Dang it. Bike rack recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very good point. I probably should have specified that. Itll carry all my kids bikes too, but the head tube design on road bikes doesn't work well with it. I'll try to get some pictures of it on and loaded next week some time. My wife has a road bike that I put on her little car. I'm not a road bike kind of guy...

Yeah, I have bike issues. 3 mtb, 1 fat, 1 road, 1 cross, 1 townie...if it has two wheels and no motor I'm into it.

That's a great option if it meets your needs (ie: not intended for road bikes). I know they are burly.

Very good point. I probably should have specified that. Itll carry all my kids bikes too, but the head tube design on road bikes doesn't work well with it. I'll try to get some pictures of it on and loaded next week some time. My wife has a road bike that I put on her little car. I'm not a road bike kind of guy...

Well that's unfortunate. I sold off my roadies, but I do still have a Specialized AWOL for gravel and commuting. It doesn't get transported as often as the mountain bikes, but I still need to occasionally.

Can either of you be more specific about how/why it can't carry a roadie? It looks like the fork mount might be too wide for a standard road fork, but my AWOL has clearance for MTB tires, so might be wide enough?

Well that's unfortunate. I sold off my roadies, but I do still have a Specialized AWOL for gravel and commuting. It doesn't get transported as often as the mountain bikes, but I still need to occasionally.

Can either of you be more specific about how/why it can't carry a roadie? It looks like the fork mount might be too wide for a standard road fork, but my AWOL has clearance for MTB tires, so might be wide enough?
I would contact them. They are a very small company and the owner will pick up the phone or call you right back. Super nice guy and the racks are amazing. I'm sure he will be able to answer the question better than I can.

However, the main issue with road bikes is the fork neck proximity to the head tube. The tines on the rack can be bent slightly but if you've got room for a mud tire or if it's a hybrid style bike, likely you'll be ok. If it's a triathlon bike, I wouldn't recommend it. It's ideally designed for mountain bikes

I have gone thru similar search when I first bought my 2016 and coming from Yakima 4-bike rack which worked great on my previous X5 and Land Rover, I needed a rack with a long hitch so I can fully open the hatch with all bikes on the rack.

The only 4-bike rack I found to fit the bill was from Saris. A bit spendy but super practical. Will try upload pics later from my LC.

Amazon.com: Saris Freedom SuperClamp 4 Bike Rack: Sports & Outdoors

I'm looking at the ATOC DraftMaster. Seems like it might work for you too.

Draftmaster Single/SWB Racks

4runner50%20cropped%20h.jpg

To me, they all sit too low. That's why I wish I could attach an accessory-only receiver to my swing out. That would let it move out of the way with the tire...and raise bikes well off the ground for departure angle.

Lots of good options here I had not seen or considered before. Man, that 1UP is totally tits. But I think I'll go for the hitch extension first and save a few dollars for a lift, then reevaluate my needs in a couple of years. Thanks for all the input!

I have 3 kids and run one of these. Works great. I have the 6 bike version. I was originally looking to do the 4 tray 1UP but this rack is amazing.

North Shore Bike Racks

Skip the North Shore and get a Recon Rack if carrying more than 3 bikes. I have the second gen and it works great for 5 with none of the issues of fork rub that the North Shore has and great customer service. If carrying 2-3 bikes, the one up is hard to beat. I have both and use both, carrying bikes 10,000+ miles a year (my kid races downhill).

Home

Recon Rack Co (@recon_racks) • Instagram photos and videos

While you are at it, order an Abus KS chain and 92w/65 lock at the same time so your bikes are still there when you get back. Cables are a 20 second deterrent. The Abus combo will require a torch or grinder to get through and stall them for several minutes (as good as it gets) and help keep thieves looking for easier targets. I am anal about it, as I sometimes have to leave $20,000 of bikes on the rack overnight.

1up. Because its awesome, has clearance and super easy to use.
1UPUSA.com Bicycle Racks

View attachment 1477068

Yo Willy... Can you do the 1up angle-downward thing and post of pick from the side as you attempt to open your tire swing out?

I don't expect it to clear, but am interested to see if it's even close. things get trickier if you need to open drawers (since you have to full open the swing-out and tail-gate to open them).

Pretty please with a beer on top???

Yo Willy... Can you do the 1up angle-downward thing and post of pick from the side as you attempt to open your tire swing out?

I don't expect it to clear, but am interested to see if it's even close. things get trickier if you need to open drawers (since you have to full open the swing-out and tail-gate to open them).

Pretty please with a beer on top???
@Markuson I'll get some pics posted tomorrow. I just took it off about an hour ago. Gotta put the "chilren" to bed

BTW, I use 1UP as well. Have for a few years now. Love it. The most bikes I am ever carrying is 2 so I have the "single" with an extension that I can put on if I am carrying someone else's bike along with my own. I'll also see if I can find time to post some pics today.

My Yakima Swing Daddy worked fine on the 100 where the hitch was below the bumper, but it's too tall for the 200 with the hitch in the bumper. The upward goose neck hits the tailgate latch. The rack arms are also very high now, making it somewhat more difficult to put a bike on as they're about eye level and this will only get worse when I get a lift and bigger tires.

Nv98rq0.jpg

I have a Yakima HoldUp, it's a great rack but the tailgate latch hits in the same way as the picture above. It doesn't cause a problem for me but it would be an issue if I had drawers in the back.

If I am going to a local trail I just use a Yakima FontLoader on the Prinsu roof rack. The HoldUp is really only used for DH bikes or trips with multiple bikes - it doesn't stay on the LC all the time.

Saris Freedom Super Clamp 4!!!! I've upgraded mine with two sets of fat tire cups.

Great feature is it can tilt down and away while loaded or unloaded for better access to trunk.

IMG_5975.JPG

IMG_1150.jpg

Curious- does the T2 allow for the tailgate to open without contacting rack parts and things?

Had the t2. Rear lift gate won't swing open when the rack is closed. Dont recall if the tailgate opens when rack is down. Seems like it didn't. Sold the t2 and got a Kuat. The fact that it doesn't interfere with the lift gate makes it 10x better for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom