Dayton area rust prevention shop for 01 LX without current rust issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ramangain

Clarksonian disciple
Threads
I relocated to Dayton recently (hi!) and brought my 01 LX. The car does not have any rust issues, and I want to keep it that way.

Normally I'd tackle this myself, but due to the already nasty/cold weather, I'm willing to pay a shop (or qualified individual on here) to apply a rust prevention solution to the undercarriage.

I've had recommendations of Fluid Film or New Hampshire Oil Undercoating, and I'm ambivalent to either choice as long as it does the job. I also understand this is a yearly requirement, usually re-applied in the fall months.

If an individual wants to tackle the job, I'd prefer him/her to tutor me on the job so I can tackle the job myself next time. I will supply the materials and I'll pay a fair labor rate. There are probably small spot areas where surface rust has popped up, and I'm willing to pay to get those removed and treated as well. I do not want rust to cause issues since the current market for these rigs, especially rust-free and in this area, has skyrocketed recently.

Thanks in advance.

I went and used Freedom Undercoating this last time I just follow them on Facebook. They are more up in the Akron Canton area usually, but they are mobile. I think I have seen them as far south as Mansfield. I think it was $120 and they did a great job with Fluid Film in just a matter of minutes. Worth the drive if you ask me. I went from Columbus up to Canton to have mine done in November last year.

No amount of spray cans will probably equal what these guys blast into and on the undercarriage with their sprayers. They go nuts with the stuff.

So it appears I've officially entered the Winter Beater part of the country? New experience for me.

Because of the road conditions, do folks seek out and pay a premium for aluminum-bodied vehicles?

So it appears I've officially entered the Winter Beater part of the country? New experience for me.

Because of the road conditions, do folks seek out and pay a premium for aluminum-bodied vehicles?
Aluminum is ok but as you’ll soon see, the brine gets into the engine compartment, doors, frame, everywhere. I’ll be looking for a lower mileage econobox from anywhere but the rust belt to save my sequoia from rusting away.

No aluminum wont matter if the frame and all rusts out.

You will be fine if you pay attention, fluid film, and wash the undercarrage enough. If Jdc is up in Akron, its about 100 times worse than Dayton or even Cbus. Yeah they use salt and brine everywhere in Ohio, but with all the lake effect snow NE Ohio gets, it is far more constant up there. So unless you are driving all over, all the time, a second vehicle may very well be overkill.

You will be fine if you pay attention, fluid film, and wash the undercarrage enough. If Jdc is up in Akron, its about 100 times worse than Dayton or even Cbus. Yeah they use salt and brine everywhere in Ohio, but with all the lake effect snow NE Ohio gets, it is far more constant up there. So unless you are driving all over, all the time, a second vehicle may very well be overkill.
It’s horrendous up this way. They start in October and load the roads up and I can still see where they applied into April. I use a subscription to the car wash and any time I drive past it, run the cars through.

Good to know, thx. If my rig already had some cancer, I'd use it as the beater at this point and pick up a "more fun" warmer-weather vehicle.

Is anyone local actually trying to find and buy rust-free Hundy, perhaps? It has served me well during the last few years while my life was put on hold to help with parental care and shuttling across the country with a big enclosed trailer, but those days are now over. The rig is currently overkill for my current needs.

@ramangain there is a Land Cruiser shop, Specialty 4WD in Northern KY, they do (or did?) Fluid Film applications. Owner is Luke Bogner, I forget his Mud handle, but he is a good guy and worked on my 80 in the past.

Another option is get a monthly pass to one of the local car washes and hit it every few days to keep it clean.

Last edited:
Another option is get a monthly pass to one of the local car washes and hit it every few days to keep it clean.
I decided on this approach yesterday. There is an automated car wash across the corner from Costco. Signed up and will use it vigorously.

I decided on this approach yesterday. There is an automated car wash across the corner from Costco. Signed up and will use it vigorously.
I need to do the same. Is it the one behind Freddy's?

I need to do the same. Is it the one behind Freddy's?
Right beside it. I do a lot of my shopping at Costco, especially fresh weekly fruits and veggies. There are closer car wash locations, but none as convenient for me.

Right beside it. I do a lot of my shopping at Costco, especially fresh weekly fruits and veggies. There are closer car wash locations, but none as convenient for me.
Yes. That is one of my go-to wash spots as well. They have a good monthly package price.

Rust prevention Friday
F7EF27D0-6789-4CB5-962D-464D2361CEF8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom