CV Axle Grease (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mitchclem

Threads
I've done a fair amount of searching and reading through posts on this topic, but am looking for further clarification as my situation is a little different due to my location. My passenger side inboard boot is leaking a reasonable amount of grease at the small clamp (about 1/8" to 3/16" layer of leaked grease on axle shaft). These appear to be OEM axles and I am at 270,000 miles, so its hard to say if they are original or not. I have inspected the boot thoroughly and it is not torn or cracked whatsoever, but I do recognize that if grease is leaking at the clamp, the boot is likely not far off. When I am turning left at full lock, there is a slight groan (NOT a popping sound) that can be heard from the passenger CV axle, likely from lack of lubrication at the inboard CV joint. Ideally, I would be replacing both driver and passenger side CV axles with new OEM, but at $900 Canadian per side (yes, you read that correctly), I'll be putting that off until the borders are open and I can make the trek down to the land of the free. I'd like to just re-grease with a needle attachment and re-clamp with the McMaster-Carr style smooth band clamp and see where that gets me, and I would be buying the inner boot kit, PN 0443760080, just for the correct grease, but the best price I have been able to find for that in Canuck Bucks is $122 with shipping, which is one expensive tube of grease. I understand that using the OEM grease is the way to go, but has anyone had any long term luck with another product? Sidebar question: without actually sliding the boot down and seeing how much grease I lost, is there a way to know how much to add?

The standard reboot kit contains grease for both inner and outer joints (in two tubes, but it is identical grease). If you are going to be replacing the entire axles in the near future, you can regrease with a tube of polyurea or diurea grease. Urea greases in particular do not play well with others so that is definitely what I would go for if not using OEM grease. Fill until the boot is full!

Definitely do recommend doing the McMaster clamps.

The standard reboot kit contains grease for both inner and outer joints (in two tubes, but it is identical grease). If you are going to be replacing the entire axles in the near future, you can regrease with a tube of polyurea or diurea grease. Urea greases in particular do not play well with others so that is definitely what I would go for if not using OEM grease. Fill until the boot is full!

Definitely do recommend doing the McMaster clamps.
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say, but wouldn't I want a grease that will be compatible with the remaining OEM grease? if so, why would I go for a grease that does not play well with others?

If you are just looking for a temporary solution for one joint, then re-fill with a good grease and don't bother with the Toyota kit till you can go south again.

I like Valvoline Synpower Synthetic and according to the information sheet it can be used for CV joints (Amazon.ca sells it). To prevent incompatibility, just clean out the joint and booth. No need to overdo it. This is not a chemical incompatibility.

For my understand how can you check if your CV are OEM or not, is there a part # or something that helps us distinguish between OEM and aftermarket?

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say, but wouldn't I want a grease that will be compatible with the remaining OEM grease? if so, why would I go for a grease that does not play well with others?
Sorry if I was unclear — the OEM grease is a polyurea grease. Therefore, if you use a non-OEM grease, make sure it is also a urea grease. For example: https://lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_XtraHDGrease.pdf

I would also use the worm drive hose clamp. The OEM require a tool, and they can leak as well. I had a full factory axle that i install and it leaked a little bit at the band.

Sorry if I was unclear — the OEM grease is a polyurea grease. Therefore, if you use a non-OEM grease, make sure it is also a urea grease. For example: https://lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_XtraHDGrease.pdf
Crystal clear now, thanks for the clarification. I didn't know the OEM grease was urea based. That Lucas grease is one of the few my local parts store actually stocks, so I'll grab that today. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom