Dan & Bill: Can you update us on water injection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving to the Adirondacks this weekend, I started to hear/feel what could be described as a misfire when under heavy load (I was pulling about 1500 lb est.) Just sort of felt like you'd hit a bump with only one axle--very odd feeling. I don't know if this was detonation as I've never "felt" it with this engine and I couldn't hear anything. With the SC, I'm normally running premium fuel (92 oct here in East), so I didn't think this would be a problem. But I also noticed that I was running higher EGT temps than normal: about 1400 on hills where I would have expected 50-100 degrees less based on past experience.

So...I started thinking about colder plugs and the water/alcohol injection system that Dan and Bill had put on (I think Mike had put it on too? Can't remember his screen name or maybe I got Bill and Mike confusitated). Can you injection guys give us an update on how this kit is working for you and if/how it's cured your SC problems if any?

My next steps will be to get/install the colder plugs and do an injector cleaning, but it seems nonetheless that the Kazuma SC kit treads close to the limits of the engine's tolerance for detonation or other problems. Thanks,

Tom

Dude -- you should have TOLD me you were in the Adks -- I LOVE IT THERE!!

Here's some photos --

e

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=s2ntlvj.9twyjjn3&x=1&y=-r3vh5u

LinkPhoto

Tom,
Here is a link discussing the water/methanol system.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=5689;start=msg45486#msg45486

Dan's is and has been up and running can provide you with additional info. Mine is made but I will not be running for probably six months. Mike is the one (Thanks Mike) that got us started on this system and he choose to go with a different system than Dan and myself. He went with an Aquamist system as he had experience with it on a Miata IIRC. Hope this helps.
Bill

Tom,
Mike's nic is MTS.
-B-

I've been installing a SC on a Tundra V8. On that unit they used a 9th injector system. This 9th injector is a mechanical type and charges the air prior to the individual injectors. Pretty slick. Of course the unit came in damaged and we only had it up an running about 5 seconds :doh:.

Tom,

Bill's link sums up where we are at the moment. I'll add that the WI solved my High-speed knock perfectly. I think that I would have prefered some sort of different fuel management but I was unable to come up with anything that could be made to work with off-the-shelf components. Rumor has it that the 95+ fuel metering system is superior to the 93-4 and it lends it's self better to forced induction. I can't say as I have the old fuel management. The important points to ponder about WI are:

Tank size
Nozzle size
Rpm trigger speed
Boost
Mixture w/ Methanol.
Packing along Methanol for trips.
Treating the lines as fuel lines because a 50/50 mix will ignite.

On our Lake Powell trip I packed 3 gallons of Methanol in Coleman fuel cans and mixed it as needed. You aint gonna find it very easily when you are on the road. In above freezing temps, Methanol is not absolutely required. It's main benefit is it's ability to absorb heat and give you a bit of a power kick because it burns. In freezing weather YOU MUST RUN IT as it prevents freezing and damage to the pump and reservoir. In freezing weather, it would be possible to run washer solvent in a pinch. Washer solvent is prevented from freezing by Methanol. I'm not sure about the long term effects of the soaps used in washer solvent on the engine. I would not use washer solvent unless there was no alternative.

D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom