Dang, tires are tough... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
geez, decided to remove a bad old tire myself to paint the (steel) rim. Probably 15 years old, never removed. Our kind of truck size. Left it in the sun. First had to struggle to break the bead, had to use a HiLift. Not as easy as I assumed. Was really glued on there. Then tried for a while to pry the bead over the lip with various improvised tools like crowbars. Nothing doing without it looking like I'd damage the rim first. Then decided to cut the bead with a recip saw to save time (!). No go. Busted a bimetal blade on the bead. Good I didn't try my pricier oscillating tool blade. Then decided to cut it through with a grinder disk. Even that was a struggle, thought the thing would burst in flames at times. But worked, if slowly. Finally ended up cutting the whole thing through to remove it.

I don't think I'd bank on being able to remove a biggish tire without proper tools and much more practice. Seems like a miracle to me that they are even able to do it in a shop with a machine without bending the lip or damaging the tire.

Tires are tough...

How d' you do it?

Having something to actually hold the assembly is big. Otherwise its a fůcko no matter how you go about it.

Plenty of tires get damaged on machines too.

I actually have one of those HF tire remover stands/tools and I have used it for small trailer tires but looking at it I think I would have turned it into a pretzel with the truck tire I just did. I may try to beef it up a little and see if it can be useful for biggish tires.

I may also see if I can get some more serious tire irons with good leverage and design to avoid rim damage. It is just too embarrassing to be reminded how inept I am when I see these guys replacing a car tire in 2 mins flat on youtube with just a couple of screwdrivers and some spit... :)

On the plus side I'll see if I can get a couple of good bungee straps out of that tire...

I destroyed the bead breaker function on my HF tool removing tires from my Tacoma rims. The steel is totally inadequate for truck tires. All the guys on YouTube are using that tool on Chevy Cavalier wheels lol.

yes, that bit is clearly inadequate. But easy to remedy. The other bit that looks questionable is the pin to prevent the wheel from turning. Not very beefy either.

Tires are truly amazingly tough if you think about it. They can last up to 100,000 miles and 15 years being beaten/rubbed continuously by pavement... Try building something that can do that from scratch in your shop!

TyrePliers

Yes, they work. Hard work, big hammer but gets it done. Got to have a good set of spoons.

In oz on my split rims I use tyrepliers and they work great. But, then removing a tyre on a split rim is relatively easy once you have broken the bead.

Mate has an R&R unit for the tyres on his troopy that are on conventional rims. The tool works great to remove and reseat the tyre over the rim without breaking a serious sweat. Highly recommended.

cheers,
george.

when I broke the bead on that latest tire, I used my HiLift on the rear hitch receiver. It actually lifted the back of my heavy 80 quite a bit before the bead broke. That was really on there...

FYI, that tyrepliers site up there in post 6 is flagged as infected by my AVAST...

when I broke the bead on that latest tire, I used my HiLift on the rear hitch receiver. It actually lifted the back of my heavy 80 quite a bit before the bead broke. That was really on there...

While you have some down pressure on the tire with the jack hit the tire near the bead with a small sledge.

These are the tools I use for tires. I bust a lot of tires and these work great. The slide hammer is about 30 pounds and can break most beads pretty quick. The pink bar is a Ken-Tool 34645 and it is the bees knees for both dismount and mounting. Also don't forget the lube! Black Jack is pure vegetable soap and doesn't cause corrosion or eat rubber like dish soap or oil based lubes. You can also use the lube to help seat stubborn beads.

MVIMG_20200721_073729.jpg

I had 13 tires to swap around and decided at $25 per I might as well get the tools. For aluminum rims you also need rim protection or they will at least scratch and at most dent. Was able to do 114 load easy. 125 load was harder, but achievable. 129 load I had no chance of getting it mounted before I was going to damage the rim. Had to pay for that set. Ended up with two Ken tools, three shorter levers, bead cream, a box of stick on weights, a box of plastic bbs, and Bubble balance jig.bubble balance gets it close, and then the bbs deal with dynamic balance and mud and stuff. Using floor jack and ratchet strap to break bead.

^ very helpful to see some numbers on the rating issue! Thanks.
Do you think you could have done the heaviest ones if it were a steel rim?

If I didn’t care about scratches, sure. That makes it much easier. A steel tire lever on aluminum rims is delicate. Also the 129 load were three ply sidewalls, while the 125 and 114 were 2 ply. That may be a factor as well.

FYI, that tyrepliers site up there in post 6 is flagged as infected by my AVAST...
Geez, just getting back to this. Didn‘t know. I usually go right to factory site for links.
I apologize.

In oz on my split rims I use tyrepliers and they work great. But, then removing a tyre on a split rim is relatively easy once you have broken the bead.

Mate has an R&R unit for the tyres on his troopy that are on conventional rims. The tool works great to remove and reseat the tyre over the rim without breaking a serious sweat. Highly recommended.

cheers,
george.
That tool looks a heck of a lot less strenuous than the tyrepliers. Have you used it personally?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom