Cruisers built tough? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Soggy 60 here on the board has over 420,000 miles with out a rebuild...

You only bet a 30 pack???!!!

BET

did you happen to get this bet in writting?i would,knowing that he would loose his behind.i got 196k on my 60 still going strong not much for a toyota.the true meaning of FORD,Driver Returns On Foot,happens to ford owners all the time.when i was still working for an independent shop,70% of cars that we work on are fords and most of them share the same problems.the toyota will beat ford by a mile at least when it comes to break downs and reliability.:cool: john

Ive got 226K on my 88 FJ62...
Original engine and she leaks NOTHING, uses NO OIL and never misses a beat.
I did replace the oil pan and gasket cuz there was a leak, but aside from that...Ive really done nothing to it except RM to it.

Now, my DD is a Ford F150, 1997...
Ive never had a LICK of trouble with it, but it only has 145K on it.
Ive had it "off road" ONCE...and when I say off road, I mean...dirt trails and nothing else, and it will NEVER happen again. The thing is a PUSS! "Built Ford tough my ASS"!

No contest...The cruiser is the SH*T!

Chicago

My Cruiser is a family heirloom, I got it from my Dad and and Step Mom
That's great! It has become the same in our family. We bought our '90 FJ62 new. We brought our first-born home from the hosptial in it, and it is a family treasure. None of the family would ever let me sell it. That first-born's life-long wish has been for that Cruiser to be his to drive when he's old enough...and he now is. 187K, original engine, tranny, and major components, original paint and not a spec of rust (that's AZ for you). Even the dash is like new thanks to many years with a custom-fitted cover, and garaging. The cover disintegrated, but we keep the dash treated now with 303. Purrs and is still going strong. We are having to do some cosmetic restoration here and there, though, like re-attaching a trim piece or re-paint the wiper blades, etc. The Sequoia has taken a lot of the Cruiser's load in the last couple of years.

Find a Ford SUV that old with that mileage and condition...AND that kind of respect and following. I hope you like beer. :D:beer:

Last edited:
my Fiona has 230,000 mi and no issues other than reg maint. clutch, coolat hose was leaking, and a carb rebuild i did in a day.

we dont have a lot of experience with F engines over here...But the Hj60 is known to be extremely durable...
Mine is still a puppy, with a mere 366000km on the counter..

I talked to a guy that had one with 850000 km on it... and he had been haulin' a 2 ton trailer for atleast 50% of those km's

"weeell ,, the clutch is a bit worn. And it smokes a little bit when i start it in the winter" (-10/25c) is all he had to "complain about"

:)
And if your friends ford should outlast your cruizer, The joke's on him... for having the most boring/ordenary/common truck you can get---for years...:cheers:

I dont know anything about the earlier ford motors but I can vouch for the Ford triton 5.4 V-8. its a workhorse, uber reliable tons of power and smooth as silk.
Ford makes great trucks. Spend anytime in the mid west lately? the guys that use them for work dont drive Toyotas. Of course that might change if Toyota enters the "real" full size diesel truck market. ;)

How about F'd--Over--Rebuilt--Dodge?

Depends on how you take care of them.

My motor was toast @ 172K. :mad: The PO didn't really do any service on it.

FWIW my wifes first truck was a 88 Ford Ranger. It now belongs to her sister. It has 240k+ on the original drive train. Its still going strong.

The toy should outlast a ford anyday if maintained like everyone else said. But.......If the ford has the 4.9 L6 watch out. I have seen well over 300k on those ..Must be an inline thing.

but I can vouch for the Ford triton 5.4 V-8.

Correct my if I'm wrong, but that motor has only been around for about 10 years. They're not that old yet.

Now, as much as I pick on Fords, being on old Chev faithful (before the LC), the old 302 and 351's were great motors. Lots of torque, plenty of longevity.

Ford = Found Over Rubbish Dumps
The Cruiser will outlast the ford anyday, but im biased

My ex inlaws put 500k on a 85fj 60 but also got 300k outa the clutch :grinpimp: it had no nuts but would still drive down the road ok they sold it and I guy took it overseas :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom