Dana 44 with power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, can anyone give me some pointers here. Ive got a Dana 44 going in the front of my 40. I want to run a power steering box (Saginaw maybe). Can I do this and keep the steering arm on the drivers side or do I have to go to crossover?

My steering box cant be put above the axle like a Chevy does (v8 in the way). If I run a steering box out in front of the grill like I see everyone doing on Saginaw steering setups, is there any way I can connect it to that drivers side steering arm?

I was just trying to avoid buying all the cross over stuff and having to have my knuckles machined

What are we work'n on? Full width? soa? What's the plan?

there are less expensive ways - Ford used a cross-over steering on their rigs. There are two different cross bars for those axles, one has the hole about in the middle for the steering stabilizer, but one has the hole near the knuckle... I have seen people use that cross shaft for a cross over, but I've also heard dire warnings about using that as well.... I think you may wish to ask about cross over steering on Pirate on the full-size GM truck forum.

For the sake of geometry the answer should be no. The type of steering you are talking about would be just fine on the highway most of the time. It would be a disaster off road. Crossover gives the suspension and steering independence. The steering is able to stay relatively true regardless of the angle on the suspension. If you attach the steering directly from the pitman to the center link or the same for the same sides steering arm. Steering will be effected by every little bit of suspension travel. You can read that as "hit a small bump on the road, turned hard right".

If i go to crossover is there any complications with running a mid 80's Chevy box? What is the advantage of the Saginaw box over one of these

For the sake of geometry the answer should be no. The type of steering you are talking about would be just fine on the highway most of the time. It would be a disaster off road. Crossover gives the suspension and steering independence. The steering is able to stay relatively true regardless of the angle on the suspension. If you attach the steering directly from the pitman to the center link or the same for the same sides steering arm. Steering will be effected by every little bit of suspension travel. You can read that as "hit a small bump on the road, turned hard right".

GM 4x4 trucks since the beginning of GM building their own 4x4s used this design until 1991. but you are right, you need to get this geometry right. I thought I needed a raised pitman arm on my pickup (lifted 3"), I put it on, and it was frightening to drive... not darty, but it'd rip the steering wheel out of your hand driving straight down the road.

If i go to crossover is there any complications with running a mid 80's Chevy box? What is the advantage of the Saginaw box over one of these

I don't understand your question - saginaw made all of the steering boxes for GM since the beginning of time until now.

I guess I was confused. Why isn't it called a Chevy power steering conversion then? The Saginaw conversions ive seen are mounted inside the frame rails, can one be mounted outside the frame rails?

Does a box mounted outside the frame rails help with steering shaft clearance? What about pitman arm clearence with the tire? Is there a non scout box that mounts outside the frame rails?

Nothing against the scout box, just looking for alternatives in case my junk yard doesn't have one. Thx Buickguy

There are Toyota steering boxes that are the same configuration as the Scout box, 80 series I think. They also mount in the same location as the Scout box. Chevy Astro boxes have also been used, but not as often. They are located inside the frame, behind the radiator crossmember, and in very close quarters to other engine components.

Personally, I like the Scout box. I have one to install if I can ever get my 40 running again.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom