Dash Lights Up and Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a used 2001 this week, my first. Test drove it for an hour checked it out then jumped all in. Today, while driving around town at low speeds, on 3 occasions 4 lights came on the dash and a buzzer sounded. It also sounded like something was trying to engage. I immediately braked and put it in park and it went away. I haven't been able to recreate it. I am thinking my right knee may have hit the differential button, I am 6'5". Each time I was probably going less than 20 mph. I am having the whole rig looked over tomorrow. Any thoughts on what that could be? Does it sound like I am accidentally hitting that button and need to be careful? Thanks for the help!

You most likely have a bad pump motor on your brake booster. I would say the previous owner knew that and that is probably why they sold it. The repair is very costly especially if buy new OEM one.

The buzzer is telling you that you are about to loose all brake pressure.

This link should give you some information.

ABS Booster Pump - Repair or Replace? Part Sources? Rebuild in DFW, TX

You most likely have a bad pump motor on your brake booster. I would say the previous owner knew that and that is probably why they sold it. The repair is very costly especially if buy new OEM one.

Thank you for the information. I'm going to ask the mechanic to check into that today.

Another question, will this produce a "code" that the mechanic can refer to, to diagnose this as the issue? I don't want to go down this path unless it is confirmed. I just haven't been able to reproduce it consistently.

If it store a code it would be probably would PO559 or PO557.

It will only give you buzzer and lights when the booster brake pressure gets low. The more you push the brake pedal like in city driving the faster the pressure will drop. So it is possible a drive on the highway may not reproduce the issue.

When the booster/ pump motor cannot keep up the pressure demand it triggers the lights and buzzer. This is telling you that you probably only have about 5 braking actions left before it loosing all of the pressure and brakes unless it can build up pressure again.

If the pump/motor is still running and weak it can build pressure back up if you stop and put it in park.

This is a very common problem in higher mileage 100’s and unfortunately why some people sell or trade them in.

The good news is if this is your problem and it is properly repaired or replaced you should be good for another 15 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom