Cruiser Spottings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think I might have spotted @sailingcruiser today at Lowes on James Island
20181130_080339.jpg

Went to Cosco today and carded 2 cruisers.
A 62 and an 80
20181209_124800.jpg
20181209_124604.jpg

ECABA535-B82A-4FE1-88A0-260B1A07E801.jpeg

I spotted this ‘77 st Holy City Sign on Longpoint Rd next to Two Blokes. Billy just got it from his father-in-law, a 20 year barn find. He plans to do an LS swap.

I spotted David Milligan in his silver FJC in Myrtle Beach today by my work. I had a chance to call him on the phone and talk to him for a few minutes. He has 360,000 miles on his FJC now! I invited him back over here and to our next meeting maybe in Georgetown...

Wow, haven't heard from in a couple of years. 360,000, I didn't think those things could go that far. Good to hear.

I saw a 40 up in summerville at a dealer, I think buyer's choice (or something like that off main str 17A), Yellow (Like Brandog's FJ). I didn't stop to see a price.

Check with Glen at Lex-tech, if he can't, he'll know who can.
McIntosh imports, also

Check with Glen at Lex-tech, if he can't, he'll know who can.
McIntosh imports, also

FWIW, I DM'd Glenn earlier last week on the site and I just called up to Lex Tech and asked for an appointment to check out my 40 and the guy who answered the phone said somewhat rudely "Glenn doesn't work on old Landcruiser's anymore." After a period of silence I asked if I could maybe speak with him as a favor and got the same reply. His suggestion was to call Trollhole's which I found ridiculous. My buddies who work at the local dealerships still say Glenn is the guy when it comes to old Landcruisers in Charleston, but apparently not anymore. Nothing earlier than an 80. Called Macintosh's. They will still work on old trucks, but their first appointment is 3 weeks from now.

FWIW, I DM'd Glenn earlier last week on the site and I just called up to Lex Tech and asked for an appointment to check out my 40 and the guy who answered the phone said somewhat rudely "Glenn doesn't work on old Landcruiser's anymore." After a period of silence I asked if I could maybe speak with him as a favor and got the same reply. His suggestion was to call Trollhole's which I found ridiculous. My buddies who work at the local dealerships still say Glenn is the guy when it comes to old Landcruisers in Charleston, but apparently not anymore. Nothing earlier than an 80. Called Macintosh's. They will still work on old trucks, but their first appointment is 3 weeks from now.
Several years ago, Glenn went in to business with Rick (the guy that likely answered the phone), and moved to their new location in West Ashley (I think this was 2013ish). Rick pointed out that Glenn was spending far too much time on the old 40's and 60's. He was right. From a profitability standpoint, Glenn could turn out 5 new Lexus sedans in the time it would take to get started on a 40 for the same price. Furthermore, they take up space in the bay that he needs since he doesn't have a terribly large operation. He knows the trucks REALLY well, but he takes them back to stock, and most 40's are far from stock when they arrive. Glenn owned a very nice 40 and a built 80 but he no longer has interest in the vintage cruisers. Oh, and last time I was there, he mentioned that he doesn't want to touch 80's anymore either.

If you want to keep the truck local, Macintosh is the place to go, from what I understand. I met him at Cars and Coffee and he seems like a nice enough guy. He is also good with other trucks. I'm not sure how well your truck runs, but I would argue that Trollhole's is one of the best Cruiser places in the country. And it's in South Carolina. He's worked on all of my trucks. I even had a mishap on my FJ40 and he drove all the way from Greenville to Charleston to fix it - then he turned around and went home. Free of charge.

What do you need done? Are you looking for someone to restore it or do you just need some maintenance? This club is overdue for a HAMOM - I have a LOT of work to do and I will be free from the bonds of school in a few months.

Thanks for the insight. I have used Macintosh and really enjoyed the experience. I do most of My own work and have been spoiled living in Maine where I had a buddy with a lift. prior to moving to Charleston now I’m like a fish out off water I need to replace the bushings for the front control arms so a press is needed and do my front brakes. I know the 80s pretty well and am happy to help others out in a labor trade! Any thoughts are welcome

Calendars coming, and there will be a couple of HAMOMs on there, one of which will be to swap springs and shocks on the Chick'n.

Several years ago, Glenn went in to business with Rick (the guy that likely answered the phone), and moved to their new location in West Ashley (I think this was 2013ish). Rick pointed out that Glenn was spending far too much time on the old 40's and 60's. He was right. From a profitability standpoint, Glenn could turn out 5 new Lexus sedans in the time it would take to get started on a 40 for the same price. Furthermore, they take up space in the bay that he needs since he doesn't have a terribly large operation. He knows the trucks REALLY well, but he takes them back to stock, and most 40's are far from stock when they arrive. Glenn owned a very nice 40 and a built 80 but he no longer has interest in the vintage cruisers. Oh, and last time I was there, he mentioned that he doesn't want to touch 80's anymore either.

If you want to keep the truck local, Macintosh is the place to go, from what I understand. I met him at Cars and Coffee and he seems like a nice enough guy. He is also good with other trucks. I'm not sure how well your truck runs, but I would argue that Trollhole's is one of the best Cruiser places in the country. And it's in South Carolina. He's worked on all of my trucks. I even had a mishap on my FJ40 and he drove all the way from Greenville to Charleston to fix it - then he turned around and went home. Free of charge.

What do you need done? Are you looking for someone to restore it or do you just need some maintenance? This club is overdue for a HAMOM - I have a LOT of work to do and I will be free from the bonds of school in a few months.

Thanks @CharlestonG8R. I totally get it for those guys from a business standpoint. It's way more profitable to do maintenance and swap parts on newer vehicles. So I guess we really need to end the "Glenn is the Landcruiser guy in Charleston" even in a pinch. I have an appt with McIntosh, but end of the month, but I'd really like to get this addressed before then. I've talked to Marshall. That's an excellent testimonial. Seems like a good dude, but I don't have the time to trek all the way up there.

I pretty much do my own work also. Dude what I need seems pretty basic. I believe it was your 40 you took me for a ride in at Cars and Coffee that got me wanting to take every squeak and rattle out of mine. I have been chasing a small vibration/clacking when I hit really small bumps (before I get into the leafs). I've tightened everything I can think of and it's still there. I wanted to get it aligned, camber and castor and all of that good stuff checked and the steering angles etc looked at. The system is anything but stock with an OME lift, shackle reverse, anti-inversion shackles, Saginaw power steering conversion, Ididit column swap running a stout V8 and 150lb winch on the front bumper. Like I say, I have some go to guys for stuff that's over my head who are super mechanics (dealership guys), but not a lot of experience with ancient technology like this. It may be as simple as an alignment and that probably isn't a bad place to start, but frankly I am very hesitant to let any Joe blow tire shop have at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom