Cross model parts -> Will air bag cover from Camry fit my 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
localcred.com
In a moment of stupidity, I left my moonroof open in the summer time all night on the Oregon coast before a torrential rain storm. In the morning I found about 2 inches of water in my rig. After getting home, removing the carpet and drying things out everything was fine except the air bag cover. It's blistered and looks like junk. :whoops:

So... I need a new grey airbag cover for my 1997 Landcruiser. Since they seem to be one of the first things to go when a LC is parted out, I was thinking of expanding my search to other Toyota models. For example, I found the 1998 Camry airbag cover looks idential to the 1997 Landcruiser.

1998 Toyota Camry Airbag Cover:
98corolla_ce_int.jpg

If I found a grey Camery airbag cover, would it fit my rig?

Thanks,

Rich
98corolla_ce_int.jpg

Are you talking about the steering wheel air bag? If so there isn't a replaceable cover on it, it is one unit, the bag is sealed inside the cover.
If you are talking about the passenger side there is a cover that could be replaced on that one.
What exactly is wrong with yours? You said blistered, the water did it? I don't see how water can damage the finish on an airbag?
If it is just the finish you can repaint it. First you will have to remove the blistering finish, some good vinyl prep or lacquer thinner will take the old finish off and hopefully the blisters. From there you can mask everything off and give it a couple coats of color.
Be careful with anything you do around the airbags though, I would disconnect the battery just to make sure and don't use anything that will eat through the cover. A rag dampened with thinner should be fine though (at least it was on mine I just did)
Rusty

Are you talking about the steering wheel air bag?
Yep.

If so there isn't a replaceable cover on it, it is one unit, the bag is sealed inside the cover.
Cool. Thanks. So I guess my options are to figure out how to paint the airbag or buy another unit?

What exactly is wrong with yours? You said blistered, the water did it? I don't see how water can damage the finish on an airbag?
I would have never thought water could cause this kind of damage either. The finish on the air bag has small blisters on it. Like baby acne. Some of them have popped, leaving the black rubber showing.

If it is just the finish you can repaint it. First you will have to remove the blistering finish, some good vinyl prep or lacquer thinner will take the old finish off and hopefully the blisters. From there you can mask everything off and give it a couple coats of color.
I'm not very confident in my own painting skills to make it look good. Perhaps a body shop could strip and repaint the airbag for me?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom