I'm there with you. I think I am going to go with costco's marine battery for my basic set up. the main reason, their price and 2 year warranty.

Yep, I've run a costco marine as my aux battery for a bunch of years now. I'm on the second one. They last 4 - 5 years which is good enough for the price. Don't need topping up much and have plenty of capacity to jump start yourself if the main fails (been there, done that...).

cheers,
george.

I went with the Interstate SRM-29. With 5 more minutes of reserve capacity and half the cost of a Diehard Platinum 31M I went with the value buy. Interstate has a great reputation and with a little trimming of the battery tray the 29 dropped right in.

So far no complaints.

Interstate Batteries

I'm in the same situation. I don't want to spend the money on a Optima or Die Hard. I narrowed it down to autozones marine deep cycle. Made by Johnson controlls. Although not to be confused with their "marine starting" the warranty is good and it's a chain so I can get it replaced if need be. It's also under $90. I heard the walmart ones were also very good except from what I read the warranty has changed on the larger group batterys.

I went with the Interstate SRM-29. With 5 more minutes of reserve capacity and half the cost of a Diehard Platinum 31M I went with the value buy. Interstate has a great reputation and with a little trimming of the battery tray the 29 dropped right in.

So far no complaints.

Interstate Batteries

I may try this one. I wasn't aware interstate did deep cycles. I get them at about half price through my work so I'll give it a go.

I may try this one. I wasn't aware interstate did deep cycles. I get them at about half price through my work so I'll give it a go.

Its a great battery. I remember when doing my install I looked and looked and different options, and bang for the buck, I couldn't make an argument for anything else.

I run an Optima blue top as my only battery, and have done so for years in many different rigs. The one I have now has been in my F350, 2 different Dodge 2500 12 valve Cummins trucks, and now it resides in my LX450. They are a great choice as you get the starting power, and the deep cycle standby power all without a dual battery set up...

I run an Optima blue top as my only battery, and have done so for years in many different rigs. The one I have now has been in my F350, 2 different Dodge 2500 12 valve Cummins trucks, and now it resides in my LX450. They are a great choice as you get the starting power, and the deep cycle standby power all without a dual battery set up...

I know many that have done this but i've always been told to not keep all my eggs in one basket when talking about a vehicle with lots of accessories.

Its a great battery. I remember when doing my install I looked and looked and different options, and bang for the buck, I couldn't make an argument for anything else.

Talked to the interstate rep for our retail stores here at work. Can get this thing for $68.... seems like a no brainer for me... now I just need a second battery tray from a 1fz model. :cheers:

Talked to the interstate rep for our retail stores here at work. Can get this thing for $68.... seems like a no brainer for me... now I just need a second battery tray from a 1fz model. :cheers:

WOW!

That's a smokin price! I'm going to replace my starting battery with an interstate here shortly. In the meantime I'm going to try and make friends with an interstate rep :hillbilly:

Your on the good end of the battery tray search, it took me months of scouring mud to find a FJ80 tray at a decent price. You have a dual battery system picked out? I went with just a plain vanilla 200amp solonoid and triggered it off the "alternator good" signal in the fuse box under the hood. Good luck with your setup!

WOW!

That's a smokin price! I'm going to replace my starting battery with an interstate here shortly. In the meantime I'm going to try and make friends with an interstate rep :hillbilly:

Your on the good end of the battery tray search, it took me months of scouring mud to find a FJ80 tray at a decent price. You have a dual battery system picked out? I went with just a plain vanilla 200amp solonoid and triggered it off the "alternator good" signal in the fuse box under the hood. Good luck with your setup!

Get a MTP65 if you want an interstate starting battery. 850cca.... don't know what they retail for but I know mines was dirt cheap.

Got a dual battery from a donor truck I just need to replace the solenoid as I think the one I have is bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom