CV axle issues...help please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Group,

After a torn boot, I've had my OEM CV's swapped with some aftermarket "stock replacement" axles and am experiencing on throttle vibrations. My mechanic suspects that the new CV's somehow are not able to handle the angle of misalignment when on throttle weight transfer causes front suspension droop and this is causing the shaking. With another of these aftermarket axles, he measured that it can take about 24° before binding and the angle that the ones on my truck are currently at about 26°.

What is the best front CV solution for these trucks? Do the OEM Toyota CV's offer greater angle range or is there some designed to fix this problem with lifted trucks?

Thanks for the help,
Will
IMG_7414web.jpg

It's well documented that a lot of people have issues with aftermarket cv's. Personally I just would have kept your OEM cv's and rebooted them, as they're probably the highest quality cv's you can run. Do you still have your OEM cv's? We're there any issues with them besides the torn boot?

Agree with DirtDawg. OEM without question. Too many issues with the aftermarket $65.00 replacements. Savings up front and issues shortly after installation.

There's a company in Colorado that will sell you a rebuilt OEM axle for $110ish, there is a core charge, but you get it back when you send it back to them. I would go that route if I had known about them before I had mine rebooted

There's a company in Colorado that will sell you a rebuilt OEM axle for $110ish, there is a core charge, but you get it back when you send it back to them. I would go that route if I had known about them before I had mine rebooted

Thanks guys for the info. I'm not sure if my mechanic kept the old ones. He said they were pretty worn. Rcmay, do you have a link for the rebuilt OEM option, in case my old ones are still around?

cvjaxles.com

I think These are the re-man'd axles you are looking for.

Unfortunately aftermarket CVs won't work. They work on Camrys all day, but like everything Land Cruiser expensive options work best.

I think most of the aftermarket cv axles bought through auto parts stores have a core charge- and the mistake made is not knowing the mechanic is returning the Toyota axle for the core credit (or rebuilding and selling them on eBay)

Either way your Toyota axles are prob long gone before you realize the error.

I had the front end clunk and bought two flanges (OEM) and CV axles (Aftermarket). I still hear the clunk to some extent. Now I feel like I should have gone with OEM CV axles. I still have the OEM axles removed from the truck. One has a torn boot, that's all!

Reboot and regrease OEMs. Less than $100 in parts. 2.5hrs in labor

Reboot and regrease OEMs. Less than $100 in parts. 2.5hrs in labor

2.5 hrs- Per side....if you done it before and everything comes out and in with out any trouble. It's not a fair time estimate for any first timers reading this.

It's not a hard job, and doing it yourself is a good excercise to better know your truck, to be capable to make a field repair, and know it was done right with out cutting corners. But if it's your first cv axle removal and rebuild, plan for more time.

2.5 hrs- Per side....if you done it before and everything comes out and in with out any trouble.

Of course YMMV with any repair/mod done to a 10+ year old vehicle. Thanks for clearing up those muddy waters.

Thanks everyone for the help with this costly error. OEM CV's are going back in it now. On the bench, the OEM CV's were measured to allow 40° before binding, aftermarket only 24°. Huge difference. Hopefully no other issues after the swap...lesson learned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom