Custom Arm for Slee Dual Swingout? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am hoping this has been done, or if there is a fabricator that has a Slee rear bumper that may be able to help out. I have been racking my brain on how to mount a bike rack to my 100 series with the Slee dual swingout that would allow for me to access the rear. I have investigated the Kuat, Rakattach, and Wilco offroad hitch swingouts, but I would much rather integrate something onto the bumper rather then create a third latch and swingout mechanism.

I am thinking that a single arm with a 2 inch receiver on it angled up above the latch that I could install a bike tray. I would remove the ladder arm, replace it with the hitch arm, and make it a somewhat modular system. Has anyone done something similar? I do not have the ability to drop my rig off at a fab shop for days or weeks until they get to it, so I was curious if any fabricators or owners have done anything like this.

I am interested in an arm with this same design, but one that would replace the ladder swingout.
25757.jpg

I still am shocked that Slee has no solutions for sale to safely and conveniently carry a bike rack that would allow you to access the rear.

Thanks!

Check out John Watson @johnprolly on Instagram
He has, if I remember correctly, a Costa Fabrication rear bumper with a 2" receiver on the swing out. He uses a One Up bike rack.
This also allows for increased clearance to the rack

There are several discussions on the topic, but really satisfactory solutions are harder to come by that we would prefer. I personally will probably get a used Thule Spare Me and drill holes in the mounting plate (the plate doesn't account for our bolt pattern). Could also get one of those cheap strap onto the spare racks, but that's not really ideal...

Last edited:

There are several discussions on the topic, but really satisfactory solutions are harder to come by that we would prefer. I personally will probably get a used Thule Spare Me and drill holes in the mounting plate (the plate doesn't account for out bolt pattern). Could also get one of those cheap strap onto the spare racks, but that's not really ideal...

Yeah, it sure seems that way. It actually looks like a great gap in the market that a fabricator could fill and make a few bucks. I personally am looking for a way to mount a 1Up or other tray rack as I have carbon framed MTB's that I would rather not hang them by the frame. I did see that Gamiviti makes an accessory mount that puts a 2 inch receiver in the middle of your spare, but the offset puts the bikes way out to the right of the vehicle and wouldn't feel comfortable not having the bike rack centered.

I have reached out to a few local fabricators to see what they can do. Problem is I have no way to leave my car with them long term for fitment, etc.

Yeah, it sure seems that way. It actually looks like a great gap in the market that a fabricator could fill and make a few bucks. I personally am looking for a way to mount a 1Up or other tray rack as I have carbon framed MTB's that I would rather not hang them by the frame. I did see that Gamiviti makes an accessory mount that puts a 2 inch receiver in the middle of your spare, but the offset puts the bikes way out to the right of the vehicle and wouldn't feel comfortable not having the bike rack centered.

I have reached out to a few local fabricators to see what they can do. Problem is I have no way to leave my car with them long term for fitment, etc.
North Shore racks claims to have enough clearance for their hitch mount to clear a spare tire, but I think that the difference in something like a stock FJ Cruiser tire and a tire mounted on a Slee swingout may not work? I'd be interested to see someone try.

Does your Slee bumper have a ladder? BIOR has a Vertical bike holder, and he's located in CO as well.

"Bike Rack For Second Swing Arm Allow the use of a tray system to mount two bikes vertically on the swing arm. Price: $200 including powder coating + shipping"

Does your Slee bumper have a ladder? BIOR has a Vertical bike holder, and he's located in CO as well.

"Bike Rack For Second Swing Arm Allow the use of a tray system to mount two bikes vertically on the swing arm. Price: $200 including powder coating + shipping"

I currently have a ladder. As a temporary option I was going to put a fork mount on my ladder, but my bike has a pretty long wheelbase and the rear tire hangs down below the bumper line. My brother in-law had the BIOR bike option, and his did the same thing. Basically he said he would never offroad with the bikes mounted as the second bike hangs WAY too low. This is why I am wanting a tray mount. After hearing how much clearance is lost to these hitch swing aways, 6+ Inches, makes me lean towards a custom arm like this guy on instagram. I love that the bikes are up high and out of the way! Can still wheel on mild trails.

Got ya. I think Mike can fab you about any custom configuration you want to get the clearance you're looking for.

Where are you located? I’d be interested in looking at what you’re hoping to accomplish, and I’m in Highlands Ranch.

I am hoping this has been done, or if there is a fabricator that has a Slee rear bumper that may be able to help out. I have been racking my brain on how to mount a bike rack to my 100 series with the Slee dual swingout that would allow for me to access the rear. I have investigated the Kuat, Rakattach, and Wilco offroad hitch swingouts, but I would much rather integrate something onto the bumper rather then create a third latch and swingout mechanism.

I am thinking that a single arm with a 2 inch receiver on it angled up above the latch that I could install a bike tray. I would remove the ladder arm, replace it with the hitch arm, and make it a somewhat modular system. Has anyone done something similar? I do not have the ability to drop my rig off at a fab shop for days or weeks until they get to it, so I was curious if any fabricators or owners have done anything like this.

I am interested in an arm with this same design, but one that would replace the ladder swingout.
25757.jpg

I still am shocked that Slee has no solutions for sale to safely and conveniently carry a bike rack that would allow you to access the rear.

Thanks!

Why not just Fab up a hitch mount? Weld it to the base of the ladder swingout. Dissent generally builds in a 2 inch receiver into his accessory tray. Shouldn't be too difficult to do

Amazon product ASIN B00VGL7LG8
Anybody use this or something similar to gain enough clearance around their spare tire on a Slee bumper?? I don't feel like wasting the $25 and don't currently have a hitch rack...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom