Cruisin Off Road M101 CDN Trailer Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The legs were a bit of a connundrum. We were limited to 3/4" thickness for them. We'll see on the first couple trips how this setup works, and if there are any improvements that can be made.

Thanks,

Looks really nice. Another leg solution for your kitchen is a folding table assembly that has hieght adjustment.

Looks great man.

Love the pull out kitchen.........quick question, what are the sliders you are using rated for? I was thinking of doing something like this but didnt want to shell out a hundred bucks for the sliders..........was hoping to be able to slide it out and just have a leg drop down to bear most of the weight..kinda like you have,,............like a kickstand

The slides are a couple simple strips of plastic (EPDM) that is bolted to a flat bar strip with some counter sunk bolts. The kitchen rides directly on the plastic slides, and has a strip on either side to keep it lined up. Materials cost about $20. I looked around for big drawer slides, but I couldn't find any that would extend the full 6' long. Besides, this was much simpler.

Jason,

Can you please provide more details on your tailgate seal? What is the profile? Do you have a part number? Source?

How much space did you leave for the seal to compress and form a tight seal?

Thanks!

I recently picked up a CDN M101, which I'm going to be setting up for camping use over the winter. I'll start the thread now, and gradually update as the trailer takes shape. My basic plan calls for a lid with a RTT, a removable awning off the back, a tailgate, and a pull-out kitchen. I also use the trailer as a utility trailer, so I plan on keeping the mods easy to remove when I need to haul stuff instead.

First bit of progress was cutting in the tailgate. I used a set of 80 series tailgate hinges, mounted upside down. This allows the gate to sit below the level of the floor of the trailer when it is open (this will become important later...). I reinforced the panel with some 1x1 square tube, and left a 1" lip all the way around. I'll be using this as a sealing surface for the weather seal. I'm sourcing some door seal to mount just inside the box of the trailer so when the gate is closed it will be completely sealed from water and dust. Also I left the top rail of the trailer intact, since I don't need it out, and it will keep the structure solid and square. This will also keep sealing the lid easier. Haven't quite decided what type of latch I'm going to use on the tailgate. I will make it lockable, though I don't need to worry about rattles since the rubber seal will keep it snug.

And now, for the pics: First - tailgate down showing the reinforcement inside
Second - I wanted to keep the back of the trailer looking original, so you can hardly tell its been chopped.
Third - I'm going to paint it all Khaki when I'm done. I want to keep a military look to it, but the Khaki will match my truck nicely. I picked up some camo spray bombs to touch it up as I go though, so here's a sample of the colour.

-Jason
View attachment 465038View attachment 465039View attachment 465040
Can I ask what you used to cut the tailgate? Your cuts look straight and thin. Also did you cut from the inside or outside?

Can I ask what you used to cut the tailgate? Your cuts look straight and thin. Also did you cut from the inside or outside?
I use very thin zip discs/cutoff discs on an angle grinder. Mostly done from the outside. I make a line with a sharpie and take my time to follow the line for nice straight cuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom