Death Valley - Racetrack - Ubehebe Loop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.markkuz.com
I have a trip planned with some buddies over Turkey Day weekend.

I want to visit the Racetrack this trip and we have rooms in Paninint valley so we are not camping this trip. And I want to see if the full loop leaving early from Panamint and getting back in that night to Panamint is doable obviously without mechanical issues.

The south pass road is super washboard and the turnoff to the track is rough as well. Its doable in a day for sure but its going to be a long day.

Yes, very doable and not a big deal. Should be a great time to do it as well.

Post up pics, dude!

Lippincott road was washed out a while back, but is reported to be passable with a capable truck.

I have also been thinking of just turning back at Racetrack and going back out the way we came could make for a shorter day depending on how the trip was coming in. Because the rest of the route is basically a relentless washboard with tourist in Subaru’s with a stop at teakettle Junction and Ubehebe crater.

Rather than turn around,, why not go out though Hidden Valley and over Hunter Mountain? I agree the road between Ubehebe and the Racetrack is a washboard pain. Where as Hidden valley feels very remote, and the Hunter traverse is unexpected terrain for Death Valley. And it drops you right at the top of South Pass and an easy dirt cruise back to Panamint.

Agree, up Lippencott, then loop back thru Hidden Valley and Hunter Mtn. We’ll be making our way thru Saline Valley a couple days before Thanksgiving, heading South.

Ordered a new map for the trip because I am too cheap to have GPS although I came close to bidding on a new Lowrance Elite 7 TI unit.

Anyway I just want to recommend this map.
Death Valley National Park Recreation Map (Tom Harrison Maps)

Stop at the hot springs for the hippy chicks :grinpimp: Saline road wasnt too bad when I was there in March.

FYI, Saline hot springs a ‘mad house’ Wednesday and Thursday of Thanksgiving but it clears out pretty quick on Saturday.

Looks a storm is heading in. Hunter Mt. road can get icy and treacherous. Be careful and carry chains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom