Cruiser Maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a somewhat lengthy post but please take the time to read for when it comes to cruisers i'm a moron, thanx.

I've been excited about cruisers for the past 6-8 months now, I love the look, style, history of all cruisers but have a few questions before I commit to making a purchase.

I've been leaning toward a FJ62, 1) for the roomy interior 2) I don't plan on doing any HARDCORE offroading, may like to ride a trail or two.

How reliable is a 62 (of course that would determine the shape its in and what its been through), but if I were to find a nice one, is it really worth it?

As in "worth it" I mean I dont wanna buy an 89 model car for $10,000 and a year later forced to drop $3000 more in it just to keep it running.

I've often thought of just dropping my late cruiser obsession and looking at some late 1999-2002 Tacomas, as I'm sure they would be reliable since they'd be close to new, but damn I'd sure like to own a cruiser.

Sure, if I bought a FJ62 it would be over 10years old and require some maintenance, but just how much maintenance. If I'm going to have a child in the next year, I don't need high maintenance issues popping up here and there.

I know by cruising (hehe cruising) this site, I've seen numerous threads of problems with this and that, and a few "OMG I"M SCREWED" occurences. Is there any specific thing to really watch out for before purchasing?

And one more thing, look at this:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...advanced=n&start_year=1984&color=&cardist=106

What does the GX stand for? I've seen a few of these pop up here and there, special???

Thank you for your time and response.

I've had my 89 since 1991..2nd owner 25k on the clock. Maintenance consists of rubber every 60k, pads every now and again, new rotors at @ 125k, toyo reman alt and new water pump @ 140k, little exhaust here and there, oil, filters, and I'm guessing on my 4th set of plugs and second set of wires and dcap. Batteries go at least 5 years. I've got 176k on it now and runs like a champ....no too speedy but thats the nature of the beast. I'd say it has been extremely low maintenace.

Things to look out for in the 60/62 is body rust. Around the rear wheel openings, lower rear quaters, lower front fenders, and some up in the roof gutter.

Not sure what the GX is all about.

If you're looking to spend 10 grand, jump up to an 80 series.
Any cruiser could be a lemon, for $10k it better not be. Check maintenence records, look for lower mileage, or sometimes if the PO is obviously meticulous and knows his stuff, mileage is not nearly as important.

Thanx to both of you so far for your replies, sounds pretty good so far. Maintenance seems basic, as you would with any other vehicle. Thanks.

And depending on my wife and I's next raise at work will determine how much I can spend. I'm hoping to be able to afford between 5-10k.

Back to the ad I'd posted before from autotrader. This cruisers got over 200,000 miles on it but has had a few things rebuilt replaced, what do you all think of it?

I think it looks wonderful, but not having seen it in person yet, you never know.

Would you be suspicious of how well it actually still runs after 2ook mileage?

I'm asking you this because you people actually know technical issues with these machines and would probably know if this cruiser is still dependable after his/her upgrades/replacements.

Thanx again.

I'm with CruisinGA on the 80 series comments. If I wasn't addicted to the 40 series or the 45 Wagons, my next cruiser would be an 80 Series, although I must admit I have seen some nice 60/62 set ups that would have a magnetic affect if I weren't all Cruiser'd up right now.

Good Luck either way, and remember not to jump on any of them. Check them out; and if you've got a doubt, don't let it get you down, it's probably a good think you're over-cautious if you're not crazy about the mechanics of these vehicles, because you CAN and most likely WILL get into some serious work if you're anything like the rest of us.

IV

[quote author=TJDIV link=board=1;threadid=9623;start=msg84480#msg84480 date=1073254774]
-k , +g
[/quote]

?

Good Thingking, Tommy.... :cheers:

Thanks for the encouragment, and no I don't know much about vehicle mechanics and the sort.

So, that's why I'm kinda lookin for a cruiser thats' been pampered a bit and is not likely to crap out on me in 6-12 months ya know?

Not being as mechanically inclined as I'd wish to be, I think it'd be fun to learn!

I'll only mention this a couple more times, hehe, but about the ad I posted on the 89' FJ62.

If you had, lets say $12,000 in the bank and were really interested in aquiring a nice 62, and it was within range of picking up... would you jump at this opportunity?

Could you list me a few reasons why you "would/wouldn't" go for this particular cruizer? I'm curious.

Thanx. ;)

[quote author=TJDIV link=board=1;threadid=9623;start=msg84479#msg84479 date=1073254739]
I'm with CruisinGA on the 80 series comments. If I wasn't addicted to the 40 series or the 45 Wagons, my next cruiser would be an 80 Series, although I must admit I have seen some nice 60/62 set ups that would have a magnetic affect if I weren't all Cruiser'd up right now.

Good Luck either way, and remember not to jump on any of them. Check them out; and if you've got a doubt, don't let it get you down, it's probably a good think you're over-cautious if you're not crazy about the mechanics of these vehicles, because you CAN and most likely WILL get into some serious work if you're anything like the rest of us.

IV
[/quote]

Oh, and I'm sorry, I sort of ignored your comments on the 80. LOL

And why would you go for an 80 kind sir!?

Any thing in particular that stands out on an 80 that would assist in making your decision?

Aren't there a few years that the 80's (I've read on here I believe) are quite underpowered?

Thanx Again.

I like the look and style of the 80 over a 62; heard the 92 and earlier were under-powered.

My decision on the 80 was actually based more toward business anyway; I thought it too fit better with my business needs as far as having a respectable car that didn't look like such an offroad monster. However, I've realized I don't necessarily NEED an 80, but quite possibly might be in the market with you within the month.

It's personal preferrence. My view on the 60/62's I've seen is that most will require much more maintenance than the other 80's I've looked at, and the idea behind an 80 series for me is hands off dependability. I see myself toying with a 60/62 much more than an 80, and I already have enough f&ckin' toys.

Tom IV

I hear ya bro. :D

I dunno what it is but I like the classy look of the 62 and I guess it's in the middle for me as far as offroading and more professional look goes.

I just thought the 62 is the perfect in between cruiser, since I don't know much about them, you may ask why I think that way.

I think it's probably capable of mild offroading but in the same respect cleans up well for a family style vehicle or road trip, what have you.

If I were single and didn't plan on having a family and/or just had enough money to own three or for vehicles I'd preferrably go for a 40, I absolutely love the look and ruggedness of a 40, but that is not to be for sure.(not anytime soon anyways.)

Cheers. :cheers:

That 62 in the trader looks to be a decent vehicle, but $11K is more than you should be spending on a 62. You can find decent mileaged 80 series from the good years (93-97) for that price. Of course, the rig does sound like it's had some nice work done to it. If I were in love with the 62 and had to have that one and it passed the QC check I would give it (watch out for that sneaky rust!!!) and it was in as good as shape as the seller is stating, then I would probably offer around $7K to $8K MAX for it.

It's not worth paying $11K for a 62 when the the 80 series Cruisers can be found for that price. The mileage does turn me off a bit as well. You can find an 80 with ~100K less miles than that for right near that same price (around here anyways...), granted the motor has been rebuilt, but who knows how good the job was done? I don't care if it was a certified mechanic or not...is there any warranty on the rebuild still? The PO of my FJ60 had the motor rebuilt at about 125K, I bought it at 145K and have treated her pretty good, but now at 170K, she's just about ready to give up the ghost. Terrible compression on four out of the six cylinders and spewing black goo out the exhaust...tranny is starting to get noisy...blah blah

So, anyway, to sum up what I think: If I had $12K sittin' in the bank and wanted a Cruiser, no, I would not buy that 62. I would hold out and find a decent mileaged 93-97 80 series that has a bigger, better, stronger engine, coil suspension, and vastly improved creature comforts (and diff locks of course) and all the other good reasons to get an 80 over a 62--especially if it is only going to be lightly off-roaded. The 80 series will be a million times more comfortable.

-Ferg-

if ya can find a cruiser with and good frame and engine for cheap you can use the extra money fixing body rust and geting some fresh paint on there. maybe with some extra money left over for mods
good luck
-al

Ferg you do have an excellent point there bud.

And when I usually search around for cruizers, mostly anything over 10k that is over 10 years old I don't even bother looking, but this one just caught my eye and have been concentrating hard on it ever since.

But you are right 11k is too much to ask unless it's pristine. Especially being past the 200k mark.

Hell if I looked hard enough I could find a damn nice Tacoma for that!

This is prolly more reasonable:http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...d&advanced=n&start_year=1984&color=&cardist=0

And the guy lives just across town. I frequently take the long route to work in the mornings just to see the 62 and the other really nice one he has parked in front of the house. There are at times five or more 62's parked in his driveway (friends I guess) and I've thought to myself a time or two of just stopping and chatting it up with him.

For 6k I believe this would be a better deal if I'm still interested in a couple months. And I'm sure he prolly takes really good care of his vehicles seeing as to where he has a few already and is willing to let one go.

The other one that sits in front of his place (his son's I pressume) is twice as nice as the one shown.

You guys have been a great help to me. Thanx.

[quote author==IndyJonez= link=board=1;threadid=9623;start=msg84493#msg84493 date=1073255777]
Oh, and I'm sorry, I sort of ignored your comments on the 80. LOL

And why would you go for an 80 kind sir!?

Any thing in particular that stands out on an 80 that would assist in making your decision?

Aren't there a few years that the 80's (I've read on here I believe) are quite underpowered?

Thanx Again.

[/quote]
93-97 80's Have arguably the best inline 6 Toyota ever made, an indestructable (unless your JUNK) drivetrain, tons of creature comforts and luxury, 4 wheel discs w/ABS, factory optionable differential lockers.
Less likely to need attention, more power, and flat out newer tha 62's.
I would never consider spending more than 7k on an average 62, I could have purchased a 94 80 w/difflocks that was meticulously maintained for $9000.
For 11k a 62 would more or less have to be new for me to buy it. Even then I might buy an 80 instead.
Don't get me wrong, I like 62's as much as the next guy, but they are kind of the ugly redheaded stepchild of cruisers, and people want way too much for the clean ones.

Don't get me wrong, I like 62's as much as the next guy, but they are kind of the ugly redheaded stepchild of cruisers, and people want way too much for the clean ones.

I think they are the last of the classic wagons...I do like the 80's but IMHO the ugly redheaded step child of the bunch is the new 100's. Ungainly Lincoln Navigator looking things.

dude it sure sounds like you want a 60/62. Go with what you really want or you'll just keep lusting. I wouldn't get a 40 for your daily driver, btw, I did that for a year and I can't imagine a wife and kid being down with it ;)

Going outside now to put mirrors on the [now admittedly a toy] BJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom