Death of a Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck is officially dead. She died a noble death, doing her best to protect her loving owner.

Bare with me while I gather my senses and try to put this story down black and white. My day started out normal. Awake at 4 am in order to be at work by 5:30. I left the house a little early so I could grab a hot breakfast and some lunch for later in my 12 hour shift.

I am almost done with my 33 mile commute. Less than three miles to go. In a split second, I see headlights crossing the turn lane and heading for me. I have no time to react. My foot is still in the accellerator when we hit! I have just been hit head on!

My 80 stops not far from impact. It is turned sideways in the outside lane with my rear taking some of the shoulder and the front of my truck in the inside lane. I quickly take an inventory. The truck is not running. The driver's side window is gone, with most of the glass being on me. I can see the windshield is shattered, and I see part of the hood. As for me, I am ok. My right foot hurts like Hades, but the rest of me is awesome! A man runs up to check on me. Poor guy. He avoided the wreck, but he is still scared, so scared that he has no clue where he is at and can not give important information to 911. So i have to calm him down and help him give the information to 911. All of a sudden I hear tires squealing. Someone has not been paying attention and tries to pass all the parked vehicles. The guy calling 911 starts running toward the shoulder. I am yelling at him to run to the front of my truck so this idiot does not hit him.

At this point, I want out of my truck. I survived a head on, but I might not survive the next hit. I have got my seat back and I am heading towards the only door that still works--the rear hatch. Broken foot or not, I am getting out. Thankfully, the first responders showed up then. There is nothing more comforting than knowing you have got a huge ladder truck protecting you!

I quickly call my job. "Hey. I won't be there today. I probably won't be there for a while. I just got in a head on collision on Eastman Rd. Go ahead and get my FMLA paperwork started," I say.

Then I call my husband. I know he is up because my kids have a cross country meet. After the meet, they are heading to a weekend of mountain bike racing. Or at least, they were. "Chris. I have been hit. I am on Eastman Rd. I am ok. I gotta go. They are cutting me out." That is when it reality hit for my husband. He says I was very calm. He had no idea how bad it was until I mentioned being cut out.

Meanwhile, the first responders are amazed. They can see a huge debris field from the accident. I am sure they expected a badly mangled unconscious person in that Land Cruiser. Here I am bragging about my truck and cracking jokes. Several different guys mention how well my truck held up AND protected me. At this time, I don't know the severity of the damage.

They get me out and headed to the hospital. Chris makes almost to the accident scene. They have got the whole road closed off, and it is a big wide road. I bet people were frustrated that they had to take a detour. I do remember telling Chris to not let the kids see the truck, because it was bad. NO problem. They were never close enough to see it.

I get to the ER. My family shows up. I am happy to be alive, but I am not happy about the X-rays. Those hurt! I leave the hospital four hours later with three stitches in my knee, a few scrapes and bruises, and a shattered calcaneus (heel). The impact was so great that it broke my solid front axle. It lines up perfectly with what is left of the floorboard where my feet where.

So, what about the other guy, you ask? The officer that came to check on me said he was intoxicated, and not protected nearly as well as me. He was charged with Vehicular Assault, a third degree felony. He already had a long list of arrests for public intoxication AND DUIs. It seems this guy is far from a model citizen.

As for me, I have a long road to full recovery. It seems that heel bone is pretty important. The first doctor I saw said i would never run or cycle again. She even hinted that I could lose my foot. Needless to say, I found another doctor! This doctor had a goal to have me doing everything I was doing before this drunk ran into me. After a five hour surgery and two nights in the hospital, I am now on full bed rest with my foot elevated above my heart. Bed rest sucks, but I am alive to fuss about it.

I am proud to tell everyone that I survived a high speed head on collision.

RIP, my faithful FZJ80. We have many wonderful memories of you.

:eek: Glad you are ok. These stories all ways make me shiver a bit. God speed with the recovery.

Sorry for your cruiser but glad you're ok. Cars are replaceable people are not. You can always get another 80. Get well soon.

Glad you're ok.It sucks that your LC is "dead"but you are OK!!!!! someone was watching over you.Stay strong,Stay focus on recovery. :cheers:

Holy smokes! That is a dead landcruiser but you are a live Mudder and you'll have plenty of time for more cruiser adventures. I had a similar experience and injury and all I can say is, be patient and be thankful because not everyone gets to limp away like we did. Speedy recovery to you!

What a story. So glad you are OK. Whatever the statisticians say about a sedan being safer than something like our LCs goes out the door in something like a head-on. The Cruiser's excellent construction and quality certainly kept you from more injuries. Best hopes for a quick recovery!

Thanks, guys. I am kinda looking forward to all the time off from work with full pay. I am very blessed!

those photos speak volumes for the land cruisers! im glad your ok! if that had been any other car- you might not be around to type such information...

I am VERY glad you were in your 80. No compact sedans for this family.

I have probably six to eight months before I will be able to drive again. I should have plenty of time to find the perfect 80. Meanwhile, I will have plenty of down time to look at all the cool photos I have taken of the many marvelous places my 80 has taken my family!!!

Heck. I might even figure out how to post pictures on Mud again!

I am VERY glad you were in your 80. No compact sedans for this family.

Hey! I think you kinda like me.

I also bet you are glad I did not wreck another one of "your" trucks!:p

Wow. You are one tough level-headed individual. Very glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.

Mahalos 4 your story. Best wishes to a speedy recovery. You can always replace your 80. Walking away from another persons stupidity and watching your kids grow=PRICELESS!

Sent from my hawn finga using IH8MUD

Nice to hear about how people keep their heads when facing a crisis situation. You performed well!

Now that the thoroughly destroyed land cruiser pics have been posted, I would break out the stopwatch to see how long it takes the mud vultures to start circling around your sun visors, flares, etc lol.

Congrats on surviving and keeping your cool when the SHTF. Recover quickly!

Wow. You are one tough level-headed individual. Very glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.

My husband might argue about the "level headed" part.;)

Thanks, guys. I am kinda looking forward to all the time off from work with full pay. I am very blessed!

God speed on your recovery... Glad you are OK.... Cruiser did her job well.

PS...how fast was he traveling??? Broken axle is amazing

Mahalos 4 your story. Best wishes to a speedy recovery. You can always replace your 80. Walking away from another persons stupidity and watching your kids grow=PRICELESS!

Sent from my hawn finga using IH8MUD

How right you are. I get to hug my family!

Nice to hear about how people keep their heads when facing a crisis situation. You performed well!

Now that the thoroughly destroyed land cruiser pics have been posted, I would break out the stopwatch to see how long it takes the mud vultures to start circling around your sun visors, flares, etc lol.

Congrats on surviving and keeping your cool when the SHTF. Recover quickly!

I think the mud vultures will be very disappointed. When we went to see the truck, the wrecker driver commented that it took him three hours to clean up a debris field of 250 yards! That is a lot of pieces of vehicles. My truck was the only truck he could put stuff in. The Honda CRV that hit me was a rolled up piece of metal. Needless to say, all the trash, oil dry, glass, sheet metal, road sweep, and beer cans ended up in my truck. Anything that might have survived is now trashed because of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom