Creations from our LockDown (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shrimp and andouille jambalaya with snickerdoodle cookies

J

IMG_20200427_163549102.jpg
IMG_20200427_174732140.jpg

Dang, the ground elk atop home made nixtamal Red Contico corn tortillas we had tonight was so damn good I forgot to take a pic! One of the best foodie things I've done the past few years was figuring out the nixtamal process.

Dang, the ground elk atop home made nixtamal Red Contico corn tortillas we had tonight was so damn good I forgot to take a pic! One of the best foodie things I've done the past few years was figuring out the nixtamal process.

We enjoy making tortillas. We used several natural "lime" alternatives but in the end the pickling lime works the best, skins wash right off.

We like a heartier texture similar to stone ground Hopi but thinner like a tortilla.

Last edited:
^ When I started making my own nixtamal I thoroughly washed & removed the slimy skin residue, post soaking in the calcium hydroxide aka "pickling lime". But as I kept reading and experimenting I have increased my soak time to about 20-hours and just do a light rinse leaving approximately 50% of the broken down skins, er slime, intact. I have found leaving some of the slimy skins for the nixtamal makes for much more pliable tortilla as well as enhancing the corn flavor.

Also, starting at about 20-25 minutes of low boil/high simmer during the cooking of the kernels process, I start tasting kernels determining when they are done just right. Again, if they're not over or under cooked, it makes a difference in the end tortilla's flexibility and natural resistance to cracking.

I keep learning!

Made pernil Cubano using Jose Enrique’s recipe but used blood orange juice instead of orange juice and fresh parsley instead of cilantro since that’s what I had. Cooked it in a crock pot rather than the oven then in the oven for a few minutes after shredding. It came out pretty good. Sorry no pics.

Arugula and Radishes from the garden, Baked Potato and Olive Oil, Lemon, Lime, Garlic , Thyme , Oregano, Salt ,Pepper Vacuum Sealed Marinated Chicken Kabobs. For me, vacuum sealing is the best way to infuse all the flavors into the meat.

20200509_155642.jpg

20200509_162650.jpg

20200509_163105.jpg

20200509_165712.jpg

Grocery store delivered 2 packs of ox tails instead of 2 beef briskets.😲 Looks like a one or 2 day prep for ox-tail soup. Flavor is wonderful but separating out the meat from the fat and bone is a real chore. I usually pass on making this because of all of the work. I’ll post some pics later As I go.

This became more of a stew because of the amount of meat. Cooked at 250f in a Dutch oven for around 8 hours, then poured out the juice and refrigerated to remove fat. Pulled out the bones and as much of the fat that that I could and refrigerased til the next day. From there it was a pretty conventional recipe for a French or German style stew.

E1D91B59-83F6-4F42-B650-42481E83CEA3.jpeg

8B6F13E9-813C-4C79-8B77-D230A4F971CA.jpeg

Pasta night, last night. Homemade semolina pasta, marinara with a little habanero-basil pesto and a poached egg yolk atop. Boom.

IMG_1494 2.jpg

Pizza night, tonight. Homemade cold-ferment dough, seasoned ground pork, swiss chard, etc. Better than takeout. Always.

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 10.19.57 PM.png

Shrimp boiled in beer, and a steamed artichoke.
Miracle Whip mixed with honey mustard salad dressing, and an extra shot of deli style grainy mustard
for dipping the thistle in. Cocktail sauce with extra horseradish for the shrimp.
We will need a lighter menu, as it is supposed to hit 105 to 109 F in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom