Builds Crazy Old Man on a Mountain 1987 "MOXIE" FJ60 Build!!! ***PRAYIN for a WOODEN roof *** (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@kelly saad needs a small window sticker with his paint shop (new?) name/logo. Kelly’s reputation and quality of work are something to show off and be proud of, just a thought.

Paint is on my mind. The trouble is that mine is a trail rig. It needs paint, but not the kind that limits my trail choices. I avoid trails where body damage is likely, but it's a vintage LandCruiser. These rigs deserve being taken care of. I would jump on the opportunity to have Kelly do his wizardry to mine. Maybe one day. Until then, I'll be adding more desert pinstriping.

Truck is outta the shop. Ive driven it a bit. Overall...not noticing a huge difference. Normal?? Def drives smoother (shocks) but not noticing a huge steering drivability increase.
Looks like you still have the HFS shackle lift. I had the same type of lift with flat OEM springs and worn shocks for almost 10 years. Last week I had them replaced with the full OME Dakar kit and felt a noticeable difference. The truck used to wander from side-to-side going down a straight road (you kinda get used to it) and I thought that maybe it was a steering box problem. That doesn't happen now. The Tech that installed the OME lift told me the problem was the shackle lift due to leverage issues and inevitable wear.

Funny coincidence. I spoke to Kelly last week and just couldn't pull the trigger because of the cost. The more I look into it, the more it's apparent that you get what you pay for...and in the case of Mr. Saad, maybe even a bit more. Congratulations, I think you took my summer spot and I know you'll never regret doing it right.

Looks like you still have the HFS shackle lift. I had the same type of lift with flat OEM springs and worn shocks for almost 10 years. Last week I had them replaced with the full OME Dakar kit and felt a noticeable difference. The truck used to wander from side-to-side going down a straight road (you kinda get used to it) and I thought that maybe it was a steering box problem. That doesn't happen now. The Tech that installed the OME lift told me the problem was the shackle lift due to leverage issues and inevitable wear.

Funny coincidence. I spoke to Kelly last week and just couldn't pull the trigger because of the cost. The more I look into it, the more it's apparent that you get what you pay for...and in the case of Mr. Saad, maybe even a bit more. Congratulations, I think you took my summer spot and I know you'll never regret doing it right.
woaoaoaoaoaao....may I ask how much was the the full OME Dakar kit???? And where can I find it? Also...I been contemplating paint for a lil over a year...but, man ya know..15k+ on a truck i paid $4250 for seems outta whack lololol. BUt now that ive gone and done the Sniper and other improvements im thinking itll be a lifer. only has 190k miles on it...PLUS I can always drop in a diesle if it dies. Im gnna look into this Dakar kit...and TYVM!!

Ultimate L/M Kit - Part# ED60ULM - $1865
Includes all necessary replacement components with completely Old Man Emu high quality components.

Includes:
2 - Front OME Emu Dakar Leaf Springs
2 - Front Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorber
2 - Rear OME Emu Dakar Leaf Springs
2 - Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorber
4 - OME Poly Spring Bushing Kits
1 - OME Greasable Front Shackle Kit
1 - OME Greasable Rear Shackle Kit
2 - OME Greasable Pin Kit
1 - OME Steering Stabilizer
8 - OME U-Bolts & Nuts
1 - Sway Bar Extensions & Fit Kit
1 - Hardware Fitting Kit

Is that reasonable?

better?

Ultimate Heavy Kit - Part# ED60UHV - $1930
Includes all necessary replacement components with completely Old Man Emu high quality components.

Includes:
2 - Front OME Emu Dakar Leaf Springs
2 - Front Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorber
2 - Rear OME Emu Dakar Leaf Springs
2 - Rear Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorber
4 - OME Poly Spring Bushing Kits
1 - OME Greasable Front Anti-Inversion Shackle Kit
1 - OME Greasable Rear Anti-Inversion Shackle Kit
2 - OME Greasable Pin Kit
1 - OME Steering Stabilizer
8 - OME U-Bolts & Nuts
1 - Sway Bar Extensions & Fit Kit
1 - Hardware Fitting Kit

woaoaoaoaoaao....may I ask how much was the the full OME Dakar kit???? And where can I find it? Also...I been contemplating paint for a lil over a year...but, man ya know..15k+ on a truck i paid $4250 for seems outta whack lololol. BUt now that ive gone and done the Sniper and other improvements im thinking itll be a lifer. only has 190k miles on it...PLUS I can always drop in a diesle if it dies. Im gnna look into this Dakar kit...and TYVM!!
I followed forum guidance and went through Cruiser Outfittter's in nearby Utah. Talk to them and let them know what you've done already to the suspension. They were very helpful. You won't need the whole kit (around $1850 with shipping)...just the lift springs, bushings and maybe a few extra bits. I believe you have new shocks and steering stabilizer?.

I must admit that despite the big improvement in handling, I was surprised that my rear end lifted a full 4" relative to the old set-up. There wasn't much change to the front height, so I have a bit of the stink-bug look. I had an extra leaf spring and preemptively added one short leaf to each of the left-side spring stacks. This was done to account for an expected low driver-side lean. Seemed to work like a champ as the vehicle now sits almost perfectly level side-to-side. Alternatively, you can get a "+" spring for the left side and a "0" or "-" spring for the right side. Sometimes it's perfect, but there are many members who have had issues with lean. Too many variables to understand why it doesn't work for some, but be comforted that the vast majority are very pleased they went with OME. I am.

You may need to mix & match. That is where Brice at CO was able to help and together we made a decision regarding the needed set-up. I have a heavy ARB bumper, so I put the heavier-duty springs on the front to accommodate that weight. I don't normally haul a lot of weight in the back, so I got the light/med for the rear.

I followed forum guidance and went through Cruiser Outfittter's in nearby Utah. Talk to them and let them know what you've done already to the suspension. They were very helpful. You won't need the whole kit (around $1850 with shipping)...just the lift springs, bushings and maybe a few extra bits. I believe you have new shocks and steering stabilizer?.

I must admit that despite the big improvement in handling, I was surprised that my rear end lifted a full 4" relative to the old set-up. There wasn't much change to the front height, so I have a bit of the stink-bug look. I had an extra leaf spring and preemptively added one short leaf to each of the left-side spring stacks. This was done to account for an expected low driver-side lean. Seemed to work like a champ as the vehicle now sits almost perfectly level side-to-side. Alternatively, you can get a "+" spring for the left side and a "0" or "-" spring for the right side. Sometimes it's perfect, but there are many members who have had issues with lean. Too many variables to understand why it doesn't work for some, but be comforted that the vast majority are very pleased they went with OME. I am.
right on. Ya, i was thinking i wldnt need the shocks or stabilizer as those are new. I have a random "knockin" noise when i corner at slow speeds...and i believe it has smthn to do with the old lift/shackles. its kinda a clunky "kachunk" kinda noise... that i can hear and maybe feel a lil bit. cant be serious...been there for 8 yrs lol

Apparently my HFS shackle lift + OEM springs may need replacing. Im not an offraoder but live in the Mtns and plan on running some old Mining trails eventually. Shocks + stabilizer new. A-what else am i gnna need? and B-any suggestions. #Thanks

HI WSOP...I'm sorry to say that I'm not the guy to help you more than I have. It's only because we seemed to have the exact same set-up prior to my OME lift that I felt qualified to report my own experience. We are traveling down parallel paths with respect to our trucks though. I've been buying parts for the last month and I've hand-made replacement stickers for my truck that I can use after the paint job.

BTW, after the snow and cold clear-up next week, can you send me some clear close-up pictures of your Emission's and Vacuum information stickers beneath the hood? Exact size too in mm. Don't bother if they are beat-up and not clear, I need good quality examples to make duplicates. And of course, I'll send you a new one for free after they are done. Some of these are available from @ToyotaMatt and you can see examples there.

I'll be sure to let you know if I come across some incredible new tip that makes a difference.

HI WSOP...I'm sorry to say that I'm not the guy to help you more than I have. It's only because we seemed to have the exact same set-up prior to my OME lift that I felt qualified to report my own experience. We are traveling down parallel paths with respect to our trucks though. I've been buying parts for the last month and I've hand-made replacement stickers for my truck that I can use after the paint job.

BTW, after the snow and cold clear-up next week, can you send me some clear close-up pictures of your Emission's and Vacuum information stickers beneath the hood? Exact size too in mm. Don't bother if they are beat-up and not clear, I need good quality examples to make duplicates. And of course, I'll send you a new one for free after they are done. Some of these are available from @ToyotaMatt and you can see examples there.

I'll be sure to let you know if I come across some incredible new tip that makes a difference.
Id be happy to...but I'm back east and my rig is in Colorado....not a telescopic lens available for that shot!

I wanna put my $.02 in. OME steering stabilizer is great, but I'd skip their shocks and go Bilstein's if I knew then what I know now. Moar betta. The stink bug effect goes away in a few months. I started with Heavy rear, added steel TT bumper, long range tank and then had to add a helper spring to make the rear Xtra-Heavy duty. The point is, it isn't a big deal to add-a-leaf later on.

I wanna put my $.02 in. OME steering stabilizer is great, but I'd skip their shocks and go Bilstein's if I knew then what I know now. Moar betta. The stink bug effect goes away in a few months. I started with Heavy rear, added steel TT bumper, long range tank and then had to add a helper spring to make the rear Xtra-Heavy duty. The point is, it isn't a big deal to add-a-leaf later on.
I have Blistiens. :) jus lookin for what to swap my leafs out for...and what ill need for that.

I have an exciting road trip being planned with my rig!!! Sometime in July ish I will fly into Denver, grab my rig then the fun begins!! Ill either be heading to @cruiseroutfit or @TRAIL TAILOR to have new suspension and H55 tranny + T-Case installed. Then headed down to Flagstaff to drop off my rig for an incredible Spa treatment with @kelly saad Where the body + Paint will be done!! Very excited to have all this done!!!

well, I pulled the trigger + ordered the H55+New T-Case from @cruiseroutfit A special thanks to you + your crew as they have been very helpful. Georg was also very generous with his time and its much appreciated. As most things it wasnt an easy decision and came down to price.

I am trying to find a machined flywheel if possible as my guy dsnt wanna deal with that part of the project. Found a crazy machined flywheel for $97 shipped on some Canadian site...but im not overly optimistic ill actually get it. lol.

I will have a 4-speed Transmission + T-case with aprox 200k miles on em for sale. HMU if interested.

Does anyone with a Sniper conversion also have the H55 swap? Wondering if the fun will be multiplied!

#AmazinglyStoked

Last edited:
I have an exciting road trip being planned with my rig!!! Sometime in July ish I will fly into Denver, grab my rig then the fun begins!! Ill either be heading to @cruiseroutfit or @TRAIL TAILOR to have new suspension and H55 tranny + T-Case installed. Then headed down to Flagstaff to drop off my rig for an incredible Spa treatment with @kelly saad Where the body + Paint will be done!! Very excited to have all this done!!!

I wish I were you. Awesome.

Visiting a buddy in Florida doing some Fishing.... DeepSea tommorow :) caught a nice lil Pompano from shore. While my Rig is getting the H55 transplant!!!! My Flywheel all tore up with a snapped bolt!! #SoExcite

Screenshot_20210413-175243~2.png

20210413_164806.jpg

20210413_153436.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom