CVJ vs Reboot ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Under my LX this week and noticed a crack in one of my CV boots. Ordered a reboot kit to knock it out but ran across CVJ and wanted to get a few thoughts on CVJ vs. Reboot. I am confident I can do the reboot but wonder if it doesn't make sense to buy from CVJ and save the hassle.

Any love their CVJ axles? Anyone had any issues?

Happy Memorial Day!

I don't have experience with CVJ, but to me, one of the most important parts of the CV axles are the splines. If you buy any reman axles, those splines are already used and worn. That wear causes clunking and slop and play that makes the car feel old. It's a gamble buying reman.

I'll be buying new OEM Toyota axles this spring/summer. If you know your splines are good now, and have time and patience to kill, the reboot is an economical option. Otherwise, buy OEM Toyota.

I see no point in replacing a perfectly good cv axle if the only issue is a torn boot.

Where do you guys buy your reboot kits from? Links?

p/n 04427-60120 you can order from Beno here on the board. I used hose clamps instead of the crimp-on clamps that toyota uses. There is another guy on here that sells a kit with hose clamps of the correct width and rolled edges (so as not to cut the boot material)

Last edited:
Under my LX this week and noticed a crack in one of my CV boots. Ordered a reboot kit to knock it out but ran across CVJ and wanted to get a few thoughts on CVJ vs. Reboot. I am confident I can do the reboot but wonder if it doesn't make sense to buy from CVJ and save the hassle.

Any love their CVJ axles? Anyone had any issues?

Happy Memorial Day!

Pull the old CV and inspect to see if it was run dry, or if it was contaminated with dirt causing wear of the actual joint components. If it all looks good, reboot, the kit come with grease. Otherwise I would buy new (and I have) and be good for another 150k plus miles. I will keep a better eye in the new stuff, so I can re-boot if nec.

Pull the old CV and inspect to see if it was run dry, or if it was contaminated with dirt causing wear of the actual joint components. If it all looks good, reboot, the kit come with grease. Otherwise I would buy new (and I have) and be good for another 150k plus miles. I will keep a better eye in the new stuff, so I can re-boot if nec.

Thanks for the replies. I caught it before any loss of grease. It is starting to crack so I feel like the should not be contaminated. Will be tackling this in a few weeks.

I will add that if replacing the axle with new, also replace the axle to hub flange as it will have some wear which will cause some premature wear to the new axle splines over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom