Cross country drive...which vehicle do you take? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

May be old, but may be helpful...

Good point, you did just say tin can and I assumed that was with respect to safety. But others in this thread are more directly saying that.

I’d also argue the rav is less likely to get into an accident in the first place, with the more car-biased platform and IRS being better at dynamic handling.
Yeah, I didn’t mean it’s literally a “tin can”just that it’s a bit small for my family to stretch out in and relax. Besides that, I have two girls and a wife who pack the entire freaking house for a 3 day trip 😵‍💫, so room is of the essence. Like I mentioned earlier, I wouldn’t buy my kid a RAV4 if I thought it was unsafe. I bought it because of all the safety features, crash test ratings and good awd system.

Just moved from NY to Texas and did the drive in the cruiser.

Yes she was a gas hog. Yes she got scraped up a bit bc coming out of a DC parking garage bc of her longer wheelbase and driver negligence.

however the cool box of prosperity combined with insulated cabin made her a very pleasant place to be. We even did some off roading visiting farmers markets along the way. The biggest advantage was the V8 in some harrowing moments with 18 wheelers merging, this thing freaking hauls at high revs to take over in a hurry.
Don’t NY my TX. Thanks.

Just did a mild cross country trip from Albuquerque to Ohio and decided to drive the wifes Subaru. As another poster said, I'd rather keep the boring miles off of my Cruiser. We dont have kids, just 2 dogs. Didnt do any sightseeing. Next week however I will be going out to our Boulder City place and will definitely be driving my HE. If I had the RAV4 I would be driving it on your trip. As long as you have enough room in it for everything you are taking.

Dont TX my NM! Tons of Texas license plates moving here.
My friends in Colorado joke that I’m not a real Texan because I haven’t bought property in SWCO.

But I digress. My vote rav4, based on the boring miles, as others pointed out. Though @Angelo1 makes a very good point about daughter/wife trip packing habits.

Dont TX my NM! Tons of Texas license plates moving here.
They’re probably just driving through, I don’t think anyone lives in NM by choice. Just kidding, I see so many out of state plates around here and it gets frustrating when people leave a place because the taxes and cost of living have gotten too high, and then keep voting like they did at their old location. The definition of insanity comes to mind. Im sure we’ve all heard the complaints both ways, I’m mostly just joking around on here.

I would vote 200!

I am sure you have driven through the plains of Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, parts of WY/MT etc. and a 200 series VS the RAV4 in those winds and the speed of the other drivers makes it any easy decision for me. But personally I prefer to drive a Land Cruiser any day!

My favorite thing about visiting the 200 section is how alot of threads digress to the lack of tech in a 200 and how awesome Tesla’s are to drive!

The 200 is one of the best built rigs of the past 25 years, enjoy it!

I would vote 200!

I am sure you have driven through the plains of Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, parts of WY/MT etc. and a 200 series VS the RAV4 in those winds and the speed of the other drivers makes it any easy decision for me. But personally I prefer to drive a Land Cruiser any day!

My favorite thing about visiting the 200 section is how alot of threads digress to the lack of tech in a 200 and how awesome Tesla’s are to drive!

I agree about lack of tech always being brought up and it similarly confuses me. As long as I can play a podcast I’m good to go. Don’t need radar cruise, heads up displays, espresso machine in the center console, etc. I’m a simple guy I guess. The 200 tows my camper like a dream, that’s all that matters.

Yeah, I didn’t mean it’s literally a “tin can”just that it’s a bit small for my family to stretch out in and relax. Besides that, I have two girls and a wife who pack the entire freaking house for a 3 day trip 😵‍💫, so room is of the essence. Like I mentioned earlier, I wouldn’t buy my kid a RAV4 if I thought it was unsafe. I bought it because of all the safety features, crash test ratings and good awd system.

Just did a mild cross country trip from Albuquerque to Ohio and decided to drive the wifes Subaru. As another poster said, I'd rather keep the boring miles off of my Cruiser. We dont have kids, just 2 dogs. Didnt do any sightseeing. Next week however I will be going out to our Boulder City place and will definitely be driving my HE. If I had the RAV4 I would be driving it on your trip. As long as you have enough room in it for everything you are taking.

I think both vehicles are safe enough. If we really lived with this fear of getting into a huge accident, we'd all be better off driving tanks no?

The main reason for leaning towards taking the RAV4 came down to how much are we packing? My wife and I pack light. When we fly, we stick to carry ons only. We've come to realize over time that less is truly more indeed. Our boys are 8 and 6, so their stuff is small and easily packs into one duffel. On this trip we're planning on two duffels and our yeti roadie 20. The boys love golf, so we're bringing their small clubs. I'll be using an extra set my FIL has in Chicago. That's it in terms of luggage. We'll do laundry as needed and have a rotation of clothes. So, plenty of room I feel and we are not packed anywhere near full.

I would vote 200!

Yes I have driven through those states. My wife and I actually drove out to Seattle from NYC when we moved back in 2010. At that time, we shipped all our stuff and did the drive in my Ford Focus SVT. That car was sure fun to drive with its 6spd manual. It was pretty light and I'm sure lighter than our RAV4 hybrid. We did hit some big thunderstorms and winds in the Dakotas but nothing that I felt I couldn't handle. I chalk it up to my years in the NYPD and being in the highway unit.

I can see the Model X being a pretty decent road tripper. It just depends on how quickly you want to get to your destination. I’m the type that wants to get to destination as quickly as possible and EVs are not going to do it if the trip is over 500mi.
I’m the same way (have done many trips with 17+ hours straight through), but I did a 2,000 mile one-way run in my Model S recently, and discovered that charging wasn’t actually an issue. I never waited more than 10 minutes in a location beyond what I would have anywhere (bathroom, food, check email and fire off a couple responses)

But, on the flip side, autopilot makes it SO EASY that you’re not exhausted at the end of the day

Yes I have driven through those states. My wife and I actually drove out to Seattle from NYC when we moved back in 2010. At that time, we shipped all our stuff and did the drive in my Ford Focus SVT. That car was sure fun to drive with its 6spd manual. It was pretty light and I'm sure lighter than our RAV4 hybrid. We did hit some big thunderstorms and winds in the Dakotas but nothing that I felt I couldn't handle. I chalk it up to my years in the NYPD and being in the highway unit.
SVT Focus is cool car, definitely a car I would want to drive as opposed to just being driven! With experience on the NYPD highway unit and the level of attentiveness that requires, you might be a long way from an Auto Pilot type drive anyway!

I Appreciate your service to the community, safe travels!

This is a kids car for getting to school. Maybe if I lived in Europe, the RAV4 would be an excellent touring vehicle but in America with so many big trucks and cars, it is a tin can. I couldn’t imagine driving a RAV4 for long distances packed with the family. Sounds absolutely miserable.
Have you driven the new Rav4? May not be large but it is not a ‘tin can’.

I've driven a 2021 Rav4. Had about a week behind the wheel. Its ok, cramped if you're coming from a full-size Seqouia, Tundra, or 200. I found the lane-centering to be really pleasant and made my drive a lot less tiring and was really relaxing. The only qualm is there is barely any sound insulation. Hyundais and Fords I've driven in the same price range have more sound insulation than a Rav4, so there was a really tinny feeling to the car. I'm sensitive to sound insulation and it tires/wears me out quickly.

Cruisers were made for cross-country travel. You have one so why not?

Have you driven the new Rav4? May not be large but it is not a ‘tin can’.
Yes, I bought one for my daughter. She loves it and when she heads to college, her younger sister will get it.

I’m the same way (have done many trips with 17+ hours straight through), but I did a 2,000 mile one-way run in my Model S recently, and discovered that charging wasn’t actually an issue. I never waited more than 10 minutes in a location beyond what I would have anywhere (bathroom, food, check email and fire off a couple responses)

But, on the flip side, autopilot makes it SO EASY that you’re not exhausted at the end of the day
How many miles can you go on a 10min charge?

Enjoy your 200 for the long safe journey it was designed to take you on...

Last edited:
How many miles can you go on a 10min charge?
To clarify, I was charging for 30-40 minutes, but I’d stop and get a meal, use the bathroom, and then it’d be ready to go. What I was saying is that I never waited more than 10 minutes longer than I would have stopped anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom