Dead spindle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm currently working on the front axle out of my 83 pickup. One of the knuckle balls has some discoloration and just some very light marring. Its been suggested to use JB weld to smooth those out. However the spindle from that same side has some knicks in it. Do you guys think I can just smooth out the ruff edges and run it?

That's where the outer bearing sits. I would at least try to smooth it with a file and see if the bearing fits. First time you've seen this on your truck? Only discovered during disassembly I presume?

That spindle may have already been "staked" to keep that race from spinning.
There's really no other reason for that damage.

How does the outer bearing sit on the spindle? The knuckle ball I would hit with a wire wheel on a grinder. Seems every neglected knuckle I've looked at was a little rusty.

(If you decide to replace the spindle I have a spare. PM me.)

First time you've seen this on your truck? Only discovered during disassembly I presume?

New to me rig, also first time rebuilding a solid axle. Exactly right, I didn't notice it until the spindle was off and turned over.

That spindle may have already been "staked" to keep that race from spinning.
There's really no other reason for that damage.

What would be the reason to "stake" it?

How does the outer bearing sit on the spindle? The knuckle ball I would hit with a wire wheel on a grinder. Seems every neglected knuckle I've looked at was a little rusty.

(If you decide to replace the spindle I have a spare. PM me.)

I tossed the old bearing because I have a complete rebuild kit. From what I noticed it was actually in fairly good condition. I'll see how the new one sits. I'll definitely keep that in mind Pappy.

You do want the knuckle ball to be smooth or it will tear up the seal and leak. I used POR-15 on the last front axle that I rebuilt, but if the gouges & pits had been deeper I'd have used a repair putty (Devcon or J-B) to build up the surface. I then sanded them smooth with emery cloth ( McMaster-Carr ) working hard to make them smooth, round, and as close to the same "diameter" everywhere as I could.

I'm betting that a bearing spun on that spindle and seized to it. That is why the damage that it has. To me that spindle is past done. Time for a better one. These are big bearings, don't be afraid to put some pre-load in them. Adjust them like a passenger car front wheel bearing and you'll spin the bearing just like the last guy did.

I noticed that the axle nuts were barely finger tight on both sides, so I'm thinking they were just spun on and left that way. I don't get a lot of garage time and this is a complete tear down

Thanks to @pappy I've got a replacement spindle so work could continue on this. I've got it all torn down, wire wheeled and painted
IMG_0496.jpg

However when I went to reinstall the trunnion bearings it appears they are larger than the ones that came out.

Old left, new right
IMG_0503.jpg

This is how it looks fully seated
IMG_0498.jpg

Old bearing Koyo TR0305A
IMG_0502.jpg

New bearing from Marlin kit - Nachi 30303J
IMG_0500.jpg

Did I get sent the wrong bearing?

Could you elaborate? They clearly stand out taller than the ones that were in there. Again I have very little history on what has been done with this axle, and this is my first axle rebuild so I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I would appreciate it.

Could you elaborate? They clearly stand out taller than the ones that were in there. Again I have very little history on what has been done with this axle, and this is my first axle rebuild so I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I would appreciate it.

The one that was in there was incorrect. Should be a 30303.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom