Dealers getting desperate, maybe a sign of what's to come in the post 200 world? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Like JohnJB said, it's a mechanical function of their CRM. A dealer can even make money off a 2018 Jeep if they buy it cheap enough and find someone dumb enough to buy a Jeep.

@Eric Sarjeant any insight on what’s going on here from an expert? Just creating leads for new car sales by offering to take a trade-in?
No doubt it’s a CRM template blast marketing push. But also, it’s real too. Used cars are “gold” right now. New car/truck inventory is at an all-time low, used car prices are going through the roof. I paid 3k off MSRP on a Wrangler yesterday. Didn’t feel comfortable retailing, so I called wholesalers and sold it for MSRP. We’re in a bubble right now and it’s going to pop once new car manufacturing catches up. With oil refineries getting sucker punched in TX and the chip shortages we are hurting. Just like houses, gun, watches, and many other industries, the bubble will pop eventually. This is 100% a sellers market.

I bought a 2014 Lexus LX new for $12k off of MSRP. Gas was over $4/gallon and the dealer couldn't give it away. I drove it for 14 months and 22k miles but never connected with it. I got one of those flyers so checked in with the Lexus dealer i bought it from. Gas prices were now back around $2.50 and people wanted big SUVs. They gave me a cash offer that was less than $1000 difference from what i paid new (not counting sales tax). I sold it immediately then bought my new 2015 LC. Worked out great.

A dealer offered me $80,000 for my 2020 with 8,000 miles on it. That’s more than I paid for it new.

They offered a straight trade for a new 2020 GSF. I thought about it......for a second and politely declined.

I got that. I emailed them back and asked for a new land cruiser with the same payment and interest.... they said they can do same payment and interest.... but only for a highlander. I stayed very quiet until they hung up on me.

The local toyota dealer is also a FCA dealer. Yesterday I sold them my 2012 ram 3500 outright for $3,000 less than I bought it for 2.5 years ago. They were saying that the used market is insane right now, and are running out of cars to sell due to the manufacturing slowdown.

The local toyota dealer is also a FCA dealer. Yesterday I sold them my 2012 ram 3500 outright for $3,000 less than I bought it for 2.5 years ago. They were saying that the used market is insane right now, and are running out of cars to sell due to the manufacturing slowdown.
Damn! That is insane!

I'm guessing you had a Ram 3500 4x4 6.7L Cummins with the Aisin trans, in Megacab Laramie trim? And low mileage, as in under 100k miles?

Used to be you could pick up 3 yr old 75k mile 1/2 tons and 3/4 ton gas trucks for about 50% MSRP new, but now they still want like $5-8k less than most people paid for them new (after all the dealer discounts).

I just wonder whether insurance payouts are reflecting the insane used car prices.

Damn! That is insane!

I'm guessing you had a Ram 3500 4x4 6.7L Cummins with the Aisin trans, in Megacab Laramie trim? And low mileage, as in under 100k miles?

Used to be you could pick up 3 yr old 75k mile 1/2 tons and 3/4 ton gas trucks for about 50% MSRP new, but now they still want like $5-8k less than most people paid for them new (after all the dealer discounts).
3500 ST CCLB 4x4 6.7, FCA trans, 106k. They listed the truck for 4K more than I paid for it 2.5 years ago.

The $111k one has a wrap on it but all of these have been sitting at least since the new year. I suspect they'll get at least most of the asking eventually.

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 10.53.31 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom