Cruisin Off Road M101 CDN Trailer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice progress! Sweet tailgate and great looking kitchen (wow, it's BIG!).
Love it.

True craftsmanship at it finest. Damn that is looking good!
I might suggest adding a third hinge like the original Land-cruiser drop-down style. If any thing really heavy was sitting in the center it might bow a little. I did a similar tailgate mod and decided to add the third after using it for a while.
But then again I was hauling mt. stone down to our cabin:rolleyes:

True craftsmanship at it finest. Damn that is looking good!
I might suggest adding a third hinge like the original Land-cruiser drop-down style. If any thing really heavy was sitting in the center it might bow a little. I did a similar tailgate mod and decided to add the third after using it for a while.
But then again I was hauling mt. stone down to our cabin:rolleyes:

A good thought. Though for my use I probably won't bother. If I'm moving anything really heavy I'll probably just drop the gate to vertical and load directly to the bed of the trailer. I'm thinking that if/when I add chains to hold it horizontal they will probably be medium duty anyway.

Major progress!

Well, I spent a good chunk of the week working on the trailer. I made up some stabilizer jacks so the trailer won't wobble around when sleeping in the RTT, and I won't have to worry about it falling on its bum if I load too much stuff into the back while the kitchen is sticking out.

If I end up putting big fenders on it down the road I'll probably have to rethink the rear ones, but this works quite well for now. Multiple holes on each bar spaced 1" apart to deal with varied terrain, and removable feet for soft ground. The front one can be stowed horizontally for travel so I don't have to worry about it hitting the spare on the back of the truck. For most travel the rear ones I'll just stow in the high position. If I'm in really nasty terrain I will just remove the legs and stash them inside the trailer.
IMG_5411.jpg
IMG_5412.jpg
IMG_5413.jpg

Here's the front stabilizer in the stowed position
IMG_5416.jpg

I also got the lid done. I went quite light (16ga), and put a couple simple stiffening ribs on the inside. I also figure the RTT will add some strength to it since it sits directly on the top of the lid and is bolted on near the ribs. The lower lip has a full rain lip that wraps over the top rail of the trailer. Some foam tape on the lid and it should seal out the elements pretty well. I still have to get some struts for it, but aside from that it should be good to go.

I put on a prime coat of epoxy primer, then spray bombed the sand colour over top. The primer is very light grey in colour, so I left the inside in primer so it will be a bit lighter when looking for stuff in there. I also added 3 LED stick on puck lights to the inside of the lid for some interior light.
IMG_5418.jpg
IMG_5421.jpg
IMG_5423.jpg

I also got the RTT bolted on today. I set it up and climbed around in it. With the stabilizer legs down it's quite stable. At first and second glance I am pretty impressed with the quality and operation of the Camping Labs RTT. I'll post up my observations once I've camped in it a few times. Overall I'm very pleased with how this project is coming together.

My next challenge is figuring out a way to mount an awning off the back of the trailer in a way that will be easily set-up and removed. I'm planning to travel with the awning mounted to the side of the roof rack on the truck, then when I get to the destination attach a couple poles at the back of the trailer (somehow. This is the part I haven't sorted out yet) and attach the awning to that. The key is to make the whole process simple yet robust. If anyone has built or seen something like this please post up a link so I can check it out for ideas ;)
IMG_5470.jpg
IMG_5471.jpg
IMG_5472.jpg

Sweet lid, and color.

If you are planning a bolt on type fender like I have, and a strengthening gusset from the top of the fender to the tub, what about building in a receiver on the fender in that location. Or do you think leverage would play to big a role. Alternatively, if you are going to weld on the framework for the fenders, and skin over like the Dude did, the receiver idea would still work. Store the legs on the fender, or inside the trailer, attached to the lid.

At a quick glance you could miss that there is a tailgate built in. That's nice.

Frank at http://www.strutwise.com/ is the one to see about the struts.

gb

Last edited:
I'm imagining that the receiver located near the fender brace would probably give enough strength. Maybe I'd add another brace under the fender too just to be extra beefy.

I'll head out to see Frank in a couple weeks for struts.

Thought I'd post up a couple shots of the (almost) finished unit. Got the struts mounted for the lid the other day. Still scratching my noggin on the best way to rig up a tarp or a big awning. I'm sure the breakthrough will hit some night at 3am... Also going to make up a propane tank mount for the front, but I have a pretty good idea how that's going to come together. Lets call it 90% done, but usable now. The break in trip will be Moab in a few weeks.
IMG_5667.jpg
IMG_5671.jpg

Moab from BC?.. That's some 'break in' trip. :D Are those the original tires?

Your trailer is very well laid out and I think it looks great! Have a good trip.

:cheers:

Are those the original tires?

They sure look like the original tires. I have put on about 15000km on mine with the originals with no problems at all, but I do have a spare just in case.

Moab from BC?.. That's some 'break in' trip. :D Are those the original tires?

Your trailer is very well laid out and I think it looks great! Have a good trip.

:cheers:

As far as I can tell they're original. I'll be taking a spare along on the trip. They've got to be about the most under worked tire around, being so far below their load rating, so I don't think there will be any problems with them generating heat and coming apart.

Looks really nice. Another leg solution for your kitchen is a folding table assembly that has hieght adjustment.

Looks great man.

Wow!!

Love the pull out kitchen.........quick question, what are the sliders you are using rated for? I was thinking of doing something like this but didnt want to shell out a hundred bucks for the sliders..........was hoping to be able to slide it out and just have a leg drop down to bear most of the weight..kinda like you have,,............like a kickstand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom