Darasick's Build/Rebuild Thread... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Doable I just want to follow you without tearing up my junk!

ya you will be waiting after you cover the obstacle to take the pics:)

We need an update. Is the 80 ready for SCC?

Haha, I have had the case apart more times than I can remember nor would like to mention since the last update. FWIW, the rear extension housing cannot sustain a fall from 36" onto concrete. Coincidently, I had a test drive in her last night and everything seems to be functioning properly. These low range gear set is L-O-W.

With that being said, I have the hubs rebuilt with RCV's 300m hub gears and I need to throw those on. Other than that I have an air leak in the OBA I still need to address and then I can leave for SCC. Ideally I would overhaul the exhaust and tuck up the cat protection before we go, but I don't see the time or the funds in that near of future.

Mike, I have collected more parts for the lamp through the tcase rebuild. So the plan is to have all components from the LC except the light and wiring. It'll be my own carnage award an should be finished before SCC.

Got the hubs installed and front diff leak patched up. Went through and retorqued every bolt on the front end. This and the sombrero is the only chrome I want on this thing...

image.jpg

I ordered some 2.5" mandrel bends to route the exhaust over the frame and will attempt to tuck up the cats next weekend. The wife will be out of town with the crumb eater, so hopefully I can get it knocked out. If time allows I may start hacking up the front bumper to get a some more clearance as well.

I tried to troubleshoot the air leak with no success. Everything has been covered in windex to expose the leak, but still nothing. I think my check valve may be leaking back into the piston head. I wish they had cable lockers for these wagons, bc I hate air systems more and more each day.

my air works fine :)

but no external then must be da valve. remove it from comp use shop air with a rubber nose blow gun air it up should be Lawrence Welk.;)

Nice to see that you got the repairs done and will be ready for the crawl. Finally one rig that will not get worked on the night before the event run :) Less than two weeks away now !

Don't count me out yet for a last minute modification.

I've subscribed to this thread for ideas.... For something...

Thanks for bumping this, it reminded me to update my "last minute mods" before SCC 2014. I ran the exhaust over the frame and clearanced the cat protection on the slider. I bought mandrel bent 45, 180 degree piece on eBay for ~$30. I used all of the bends and could've used another 45I'm going to redo this exhaust routing soon, cutting back to one cat and going over the frame where there is more room. Not having that cat protection hang up all day was an extremely nice change.
image.jpg image.jpg
Here's the before and I'll get an after shot when we get back home next week
image.jpg

Looks good.

Did you notice a difference in heat?

I am sure that it is not much hotter since you already had the heat liner in cab floorboard.

I did notice more heat. I put an additional layer of insulation on the floorboard. Once I go to a single cat, it will go over the same place that it does on the earlier models. At that point I'll use the factory heat guard that they used.

A few shots courtesy of Joel @4WD Toyota Owner Magazine. First 3 are from Four Fingers and the last one is from Ravine or Gorge I can't remember.
4WDTO-11bl.jpg
4WDTO-13bl.jpg
4WDTO-14bl.jpg
4WDTO-5.jpg

Great pics, I need to shoot him a message to see what he has of our group. He rode with us several times over the weekend and I'm sure got some good shots :) I enjoyed visiting with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom