Crisis in our national parks: how tourists are loving nature to death (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
DATE: 11/20/2018

SOURCE: The Guardian

LINK: Crisis in our national parks: how tourists are loving nature to death

Long but interesting article regarding the increase in visitors to popular outdoor destinations and all the problems the increase causes. The authors attribute much of this increase to social media, an opinion I share.

The overcrowding is why we rarely visit places that are considered must see "destinations".

Article excerpt below. Use the link to read the entire thing. It is worth the time.

[begin excerpt]

Just before sunset near Page, Arizona, a parade of humanity marched up the sandy, half-mile trail toward Horseshoe Bend. They had come from all over the world. Some carried boxes of McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets, others cradled chihuahuas and a few men hid engagement rings in their pockets. But just about everyone had one thing at the ready: a cellphone to snap a picture.

Horseshoe Bend is one of the American west’s most celebrated overlooks. From a sheer sandstone precipice just a few miles outside Grand Canyon national park, visitors get a bird’s-eye view of the emerald Colorado river as it makes a U-turn 800ft below. Hundreds of miles from any large city, and nestled in the heart of south-west canyon country, Horseshoe Bend was once as lonely as it was beautiful.

“It was just a local place for family outings,” recalls Bill Diak, 73, who has lived in Page for 38 years and served three terms as its mayor. “But with the invention of the cellphone, things changed overnight.”

Horseshoe Bend is what happens when a patch of public land becomes #instagramfamous. Over the past decade photos have spread like wildfire on social media, catching the 7,000 residents of Page and local land managers off guard.

According to Diak, visitation grew from a few thousand annual visitors historically to 100,000 in 2010 – the year Instagram was launched. By 2015, an estimated 750,000 people made the pilgrimage. This year visitation is expected to reach 2 million.

Numbers used to peak in the summer but tourists now stream in all year round – nearly 5,000 a day.

“Social media is the number one driver,” said Maschelle Zia, who manages Horseshoe Bend for the Glen Canyon national recreation area. “People don’t come here for solitude. They are looking for the iconic photo.”

[end excerpt]

Last edited:
Good post, thank you for taking the time. We took a family visit to the Tetons and Yellowstone and it was as you illustrated in the article above. Crowds every where we went. Was not the event we had hoped.

Good post, thank you for taking the time. We took a family visit to the Tetons and Yellowstone and it was as you illustrated in the article above. Crowds every where we went. Was not the event we had hoped.
Exactly why we go to Moab instead. I rode for 5 days out there and barely saw anyone else on the trail. Town was pretty busy, but the trails were practically deserted. I can't imagine having to wait on a trail on my dirtbike.

“Social media is the number one driver,” said Maschelle Zia, who manages Horseshoe Bend for the Glen Canyon national recreation area. “People don’t come here for solitude. They are looking for the iconic photo.”

Not just the "iconic photo" but the selfie. Fortunately, most of these folks don't venture far from camping parking lots, and pavement.

The overcrowding is why we rarely visit places that are considered must see "destinations".

This is why I've changed my attitude about the creation of new National Parks/Monuments. I now oppose the thought. Stick a name on something and every Subaru-yahoo is going to head that direction. And they always want more and more amenities that wreck the reason it was preserved in the first place. Grand Staircase-Escalante NM, Bears Ears NM, and Valle Caldera Natl Preserve are examples. Those places used to be great destinations for solitude. Now they are great places for crowds with attitudes.

Those places used to be great destinations for solitude. Now they are great places for crowds with attitudes.

I enjoy peace, quiet and solitude. Being out with a handful of like minded friends is fine as well. If I wanted to be sardine canned in a crowd I'd go to Disney World.

Come to think of it, the crowds you encounter at these major outdoor destinations behave like they are at some theme park.

I enjoy peace, quiet and solitude. Being out with a handful of like minded friends is fine as well. If I wanted to be sardine canned in a crowd I'd go to YOSEMITE!

Come to think of it, the crowds you encounter at these major outdoor destinations behave like they are at some theme park.

Sadly...Fixed!

Excellent point and indeed sad.

Sad.

I'm surprised the recent high-profile vandalism stories weren't mentioned. Spray painting a promposal on a protected rock formation? 'F.ck outta here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom