Death Valley - Racetrack - Ubehebe Loop

Bluetribal

SILVER Star

I have a trip planned with some buddies over Turkey Day weekend.

I want to visit the Racetrack this trip and we have rooms in Paninint valley so we are not camping this trip. And I want to see if the full loop leaving early from Panamint and getting back in that night to Panamint is doable obviously without mechanical issues.

Bluetribal

SILVER Star

I plan on running it from Saline Valley Rd., up Lippincott Pass to Racetrack and then onto Ubehebe Crater and back out on pavement. Figure doing the hard stuff first.

Bluetribal

SILVER Star

Our group did Poison Spider, Golden Bar, and Golden Rim in 10 hours back in March out at Moab so we can handle long days.

Bluetribal

SILVER Star

We have a trip down to Bahia De Los Angeles in Baja first in a couple of weeks to get us warmed up for Death Valley.

Bluetribal

SILVER Star

I have also been thinking of just turning back at Racetrack and going back out the way we came could make for a shorter day depending on how the trip was coming in. Because the rest of the route is basically a relentless washboard with tourist in Subaru’s with a stop at teakettle Junction and Ubehebe crater.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
SILVER Star

Rather than turn around,, why not go out though Hidden Valley and over Hunter Mountain? I agree the road between Ubehebe and the Racetrack is a washboard pain. Where as Hidden valley feels very remote, and the Hunter traverse is unexpected terrain for Death Valley. And it drops you right at the top of South Pass and an easy dirt cruise back to Panamint.

Bluetribal

SILVER Star

Yeah, you have to go out to Teakettle Junction and turn to go to Hunter Mountain right?

Agree, up Lippencott, then loop back thru Hidden Valley and Hunter Mtn. We’ll be making our way thru Saline Valley a couple days before Thanksgiving, heading South.

Bluetribal

SILVER Star

Ordered a new map for the trip because I am too cheap to have GPS although I came close to bidding on a new Lowrance Elite 7 TI unit.

Anyway I just want to recommend this map.
Death Valley National Park Recreation Map (Tom Harrison Maps)

Bluetribal

SILVER Star

Thanks for the heads up. Giving the GX the once over this weekend to make sure it’s all dialed in.

Top Bottom