Decal in Door Jam ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know what type of alteration this decal may be referring to?

here are the pics.

the altered VIN
80955147.jpg

and the 60
80955142.jpg

I have not seen this before.

what I find odd is the VIN #, all my 60 and 62's(I checked tonight) start with JT3FJ. I have not seen one that starts with JT4FJ

and I think mine are fj60G, at least the 62s are. Not fj60V the V is for hardtop or van(as in a fj40LV or 45LV. forget what G is.......its on the top of my head.

Very odd.

Need to get Dan to look at this.

John

VIN Details

VINs may be altered by the manufacturer. If three or less characters are altered they will be crossed (x) or ground out and the change stamped above or below the altered number. If more than three characters are altered the entire old number will be crossed (x) or ground out and the entire new number stamped above or below the old number.

VIN Correction: One of the following codes is required to be recorded on the application directly below the VIN :
Alteration Status Correction Code
Unaltered VIN.................................................................01
One character altered......................................................02
Two characters altered.....................................................03
Three characters altered...................................................04
More than three characters altered (VIN crossed out)..........05
More than three characters altered (VIN machined out)........06

That is all I could find on the internet

Last edited:
the carfax is fine and shows properly

they could have altered this label for something as simple as changing the GVWR. Lexus had this happen when the first 2003 GX 470s came out, they were listed as having 6100 GVWR, which puts it in the higher rating to get the huge tax write off. unfortunately, they weren't properly rated (they were only 6000 GVWR) and Lexus sent out new labels to affix to the inside doorjam on these units.

just my guess, probably a labelling error and not something too serious

6000lbs still makes the tax cut, 6000 and over :)

if not there will be a buttload of pissed off folks......I know 5-6 agents in town that bought them for that very reason.

hoping I can use m 45LV.....its exactly 6000GVWR

jjbodean1970 said:
the carfax is fine and shows properly

they could have altered this label for something as simple as changing the GVWR. Lexus had this happen when the first 2003 GX 470s came out, they were listed as having 6100 GVWR, which puts it in the higher rating to get the huge tax write off. unfortunately, they weren't properly rated (they were only 6000 GVWR) and Lexus sent out new labels to affix to the inside doorjam on these units.

just my guess, probably a labelling error and not something too serious

ok, john, so i'm not real good with the numbers tonight! :flipoff2:

the way i understood it is it has to "exceed" 6000 GVWR, but the first run of 2003 GX 470 were actually about 15 lbs off, so in the middle of the model year Lexus bolted some crap onto them and got them re-tested to be in compliance. they had the units that had anlready been distributed but were still on dealers lots re-labeled, and customers who bought the mis-labeled units got letters in the mail to go back to the dealer so they could put the new label on, plus a free cleanup, tank of gas, foot massage, etc.... customers who thought they were getting the tax credit and ended up not getting it because of Lexus' goof had some hefty checks mailed to them by Lexus that year.

anyway, this was a BIG deal for Lexus and they ended up re-labelling a bunch of 2003 GX 470s and sending out some "straight cash, homey" as our friend Randy Moss would say

Came in thru Houston...

Probably added A/C, if you have a York compressor, they added non-factory air to it. That's about the only thing I can think of, GVW wasn't an issue I'm aware of re: the 87 model. Maybe it's those rims..... :D

duhhhhhh, why not call up Gulf States Toyota directly, explain the strange tag, give them the VIN#, and ask them to check their records for details? :confused:

just curious,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

VIN on 87 FJ60

Hmmmm....I wonder what it means - on my 87 FJ60 it starts with JT4FJ....

CardinalFJ60

60 or 62?

The side view mirrors say 62, the round headlights say 60????? Whats up?

I saw that also, but I assume it was a mod done by the owner as in 87 those mirrors were not on the market.......I don't think even on non US 60's.

jjbodean1970 said:
it's a 60 that they put 62 mirrors on is my guess....

Okay guys. A weekend hiatus from internet access but I have been eagerly awaiting insight on this mystery.
1. Yes the side view mirrors were put on about 8 years ago as an upgrade.
2. The original VIN# and VIN tag shows nothing different so the decal was not installed as a correction.

I'll try contacting Gulf States and get their version. Any other ideas?

Pimp: Thanks for posting the pictures.

I'll check the ac tonight. I can tell you this, the ac jams! I can be in 100 degree weather, turn the ac on (while it cools down the masses of hot air in the cab) and then I have to turn it down because it gets so cold.

dogboy2 said:
duhhhhhh, why not call up Gulf States Toyota directly, explain the strange tag, give them the VIN#, and ask them to check their records for details? :confused:

just curious,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Finally got a live person at Gulf States. They do not have records that date that far back (nice). So the nice lady (sorry no pictures) was going to ask around to see if they can make sense of what the typical upgrade may have been back in Feb '87. Apparently there are still quite a few folks there who were around back then. If nothing else, I can get the list of alterations and narrow it down.

Based on the responses thus far, sounds like no one else has this decal? (on an FJ60 at least)

JT3: being a utility vehicle

JT4: being an "incomplete" vehicle.

JT3FJ60G is a "WGG" body 08-80 to 08-87

JT4FJ60V is a "WGV" body 09-86 to 08-87

I do not know specifically what would have been "left off" to make it an incomplete vehicle but it would not have been A/C.

In the mid to late 80's 4Runners came in as "complete" vehicles (JT3) with a rear seat installed and as "incomplete" vehicles (JT4) without a rear seat, just a cargo floor. Some were sold that way but the majority were fitted with after-market seats of one variety or the other. The reason they were imported in two configurations was to get around the passenger vehicle quota restrictions. The "3's" were passenger vehicles and the "4's" were counted as trucks which did not have a quota but did have a stiffer tariff attached.

I can't see the hosted pics from work cuz they are from a "pimp" :D and our internet police have it blocked. I will look at home. I bet GST ordered them without something and stuck their own something in them when they arrived. It may even have been a back seat.

D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom