Dash Bar? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What’s a “dash bar?”

I looked around for one a couple years ago and was unsuccessful. Maybe there is one on the market now?

Spans across the dash for things like RAM mounts/etc. Common in the Jeep world and have seen them in Tacos, Runners and Raptors.

Love my RAM mounts using the grab handle idea I copied from you (Matt) but ot does have its limitations.

Would love a bar as well.

IMG_1588.jpeg
IMG_1589.jpeg
IMG_1590.jpeg

That looks clean.
Can you provide info on the exact rail product and attachments used?
Its a RAM Tough Track RAM-TRACK-EXA-9BU. You have to take off the ends (which are worthless for mounting). I tried the shorter one, but the once you net out the worthless end sections that you can't mount to, you are left with like 3" of rail. Hardware is #8 (3/4" L, I think) and fender washers and lock nuts. Also, since there is a slight curvature to the grille, I put neoprene washers between the rail and the grille at the outermost bolt hole so it could be cinched without distorting the grille. Good luck - it's easy to do though.

What would/could break?
The plastic piece the rough track is taped to could potentially crack if there's enough torque on it from the various items that are attached to it. Yes, it's probably pretty unlikely, but that piece of plastic is part of the infotainment display assembly, which would cost thousands to replace if it were to break. I would much rather have to replace the speaker grill trim cover if something were to break and do prefer the option to bolt things together rather than using double sided sticky tape.

Last edited:
The plastic piece the rough track is taped to could potentially crack if there's enough torque on it from the various items that are attached to it. Yes, it's probably pretty unlikely, but that piece of plastic is part of the infotainment display assembly, which would cost thousands to replace if it were to break. I would much rather have to replace the speaker grill trim cover if something were to break and do prefer the option to bolt things together ran than using double sided sticky tape.

I’m sure you’re correct about the expense involved, but the likelihood of the plastic cracking is probably less than that of dying in a wreck in your LC. 😂

If something were to break, it would be a LOT less expensive to replace the cover than the display unit (that part is $$$).
Yes, when I was looking into it the speaker grille cover was $85 (probably less if I poked around). Also, by mounting further back on the dash, I am able to insert small foam blocks under the clamp arms to mitigate any shaking when off road. Using the forward mounting point of the head unit bezel (I was going to drill that too) leaves no ledge for additional support when needed. There are no wrong answers and only one right one - Toyota needs to make a CarPlay and Gaia compatible head unit.

The plastic piece the rough track is taped to could potentially crack if there's enough torque on it from the various items that are attached to it. Yes, it's probably pretty unlikely, but that piece of plastic is part of the infotainment display assembly, which would cost thousands to replace if it were to break. I would much rather have to replace the speaker grill trim cover if something were to break and do prefer the option to bolt things together ran than using double sided sticky tape.

I'd agree with this. I'm sure it's fine day to day and maybe with slow wheeling & rock crawling. But if you're on miles and miles of rough corrugated roads I could see how this could cause stress cracks over time that develop into a large full one. Especially with devices being held over a cantilever mount like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom