Crusher's favorite motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is an '86 LJ70 from Germany (lx, vx or ltx). it has the powerful 2.4 turbo that Crusher is so fond of, and the peddles are on the correct side.

20130927_123204[1].jpg

Last edited:
I'm still bugging it out, but besides the hack job on the electrical, and some long over due maintenance, most of the surprises have been pleasant. no rust in the usual places or typical of all cruisers damage, so, so far so good, and with all that power, it's a blast to drive. What do you guys do for manuals?

notice the '62 get's the shady spot

20131005_164852.jpg

This is the clock on my '62. These are mi, not km
it had 130K on it when I bought it, so I've only added 555K, but with the tire correction at @ 4.9 % it's been down the road a few times.

20131102_154232.jpg

if I can get my name on the list of "who get's checks" from Washington, I"ll just forward it to Onur for my parts bill. for the last 2 weeks I've been working on my brother's seats, steering, wierd noise and next brakes, and then doing another knuckle job for the nice italian lady down the block who cooks me exotic dinner's and bakes me pies, oh, and let's me catch giant snook off her dock. So I've cannibalized the part's for the 70 and spread them across a 40, 62 and 80. So glad I know a real parts professional, just need a money tree.

I think I'd need training wheels if my peddles were on the "right" side.

looks nice and clean ... now if you can get almost 700K miles out of her like your old 60 then supper and beer is on me.

seriously, they are a sweet ride (the old 2LT is a lot more reliable than the "E" cousin. and ... i found better on fuel, more power ... okay minimal but noticable)

the power band is certainly not an orchestra, and even more so than my '62, a good tailwind is of great benefit. The most perplexing thing so far is body electrical. Once I get it sorted out, is there any way to put taiil lights where they belong? Is there a lense assembly from a different model that can fit, or modified to fit?

not sure what you mean but all the 7* tail lights are the same in the body ... change the bulbs to what ever voltage you need.
exception: pickups and those blacked out lights from Oz and Holland and areas like that.

not sure what you mean but all the 7* tail lights are the same in the body ... change the bulbs to what ever voltage you need.
exception: pickups and those blacked out lights from Oz and Holland and areas like that.

That's what it has. the lights are mounted in the bumper, and the spot where the light assemblage should be si covered with a piece of black plastic. I know in parts of asia they had this setup, but I thought it was a local modification.

it seems if there was a step bumper in some locals the lights had to be moved to the bumper ... dumb.
you might need to run the electrical up but that is where the factory are ... all the same.
new are cheap.

it seems if there was a step bumper in some locals the lights had to be moved to the bumper ... dumb.
you might need to run the electrical up but that is where the factory are ... all the same.
new are cheap.

Can you recommend a source?

That's what it has. the lights are mounted in the bumper, and the spot where the light assemblage should be si covered with a piece of black plastic. I know in parts of asia they had this setup, but I thought it was a local modification.

Hi Guys
The Model you have is known as a 70VX in Europe. Sunroof, elect/windows, velour trim, chrome whells and wheel arch extensions.

The rear light setup was a requirement in some countries because on the standard 70 if your rear doors are opened at night time on a dark road the rear lights are totally obscured from the rear.

The lights cluster in the rear bumpers suffered badly with rust because of their location. If you need to replace them the unit from a 90 series should fit.

Hope this helps

I have those lights on my truck, which is also an 86 lj70. Let me know if you want a picture.

I've been able to get the lights working in the bumper, and I recognize the issues with being able to see the tail/brake/turn on the right side if they were mounted on the body, you wouldn't be able to see them, due to the spare carrier location.
It would seem that this issue would be the same with any of the 70 series, right?

I've been able to get the lights working in the bumper, and I recognize the issues with being able to see the tail/brake/turn on the right side if they were mounted on the body, you wouldn't be able to see them, due to the spare carrier location.
It would seem that this issue would be the same with any of the 70 series, right?

Yep, all SWB & LWB 70s but then again any vehicle with side opening doors and rear mounted spare wheel will suffer the same problem.

Very nice LJ you have, how is the bodywork behind the wheel arch extensions as any Irish or UK models I have seen over the years have suffered badly behind the extensions.

true point, the spare mounted on the side would obscure the signal lights, no matter what vehicle it was on.
Here in U.S.A., the ambulance doors are only on a few vehicles, horizontal gate is the common configuration, and the spare is usually on a swing out mount, which puts the spare near the center.
I'm considering several options, and I'm not in a hurry to change the bumper, so I may want to use the bumper for reverse lights (LED with angle parabola), and put the drive/brake/flasher up on the fenders.
On the rust, it looks like the worst is where the flares are attached. Not cancer yet, but it would have been soon, it's been stopped, but a permanent repair and seal is in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom