Death of a Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, glad you're okay Marde. Remind you husband that he's a lucky guy. He has a cruiser chick with a good head on her shoulders.:cool:

I will remind him!!! Of course, I am pretty sure he won't forget it for quite a while!

Wow, glad you're okay Marde. Remind you husband that he's a lucky guy. He has a cruiser chick with a good head on her shoulders.:cool:

I'm bad with names but that's one thing I'll never forget! I'm very lucky in many ways.

Marde,

The side glass is made of tempered safety glass in conformance with a Federal safety standard. The glass is under tension, which is why sometimes it makes a "pop" or bang sound when it is broken in a quiet setting. The glass is designed to break into small, roughly square fracture lines to avoid the long pointy shards that do so much damage with traditional glass. This type of glass is used in the LandCruiser's side windows, rear hatch glass, outside mirrors, sunroof and interior mirror.

The windshield is a type of glass known as laminated. It is a sandwich of outer safety glass, a stretchy clear plastic, and an inner safety glass. In a collision, it is designed to remain in place and help stop or slow down road objects. The plastic layer distorts and stretches, absorbing energy and slowing stuff down. That's one of the reasons you'll hear myself and others reminding people who have windshields replaced in their 80s to be sure the installer correctly glues the glass to the rubber seal, AND the rubber seal to the body. Glass installers like to skip this step and hop off to their next appointment. People die because of that laziness.

I'm glad to hear you came through this intact, and yes the 80 is a structural beast that figured heavily in that result. The $300 in extra fuel you pay for each year just came home to roost in preventing some serious and perhaps permanently debilitating injuries. What a great investment!

Regards,

DougM

The 80 does many things well but, protecting it's occupants is what it does best, I think. After reading this thread I think 3 things stand clear.

1. I'm so glad to see that you are healthy and able to tell the story for others to benefit.

2. It amazes me to see and read about the engineering (as Doug gives us knowledge) of our remarkable 80 series rigs.

3. As much as I see on this forum how 80's get modified and stripped down for off road, I think they are one of the best family, all purpose rigs ever built. I'm glad that I've kept mine stock, except for the armor. Hopefully it will enhance it's occupant's survivability, if it's ever challenged in a similar manner.

Best wishes for a complete recovery!!! :cheers:

Marde,

The side glass is made of tempered safety glass in conformance with a Federal safety standard. The glass is under tension, which is why sometimes it makes a "pop" or bang sound when it is broken in a quiet setting. The glass is designed to break into small, roughly square fracture lines to avoid the long pointy shards that do so much damage with traditional glass. This type of glass is used in the LandCruiser's side windows, rear hatch glass, outside mirrors, sunroof and interior mirror.

The windshield is a type of glass known as laminated. It is a sandwich of outer safety glass, a stretchy clear plastic, and an inner safety glass. In a collision, it is designed to remain in place and help stop or slow down road objects. The plastic layer distorts and stretches, absorbing energy and slowing stuff down. That's one of the reasons you'll hear myself and others reminding people who have windshields replaced in their 80s to be sure the installer correctly glues the glass to the rubber seal, AND the rubber seal to the body. Glass installers like to skip this step and hop off to their next appointment. People die because of that laziness.

I'm glad to hear you came through this intact, and yes the 80 is a structural beast that figured heavily in that result. The $300 in extra fuel you pay for each year just came home to roost in preventing some serious and perhaps permanently debilitating injuries. What a great investment!

Regards,

DougM

Doug,

That is very good information on the glass. In fact, I do remember that when I had my windshield replaced, I verified that they glued the window like you said. So, thanks to you, I did some life saving in advance several years ago!!

As for the extra gas, I have told the guys I work with many, many times that I would much rather spend extra on gas and know I was protected in a wreck. They always teased me about driving the gas guzzling land tank. I am pretty sure their opinions changed when they saw the pictures of my wreck.

Here is the first picture they saw of it at the scene of the accident.
image-1412097762.jpg

Hope you get all better.

Thanks. I am planning on a full recovery. I am also looking forward to the hunt for another Land Cruiser!

Marde,
Glad your cruiser kept you safe. God speed on your healing journey.
CAS

And this is the very reason my wife only drives an FZJ80 / FJ62 / or her 3/4 ton truck. I myself was in a head on a couple years ago in a 87 FJ60 and i walked away with a bruised knee. Glad to hear you should be good as new here one day soon. Hopefully your next one will be another 80.

And this is the very reason my wife only drives an FZJ80 / FJ62 / or her 3/4 ton truck. I myself was in a head on a couple years ago in a 87 FJ60 and i walked away with a bruised knee. Glad to hear you should be good as new here one day soon. Hopefully your next one will be another 80.

Smart family! I have always said I did not buy my truck for fuel economy. I bought it for protection!! And for other cool stuff like transporting camping gear and mountain bikes to remote areas or taking all the kids and their cousins to play and many other very fun activities!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom